Given up on Freesync

So after about 4 months of trying out different settings to get Freesync working properly on my monitor I bought late December 2019, I've decided to just give up!

I have a budget monitor; 49 inch Acer super ultrawide 3840x1080p 120hz Freesync 2.
The reported Freesync range is only 100 to 120. The "screen flickering" described below is "brightness flickering." The screen simply flashes "bright white" back and fourth flicker flicker flicker.

Using CRU, I've lowered the freesync range to 30 to 120.... Screen flickering. Others I've tried were 40 to 120; 50 to 120; 60 to 120... Still, nothing but screen flickering.

I've tried lowering the 120hz down to 100, 90, 80 and 75.... Then adjust the freesync range accordingly with CRU... Still... Screen flickering.
Tried capping the framerate when using the above refresh rates. I would cap between 2 and 3 below the selected refresh rate.... Still... Screen flickering. Believe me I tried using RTSS, in game limiter in AC and RF2, and AMD's Radeon Chill (setting both sliders the same to cap frame rate)... Still... Screen flickering. I even tried using Vsync with Freesync with and without a frame rate cap... Flickering is still there a bit but really laggy and studdery.

Tried using "extreme freesync" found on my monitors OSD options... Makes things worse....

Lastly, I've tried Enhanced sync and freesync together with no frame cap but still no luck.

Tried Enhanced Sync on its own no fps cap... Studdery mess!

My guess is.... Either your monitor must already have a wide enough freesync range like 60 to 120 (high end monitor)... Then use CRU to lower the low end and that should work. OR have a $1000 GPU (plus a solid CPU & MB) in order to maintain those high frame rates on a monitor like mine.

I only have a 580x gpu and i54440 cpu....

As much as I dislike Vsync... I decided to use it yesterday and have Freesync disabled. But this time, I lowered my refresh rate to 75hz using AMD software (My pc specs I know can easily maintain 75 fps with lots of cars on track on my previous monitor), I capped the frame rate with Radeon Chill @72fps (73fps was studdery... Haven't tried 74fps though).
And BOOM! Butter smooth display, consistent fps stable at 72 (brief dips to 60 right at the very beginning), no noticeable input lag at all! In AMD specs for RF2 that I was testing, it gave it 72fps avg "optimal" and 16ms input lag avg. Thats with a offline test 5 lap race with 26 cars with rolling start at Watkins Glen. Video settings set to high with things like shadows turned off or low. Sync in RF2 set to video. Overdrive available on my monitors OSD disabled as that caused studder problems. Silky silky silky smooth!!!!!

At the end of the day, I just want to race, learn to take better lines, learn car set ups, try cars and tracks that I've purchased but haven't tried yet.... Not wasting so much of my limited to trying to force something (freesync) to work when I should just be having fun with my sim racing hobby.

I'm done with freesync... Moved onto to using AMD's driver Vsync and chill to cap fps.... I'll do more testing with maybe a refresh rate of 80, then cap it at 77 or 75....

My monitor is a budget one, so is my pc.... Those specs won't gonna 120 fps to stay in 100 to 120 freesync range, unless I'm hot lapping. CRU doesn't work for me as any custom freesync range results in screen flickering.

I use Trackir and need a smooth screen. Freesync can't do what it says (at least not for budget hardware), I'll just use vsync -2, -3 or -5 fps frame rate cap using Radeon Chill. That works!

I have triple 75hz freesync Iiyama monitors. I had lots of issues too and ended up having to upgrade to be able to run freesync. I upgraded to 2080 gpu and 3700x and it works perfectly 99% ot the time.

BUt I read that you have to have vsync and gsync/freesync enabled at same time for it to work best, which is what I have done.

So I have vsync on in the Nvidia control panel global settings, and gsync compatable enabled in there too. And also have my cap set in Nvidia at 72. Works well (most of the time). But my issues if and when it does happen is the monitor goes black for a few seconds.

I have triple 75hz freesync Iiyama monitors. I had lots of issues too and ended up having to upgrade to be able to run freesync. I upgraded to 2080 gpu and 3700x and it works perfectly 99% ot the time.

BUt I read that you have to have vsync and gsync/freesync enabled at same time for it to work best, which is what I have done.

So I have vsync on in the Nvidia control panel global settings, and gsync compatable enabled in there too. And also have my cap set in Nvidia at 72. Works well (most of the time). But my issues if and when it does happen is the monitor goes black for a few seconds.

