Give your opinions please, witch one nails car physics?

RFactor 2 overall (in terms of physics) for me although I own them all.

I say "overall" because there are certain moments of vehicle dynamics situations that positively shine (relatively speaking) in all sim-physics engines including even Live For Speed and Netkar Pro, and also the other way around as-well (shine in a negative way). There are even some specific situations where I think LFS still has the absolute best physics in (regarding how the physics engine and therefore vehicle behavior performs/translates oversteer dynamics). As a whole though, rFactor 2.

Stock Car Extreme is definitely 2nd for me though, no doubt about it.

There's just something about the ISI physics engine that no other physics engine can get in-terms of vehicle dynamics at work, the rawness of the physics, the depth, the aliveness, the organic experience, etc. It really does feel "industrial/professional" where as the others feel like they are just meant to be games (albeit fairly realistic games, no doubt). That special "x-factor" that is very difficult to put your finger on and describe but very easy to experience/feel. Maybe ISI should have called it xFactor instead, lol.

Last edited:
Rf2 without a doubt for me, there is something very organic feeling about RF2 that beats everything Ive tried hands down, the thing with RF2 is doesnt matter what car you drive from a gt3 to 1950's F1 it all feels consistent yet different,it also by FAR the best feeling sim outside of normal drive conditions loss of grip etc it does sublimely,to the point that I find RF2 by far the easiest sim to drive as every movement makes sense.

GSCE 2nd without a doubt.

RRE Overall "race" experience very good, and maybe not as advanced physics but does very well with what it does have.

AC a LOT better since update enjoy driving road cars on normal road conditions and this has plenty of that so AC still fits into my play.

Iracing got the physics but outside of normal driving conditions possibly the worst sim out in that regard, the tyre walls are made of jelly, and once grip is lost tyres seem to stay "molten" for entire laps, Iracing= infuriating for me

Pcars for me is bottom for in all the race sims despite the money and resources going into that title it completely failed on drive feel, not that they gave me a drive feel as I had to make my own with FFB, complete cop out IMO.

Also for those that dont know RF2 now has the min torque value IN GAME, adjust that to kill deadzone in center for perfect FFB with lower grade wheels.

That article does bring out the point that physics is a combination of

1) the physics engine, and
2) the numbers you feed into it.

Now they are both important but number 2 is the one that is often overlooked. A very sophisticated physics engine won't give you good results if you use the wrong data. A simpler physics engine can give you good results if you use the right data.

I tried the rF2 demo with the Civic at Silverstone and rolled it several times driving over the curbs. I think Tim has said there is probably an issue with the Civic so what is probably a small error in the physics file gave me a very poor impression of rF2s physics.

There is a difference between handling and physics ... RF2 is probably the most complete sim we have to date physics wise! but i love how cars handle on GSCE, even with the modified "old" ISI engine :)

Feed whatever numbers you want into a physics engine, every vehicle in that physics engine fundamentally behaves the same. Every car in RF1 from the stock ISI content, to the first ever mod, to the latest mod, to SCE, etc. fundamentally behaves the same because the same core physics engine (including tyre model) is "driving / working with" those numbers that are plugged in. Same with AC, same with IR, same with RF2, same with LFS, same with Netkar Pro, etc. etc. It's why you can instantly tell which specific game you're playing regardless of which car you drive, regardless of which mod you drive - heck, most of the time you can tell just by watching videos let alone playing.

Why most people says PCars is less sim than assetto? I find car handling pretty similar despite you feel the road better on assetto due to the ffb but I m not sure if this is more realistic, in assetto self aligning is very light while irl forces are much stronger I don't know how it is with stronger wheels but in the T300 even if I higher the gain it is still light just the subtle forces become strong. On PCars with some tuning the ffb feels more realistic and strong to me. Also I found that on PCars on spa you can't just flat out eau rouge and even blancimot which is more realistic than assetto I guess the downforce in assetto is too much.

Overall I vote for assetto corsa just because you can feel it more but PCars is very close. R3e is very far in terms of physics and haven't tried the other sims yet.

Three more days to close the pool. This was not to find out the ultimate true about physics or define absolutely which one is the best. The objective was to know the opinion of you people who plays all those sims and witch one is on the top of your list. Thanks for your votes and opinions.
Thankfully we have many quality choices nowadays;).

I come back to this thread to offer a very simple, artistic even, opinion on physics. Now we cannot really compare physics to the real deal, especially without any movement simulator so for me, saying that some physics are a bit better than others is empty talk.

