Getting used to rFactor 2

Hello everyone, I'd like some tips on getting started with rFactor 2. As of right now i have a 360 controller that i use and not much else. What I'm wanting to get into is endurance racing, such as the mod made by EnduRacers and so far i can manage their F430 to a degree, but I'm miles off pace either because I'm doubting my abilities or afraid of the car suddenly wanting to kiss a wall at 130mph. Just wanted some pointers to help me at least keep up with the other cars in the field, be they AI or not.

A good start is to adjust AI step by step. So you start with a difficulty setting that roughly matches your skill and drive on that level over a longer period of time. If you notice that it gets too easy for you and that you allways win you increase the difficulty and start the procedure . Don't be affraid when the AI beats you in qualifying - that's usual.

I would recommend to start with a single make mod like the Clio cup from ISI and stick to one track at a time. That way you can learn the track very effectively and familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of your car. Most important thing is that you are patient and don't give up too easily. It requires time and practice to get a competent racer and the fastest guys are not allways the best drivers. Try to get consistent in laptimes and don't fiddle with setups (maybe just the fuel load) for now. Another good thing is to simulate a race week end with practice, qualy, race and maybe warmup. I hope that helps for a start. You will see, it is really rewarding when it clicks. ;)

A good start is to adjust AI step by step. So you start with a difficulty setting that roughly matches your skill and drive on that level over a longer period of time. If you notice that it gets too easy for you and that you allways win you increase the difficulty and start the procedure . Don't be affraid when the AI beats you in qualifying - that's usual.

I would recommend to start with a single make mod like the Clio cup from ISI and stick to one track at a time. That way you can learn the track very effectively and familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of your car. Most important thing is that you are patient and don't give up too easily. It requires time and practice to get a competent racer and the fastest guys are not allways the best drivers. Try to get consistent in laptimes and don't fiddle with setups (maybe just the fuel load) for now. Another good thing is to simulate a race week end with practice, qualy, race and maybe warmup. I hope that helps for a start. You will see, it is really rewarding when it clicks. ;)
I've been doing alot of practice with the USF2000 cars (i genuinely dislike the way the clio handles) in fact it's what I'm doing right now, have been for the past week or so. My biggest problems so far with just about every car/track is wheel spin and general oversteer which in turn causes me to drive a lot slower coming in to and out of corners that i should be. And thank you for the suggestion on the AI strength, I never really thought about that :p

• Deleted member 130869

Other people may be able to help with more information, but what are your controller's sensitivity and linearity settings? It can be your inputs are too strong initially and you lose balance.

Honestly, you need to get a real steering wheel. It would help with any racing game, but rF2 is about as far away from a console racer as you can get. It is not impossible to play with a joystick or game controller, but 99.8% of people will have vastly more success with real wheel and pedals.

Even with a real wheel, the vast majority of people do not have the patience or skills to learn how to drive and race properly with realistic damage, etc.

It's up to you, but I would not handicap myself by a factor of 20 when trying to master the most difficult/realistic racing sim on the market. It's hard enough with the right equipment.

• Deleted member 130869

There's always steering assist that can be set on low so it doesn't interfere with the driving, only assists with a smoother input.

Yeah, if you're wanting to get into rFactor, or any sim for that matter, especially for endurance races, I'd highly recommend a wheel rather than a controller. Even if it's a cheap steering wheel, it will definitely help because steering wheels are made for racing games, controllers, not so much

Only other thing I can recommend is practice practice practice, try different racing lines, adjust your stability and traction control settings, a good way to learn a track fast is put a good amount of AI on track and try and follow them, watch for their braking points and race line etc. :)

Yeah, if you're wanting to get into rFactor, or any sim for that matter, especially for endurance races, I'd highly recommend a wheel rather than a controller. Even if it's a cheap steering wheel, it will definitely help because steering wheels are made for racing games, controllers, not so much

Only other thing I can recommend is practice practice practice, try different racing lines, adjust your stability and traction control settings, a good way to learn a track fast is put a good amount of AI on track and try and follow them, watch for their braking points and race line etc. :)
The first thing I intend to do when i get the money is get a T300 or something similar, but so far I can run a smooth-ish lap on Mid-Ohio in the F430 pretty decently with only auto-clutch on. Not really sure why I'm so drawn to Endurance racing but it's just something I really find myself wanting to do.

The first thing I intend to do when i get the money is get a T300 or something similar, but so far I can run a smooth-ish lap on Mid-Ohio in the F430 pretty decently with only auto-clutch on. Not really sure why I'm so drawn to Endurance racing but it's just something I really find myself wanting to do.

Have a T300, best purchase I ever made, might only come with two pedals but it gives such good force feedback!

Endurance racing is fun and at the end it's a good sense of achievement, especially managing tyres, getting good pit stop times and keeping a good pace thoughout.

At the end of the day, as long as you're having fun, that's all that matters :thumbsup:

Have a T300, best purchase I ever made, might only come with two pedals but it gives such good force feedback!

Endurance racing is fun and at the end it's a good sense of achievement, especially managing tyres, getting good pit stop times and keeping a good pace thoughout.

At the end of the day, as long as you're having fun, that's all that matters :thumbsup:
I'd kill to be able to actually simulate a full 24h race at some point and actually finish it in one piece :)

I'd kill to be able to actually simulate a full 24h race at some point and actually finish it in one piece :)

24 Hours on your own? That'd take some preparation. I remember back in the day when Gran Turismo 5 just came out and there was 8 guys doing a 24 hour race and by the end 2 were still on track but had both crashed at some point :roflmao:

I'm currently about to start an offline endurance league, which should be interesting, only doing 1/2 Hour races tho :)

24 Hours on your own? That'd take some preparation.

"Resume from replay" comes in very handy if you want to try it in shorter bursts. Just remember that you want to resume from somewhere that you're moving rather than sitting in the pits (which crashes for some reason). Typically people resume just after they make their pitstop.

30 minute races are just about the minimum for me... recently won a 2.4 hr LeMans race online. Then competed in a 90 minute online race 12 hrs later. Yeah, I was sore & tired after that! Friend quipped that I needed an agent who didn't book races so close together, LOL.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 109 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 82 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 114 13.4%