Thats strange I have the same monitor and had a problem with the screen randomly going black think it was the dp cable not had it since I switched to the hdmi that reminds me I need to purchase another dp cable

Are you able to tell what your gsync range is? Your pc can definitely handle steady 75 (72) fps. Your stock gsync range should be around 48-75?
And are you able to create a custom resolution in nvidia control panel and set your refresh rate to maybe 76 oc? Then select cvt(or ctv can't remember) reduced blanking? Sounds like your monitor is blanking "black screen." I'm not sure if you can create a custom gsync range like you can with CRU using freesync. If so, you can expand your range to 30 to 75... Cap fps at 72 and that should work without vsync. I too had a 75hz monitor. Freesync range was 56 to 75. I used CRU to create a range of 30 to 75 and used rtss to cap at 73fps (radeon chill not available at that time). That worked great, no black screen blanking, no screen flickering, no vsync, butter smooth. Few years ago I posted a video on IG using the settings above of me racing in an RD club. Had the camera on my head for a drivers view. I guess using trackir on a 34 inch ultrawide - things looked so smooth and me looking at the apex and checking mirrors and drivers beside me was enough to make someone in the comments to thinking it was VR? lol Since getting this new monitor and dealing with a freesync range of only 100-120... My experience has not been the same... I'm of the opinion that Gsync/Freesync should work for even low end pc's that can't maintain their monitors refresh rate. Then those syncing methods comes into play by doing as advertised "minimize input lag, eliminate screen tearing, all within the freesync/gsync range whatever it is." So I won't be using both. And for me, if using both, then my pc would only use vsync as I'll always be below 100fps with a full grid of cars, thereby not effectively making use of freesync.

This is probably a silly question but.....you're using a displayport rather than HDMI correct?

I'm using a dp cable, a better one that came with the monitor. Still screen flickering. Tried hdmi too but same result.

Are you able to tell what your gsync range is? Your pc can definitely handle steady 75 (72) fps. Your stock gsync range should be around 48-75?
And are you able to create a custom resolution in nvidia control panel and set your refresh rate to maybe 76 oc? Then select cvt(or ctv can't remember) reduced blanking? Sounds like your monitor is blanking "black screen." I'm not sure if you can create a custom gsync range like you can with CRU using freesync. If so, you can expand your range to 30 to 75... Cap fps at 72 and that should work without vsync. I too had a 75hz monitor. Freesync range was 56 to 75. I used CRU to create a range of 30 to 75 and used rtss to cap at 73fps (radeon chill not available at that time). That worked great, no black screen blanking, no screen flickering, no vsync, butter smooth. Few years ago I posted a video on IG using the settings above of me racing in an RD club. Had the camera on my head for a drivers view. I guess using trackir on a 34 inch ultrawide - things looked so smooth and me looking at the apex and checking mirrors and drivers beside me was enough to make someone in the comments to thinking it was VR? lol Since getting this new monitor and dealing with a freesync range of only 100-120... My experience has not been the same... I'm of the opinion that Gsync/Freesync should work for even low end pc's that can't maintain their monitors refresh rate. Then those syncing methods comes into play by doing as advertised "minimize input lag, eliminate screen tearing, all within the freesync/gsync range whatever it is." So I won't be using both. And for me, if using both, then my pc would only use vsync as I'll always be below 100fps with a full grid of cars, thereby not effectively making use of freesync.

I'm using a dp cable, a better one that came with the monitor. Still screen flickering. Tried hdmi too but same result.
I tried CRU prior to the upgrade and I had a nightmare. Screen went dead and I couldn't get it back online for ages. Might give another try some day but it does freak me out a bit! :unsure:

About a year ago I bought budget AOC C24G1 and while using freesync it was changing brightness when fps was fluctuating (looked like flickering).
I couldn't do anything about it, so I returned it and got LG monitor instead - no issues with it.

Just thought I'd provide an update to my Freesync woes....

All I had to do was simply set the top/higher end of my freesync range to just "1hz" under the current stock top/higher end freesync range of 120hz. This fixed all my blanking, brightness flickering and screen tearing issues. Monitor ain't broken... freesync ain't broken, well maybe if we have to do this lol... PC hardware ain't broken...

I tired it again, using the third party app to do this with CRU.

Solution: check this Reddit page. Only thing different I did was instead of adding a extension block like they did, I simply edited the current one. Did that for both my freesync and non freesync monitors.

Here's what I did as the Reddit page doesn't really provide full detail.
Left my monitors refresh rate at 120hz in Windows. In CRU, I change the freesync range from 60-120(stock) to 40-119. In CRU had to do this twice, first in the "detailed resolution range limits." And in the "Extension Block, freesync range." Then in AMD software, set Radeon Chill to 1 fps below (NOT THE MONITORS REFRESH RATE IN WINDOWS) but below the monitors top/higher end freesync range. Which is 118fps for me. Of course, set Radeon Chill to the exact lower end range of freesync range to 40fps in my case. So again cap fps to 118. Freesync range set to 40-119hz.

Did this on my non freesync monitor too and worked like a charm!!!! I overclocked the monitors refresh rate from 60 to 75hz in AMD software and used CRU to add freesync range of 40 to 74. Capped FPS to 73 with Radeon Chill also.

Just make sure your monitor's refresh rate is set properly. I use two monitors for different games and sometimes forget to check the refresh rate in Windows when switching. I've had a couple times of flicker, tearing and blanking. Only to realize Windows sometimes drops my refresh rate to 60 when it should be at 120.

This whole year until recently I always thought, capping your monitors refresh rate 1hz below your original refresh rate would fix freesync issues... No no no... Does nothing to fix freesync issues. Its the top end of the freesync range that needs to be lowered by only just one. Maybe 2 or 3 if you are still having issues, but 1 should be enough. Your monitors stock refresh rate can remain as is.
But on my non freesync ultrawide 34 inch monitor and my freesync 2 3840x1080p ultrawide monitor, the CRU method seems to work flawlessly. I've even cranked up my in game graphic settings now that I have freesync to help keep thangs all together. Before, when using Enhanced Sync and Anti-Lag from AMD, I had to game at the lowest graphic settings to ensure Enhanced Sync worked, because that is only effective above your monitors refresh rate. Unless you are tripple maybe double your refresh rate, Enhanced Sync should work as butter smooth as Freesync. But I would only manage 1 to 60fps above my refresh rate with enhanced sync. For a 120hz monitor that's not enough lol, but my pc ain't doing 240 to 360 fps full grid in AC. So gameplay was still a bit jittery looking around with Trackir but at least no screen tearing.

Hope this helps anyone else with issues. Worked for me on 2 different monitors from different manufactures one freesyn and the other not. Should work for everyone if steps followed correctly

I have the blanking issue myself. It's caused some amount of problems mid race mid corner.

I tried using cru before and it didn't go well. I couldn't get them back on.

I'm pretty good at following instructions but the Reddit post didn't do it for me. I've got triple iiyama black hawk freesync 75hz monitors and a 2080.
Would love to be able to get this to work for me and get rid of the blanking once and for all.

A proper tutorial with screenshots would be brilliant.

And will this method work with an Nvidia gpu?

I have the blanking issue myself. It's caused some amount of problems mid race mid corner.

I tried using cru before and it didn't go well. I couldn't get them back on.

I'm pretty good at following instructions but the Reddit post didn't do it for me. I've got triple iiyama black hawk freesync 75hz monitors and a 2080.
Would love to be able to get this to work for me and get rid of the blanking once and for all.

A proper tutorial with screenshots would be brilliant.

And will this method work with an Nvidia gpu?

I will put something together... Maybe a video but for sure this weekend I'll put something out with at least screenshots... Video would be better to show the blanking and flickering then show the fix procedure.

But sorry man... Don't believe this method works for Nvidia GPU's

Last edited:
I was having terrible black screen issues on my 2080 triple screen setup. I read online about capping the FPS to 1 above me refresh. Which in my case was 76 as my freesync monitors are 75hz. Did it and so far no more black screen problems.

Here it is. Finally! Apologies for taking longer than expected. My first video tutorial and man that was a lot of editing back n forth. Makes me really appreciate the pros.

Its about 18 minutes, but I didn't want to go too fast or so slow its boring.

The video includes how to enable freesync on non supported monitor/tv and how to fix freesync; screen blanking(blacking out), screen brightness flicker and screen tearing. I even show demonstrations of blanking and brightness flicker while freesync is enabled (blanking on one monitor, flickering on the other).

While this tutorial is intended for AMD users, I've also included a link of how to use Nvidia GPU with a freesync compatible monitor (use the video to fix freesync issues, and/or to enable a non freesync monitor to use your Nvidia GPU, then follow instructions in said link).

Well, here it is, hope it really helps others out there as it has for me on 2 monitors.

Cleary I have no idea what I'm doing, have no idea how to change the video cover to something better lol

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 197 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing