Girlfriend is out,Now starting SimRacing all over. Need LOTS of help!

Ball and chain is gone. Phew! Now I have a spare room to get back into sim racing. I have to start from scratch. New computer, monitor.. Ect my main question I have is about wheels and pedals. I want kind of a high end wheel. I've looked at frex, but the pedals and wheels are $2,000 each. $4,000 is a little steep considering I'm buying everything new and at once. I have a G27 but I want better. What can I do with a $2,000 budget on both wheel and pedal set? I have been out of sim racing for a while because the woman thinks they are just "games" and hates the noise of an engine. You bet I'm getting a good set of speakers! I plan on building a racing cockpit. I haven't found any really good setups for sale, so I guess building one to my specs is the way to go. I see this is kind of a long post I'm writing so I'll just make statements on what I'm looking for.

Wheel&pedal. $1500-$2000
Shifter? Frex
Steering wheel- Rosa F1 wheel

Should I keep my g27 and just mod it?
I plan on having a triple screen setup, what are the best monitors for this?
Total I have about $5,000 I can spend on a sim setup from the ground up.
CPU - Intel core i7? or the new AMD 8 core?
GFX - Nvidia GTX or ATI (2 cards in SLI/crossfire)

I know I'm kind of off the path by asking about computer stuff but any advice is needed.

Kris Kahle
Ct, USA

Well, i would never choose my simracing over my girlfriend but welcome back.

I would just mod the G27 then go from there. Regardless of how much i like this hobby, $4000 is a ridiculous amount to spend on wheel and pedals.

And btw don't be hating on the women, after all it is just a game.

Upvote 0
Since you asked......

First off if you are going to use the rig for gaming and that is it, you don't need anything more than an i5 2500K for the CPU. You won't see much further improvement in gaming performance with anything above that right now. If however you are going to be doing other things with the computer, such as 3d modeling and animation, or a lot of work in Photoshop etc, then by all means spend the money and get an i7, though I would make sure the system had at least 16Gigs of ram to go along with it. In order to be able to even see all that ram you will need a 64bit OS. And with running dual GPU's it is pretty much a must have on the 64bit OS.

As far as the GPU, have a look at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-gaming-performance,3042-7.html
Any of the cards on the top end would be great for gaming though the higher on the list, the higher the cost usually. :) I personally would go with a pair of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389 There are cards out there with 2Gb ram also, like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150563

I would highly recommend a PSU of around 1000W or more in order to be sure you don't suffer from lack of power. I would also recommend a decent SSD for the boot drive. If you plan on overclocking, then I suggest you get plenty of cooling power, though with the stock clock speeds of the most recent CPU's, you should be fine without overclocking.

I don't own a high end wheel, but from what I have been hearing, the G27 is fine for the wheel, though getting a set of CSP pedals would not be a bad idea.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing