Give your opinion about how important the car is to you

In the old times that was Horse/Cameş/Elephant then it became carts and wagons. And now it's car. Man needs something to carry it to somewhere faster than his walking. Not only faster. Also more comfortable.

So i think car is very important in Human life.

Good Luck with your school project mate ;)

For me its vital to have a car for my Job. As i have to travel 220km to my work i can't rely on public transportation as it will cost me simply too much time. Wether its a big or a small car i don't care as long as it brings me from A to B in time!

I have lived in the country side of western Germany most of my life. While there is public transportation available, it is very inconvenient and often no cheaper than owning a vehicle. Really a vehicle is a must out there, if you want to pursue any form of career or wish to maintain some form of social life. I now live in a small town on the east coast of the united states. Public transportation is virtually non existent here. Without a car, I wouldn't have the ability to go anywhere here.

Outside of all that, I am very passionate about cars. I love to work on them, and I race on a amateur level. I guess you could say in some way my life evolves around my car.

For me the car is important if I its a fun car and if I got entertaining roads nearby. I don't enjoy driving the car in the city and on highways etc. For that purpose I prefer public transport. But when I'm back home I got some really fun roads where I get my adrenaline pumping.

Since I live in a city now and dont got a car I get my kicks from simracing. It feels very real (especially GTLegends) and I can practice my driving without any expenses. What Ive learned in GTL agrees very well with my real experiences, especially on the limit.

I voted "Important" because its my favorite activity, but the fun factor has to be there

Nothing personal Ryan but....

The motor vehicle liberated mankind.

That's probably one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read here at RD, I do hope you meant that in jest.

In fact it is quite the opposite and you have in many ways enslaved yourselves to corporate ideology. You are at the whim of organisations like OPEC and to governments who seek to take a proportionally high amount of your income for the privilege of driving.

The mass adoption of the car as a means of personal transport has directly led to the creation of out-of-town shopping areas. As such it has reduced your choice as a consumer in that the high street has become less populated with independent traders and diminished competition in key retail sectors.

Ecologically it has contributed, in no small way, to the impending natural catastrophe that is climate change which, if left unchecked, will remove the habitat of several million people. Newer technologies will only slow this down and not stop it, hydrogen cell technology requires vast amounts of electricity to produce the component element and producing electricity is a massive environmental change inducer. Bio fuels and the fields in which they are grown come at the cost of local farmers and the real need to grow food crops rather than cash crops. The huge global corporations pouring money into this are exploiting their power and removing local populations' ability to feed themselves for a quick "green" buck.

To say it has liberated mankind is simply not true, a vast proportion (if not a majority) of mankind lives perfectly liberated (liberation being a very relative term across different societies) without the motor vehicle and I doubt the man/woman stuck in traffic for hours on the M25 feels "liberated". For sure it has offered a degree of freedom of choice, the choice not to live near work, the choice not to live near anything, the choice to spend an hour travelling rather than a day but at a cost and not just a monetary one. Your view is both naive and very narrow minded and I actually weep for the future when I find such views common place.

I do not own a car, I have no need to do so. I work locally, my children go to school locally and I have a large shopping complex within 5 mins walk of my home. As a consequence my tax burden is much lower, my impact on the world is less than the average 2 car family and strangely enough I feel more liberated by my non-reliance on motor vehicles (especially when the snow comes). I can still travel where I please although it may take me longer to get there but that is just a matter of time and preparation not a shackle to my independence. And despite all of this I still subsidise the car owners of this town I live in and even the country as a whole. My council tax and income tax helps to pay for the car parks, traffic subsystems, safety applications and services which regulate, maintain and protect the lives of the car using public.

I'm very definitely not anti-car, my favourite sport is (predictably) motor racing. I most certainly enjoy travelling in (most) motor vehicles and I am not naive enough to think that they are not important to civilisation as a whole but liberate us they did not. If there are any technologies that liberated mankind it was far more important advances like scientific experimentation, the printing press, the evolution of philosophy and the internet that have liberated mankind although I struggle to think what they liberated us from, oh yes ignorance, that must be it.

Peter, I'll give you an Australian perspective.
Owning / driving a car is very important here, the distances to travel between towns / cities in Australia is large, and our public transport systems are very limited and extremely expensive. Without a car, you would have difficulty finding suitable direct public transport, frequently needing to use multiple forms of public transport to get between the desired locations. This makes the time to travel very long, and this affects people getting to and from their work, but also adds hugely to costs. Only in our major capital cities do we have a wider range of public transport, but again, it is extremely expensive, and limited to set routes on main locations.

It's that important in the way that I use it for work. I cannot just say, "I'm not using the car today", because that's the way of transport I use.
Public transport is hardly a sloution for me, cause the travelling time is equal to longer compared to driving a car.

So I voted Very Important

I live in a village with my mother and my sisters, and we can live without a car, but it would make our lives a lot easier!
- my mother could get to work faster and more comfortable at the same price she pays for the bus.
- we could do shopping a lot more easier
- we could get our cats to the vet a lot more easier
- when we visit my grandparents 300km-s away, we could save half of the money we pay on train tickets.

Also, driving is a pleasure for me, I wish I could drive a car every day.

So I voted important:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back