Giovinazzi Replaces Wehrlein for China

Giovinazzi Wehrlein.jpg
Antonio Giovinazzi will replace Pascal Wehrlein at Sauber for a second consecutive race.

The Italian impressed in his Formula One debut in Australia, finishing twelfth whilst team-mate Marcus Ericsson failed to finish.

Wehrlein pulled out of the first race of 2017 after a collision in the Race of Champions in January. The German stressed that his withdrawal wasn’t directly due to the injury, but because he’d been unable to train properly ahead of the race and didn’t believe he was fit enough for the full race distance.

It’s uncertain when Wehrlein will be back in the cockpit of his Sauber C36-Ferrari. In a statement, the team said Giovinazzi will replace Wehrlein to ensure he’s in the “best physical shape” for his return.

“For me, the most important thing is that I can train intensively to ensure a 100% performance from my side as soon as possible,” Wehrlein said. “I will then be well-prepared for my first complete Grand Prix weekend for the Sauber F1 team. Hopefully this can be in Bahrain but, if not, then we will take the time it needs until Russia to make sure I am completely ready.”

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.
When do you expect Wehrlein to make a return, or do you think Giovinazzi will keep the seat? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Well, you can argue that gio is stealing his thunder but what would have sucked even more would have been to show up for the race and not be able to give 100% especially with all those extra G's. :D

• Deleted member 205301

I'wont be surprised if Ferrari had something to do with this....;)
Great news for Antonio, what a driver ! (that' would for sure, make pierre Gasly angry)
@++

Good news, and what's with the Ericsson hate? He at least shows up to the race the races unlike the Merc prodigy. Probably could've done decently in Australia if he wasn't the victim of a classic Dano-Swedish surprise war that happens every once in a while. :p

Also, Giovinazzi looking more and more certain to land a seat for next year, especially if he impresses yet again.

Good news, and what's with the Ericsson hate? He at least shows up to the race the races unlike the Merc prodigy.
What were Ericsons injuries?

I could ask the same question: what's with the exaggerated Wehrlein hate? He is not that popular it seems, but he is manly enough to say: hey i am not fit enough to bring what is being asked in the first, and now second and maybe even third GP!

He had a nasty injury. His body has to recover from that before he even can work on his physical fitness. That takes weeks or even months.

• Deleted member 113561

Go Antonio Giovinazzi
show Markus Ericsson where he belongs (not in Formula 1)

There is no Ericsson hate going on, its just the opinion of most people that he is too slow and pretty much a paydriver only. He is not terrible though (in comparison to the rest of the field).

This is what kills Formula 1, that teams are dependant so much on sponsors that drivers bring with them - in the midfield sometimes skill is not deciding who gets a cockpit.
And people wonder why we have no big talents since Vettel & Hamilton up at front.

I think this is great news for Gio he deserves it and has a far more exciting driving style than either Ericsson or Werhlein as well. He showed his potential in his gutsy GP2 performances last year.

I bet Gasly is now regreting his decision to move to Japan for the year as he should probably have been next in line as champion but Gio is good news for the sport and better news for Italian motorsport longer term.

I actually enjoyed the GP2 coverage on TV last year for example the GP2 end of season race in Abu Dhabi was a really action packed event as indeed are most GP2 races, as opposed to the F1 race which was a farce.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back