I like to gauge physics from my body to to the road in the game. To explain, I put an imaginary distance between eyes-hands-wheel-car body-tires-surface. So if you can imagine this as a car; closer they are overall the better it is and equal spacing between them is the perfect way to go. Like a gokart is very nimble and direct opposed to a heavy slow long stretch limo.

For instance AC: For my feel, the relation between my wheel and car body is very distant and I don't mean FFB wise. Otherwise all other connections are close enough. The cars feel fine but I don't feel involved in the car.
PCars: A bit stretched out overall but equal distance between all the components. I feel involved almost perfectly, though it is all a bit hazy.
Race07: Very direct connection to the car, but then between the car and tires and the surface it's a bit distant. I feel very "in the car" but not so much "on the track", opposite of AC.
To many uses of "feel" in your answer (or in 90% of answers here...most people are describing driving feel and representation of physics not physics itself) ..if the question is which game nails physics most, it is not subjective thing, it is math.. It is about action an reaction of forces, nothing more..

Last edited:
To many uses of "feel" in your answer (or in 90% of answers here...most people are describing driving feel and representation of physics not physics itself) ..if the question is which game nails physics most, it is not subjective thing, it is math.. It is about action an reaction of forces, nothing more..

Feel free to enlighten us with the absolute mathematical driving simulator. :D

I agree with you, though, maybe some misunderstood the title or got carried away like I did.

EDIT: Well, looks like the OP above you did infact mean the feely side of things.

Feel free to enlighten us with the absolute mathematical driving simulator. :D

I agree with you, though, maybe some misunderstood the title or got carried away like I did.

EDIT: Well, looks like the OP above you did infact mean the feely side of things.
:) well it is not easy to separate physics, ffb, driving feel, immersion...i don't think i would be able to do it as well... That is why i didn't answer :)
Also I'd like to correct myself, your answer was good, the question is wrong ;-)

If you take pCars for example, i don't care that much about their physic model, as I consider it more of a Forza or GT simcade racing game for PC and i enjoy it for relaxing racing (with AI tempting to disturb my inner zen :) ) and their physics /tyre model could be solid, but when you drive it, it is more forgiving, simplified, to appeal to wider audience .. Think of it like putting assists in gsc, physics is the same but driving experience is quite different.. If you know what i mean..

But if we are little loose in interpretation of that question... From my point of view it is
1. rf2,
2. gsc,
3. AC

I clocked a few hours in gsce but i struggle to find what is so great about it. Not that it is bad or anything, i find it pretty solid.
FFB , feel of driving, road feel, progressives, AI, sounds, devs mindset and it feels like finished product (pretty much only one from current sims)

Best FFB and handling feel (the relation between input and realistic response) is RaceRoom by far following the latest updates. It has gone from mid pack to the lead. Sadly not more ppl have noticed.

For the most systems simulated (as in dynamics and caustics as well as mathematical precision and interoperating systems) definetely still rFactor2.

Best simplification of complexity (as in adapting an impressive physics engine to something approachable and useable by any guy with a controller and a PC) has to be Assetto Corsa, the thing is a bit simplified but has one of the most robust dynamics simulations under the hood...

Best overall feel in any car, and best default setups is hands down GSC Extreme.

So the question is moot. It depends ön what the goal of the physics simulation is.

If by best you mean "like a real race car" then none at all. Your home computer lacks the power for that, so compromises are made...

Best FFB and handling feel (the relation between input and realistic response) is RaceRoom by far following the latest updates. It has gone from mid pack to the lead. Sadly not more ppl have noticed.

been away from home/internet/civilization for a week and won`t be able to check it for few more days .. did they finaly fixed "floaty" FFB ? no new updates on my steam for R3E .. I`m really looking forward to start to play this game when they fix it ..

been away from home/internet/civilization for a week and won`t be able to check it for few more days .. did they finaly fixed "floaty" FFB ? no new updates on my steam for R3E .. I`m really looking forward to start to play this game when they fix it ..

Get the newest content packs. The free cars are still a bit odd.

But try the WTCC2014 with the new FFB and the new driveline simulation (gearbox judder and power curve oscillations under loads) and it's a whole different game!

Other good choices would be the Touring Classics following the latest update. They now feel amazing.

So yeah, it's definetely the best FFB on the market (in my view) for the updated content.

I have ADAC14, DTM, DTM92 and last time I`ve played it (10.8.) I was running WTTC14 and it wasn`t fixed .. haven`t notice any update since then .. I manage to set FFB somehow acceptable but not really enjoyable, I have informations, I have good feel but that damn floatinges and unprecise steering is making me switch to other sims ... will try later, thanx ..

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 350 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%