Getting started... Seeking guidance

Hi All,

First off, I'm completely new to racing in all aspects but I can remember falling asleep as a kid dreaming of having enough money one day to build a go-kart track in my back yard and race friends. I'm quite competitive, enjoy learning and am pretty dedicated to practicing what ever it is I'm interested in.

After stumbling across the F1 series on Netflix, I've been bitten by this racing bug. I am a few weeks into F1 2018 on my PS4 and can already tell that I want something more than the standard Controller as an input device now that I've finished my first full Grand Prix Weekend with no assists and didn't do terrible, (granted I'm running on setting 20 of 110 for AI).

I'm short on space and somewhat apprehensive to jump in whole-hog just yet but was thinking of getting a Playseat Challenge and a Thrustmaster T300RS GT edition to get started.

I realize that PS4 isn't going to provide the best "sim" experience but it's how I have to get started and test the waters. I realize that GTS is still somewhat an arcade game but also starting to straddle the sim line as well.

Eventually, I could see myself getting more into it and moving into a gaming PC, running iRacing with a better cockpit setup though, so was hoping that some of you might provide some guidance for me so I don't find myself in a position needing to flog everything I've already bought.

Is the Thrustmaster T300RS GT edition a good purchase if I eventually outgrow the PS4 setup and move into a PC setup with iRacing?

Would you be interested in a Wheel Stand Pro. I've got one collecting dust. I have the attachment for the Fanatec shifter as shown. All the typical wheels and pedals bolt up to it. I'd be willing to pay it forward, if you you'll pass it on when you are done with it, I have no problem letting it go for shipping.

This was the very first time I had my controls setup, but it wasn't long before I was pulling a seat out of a wrecked car. I ended up with a seat for $45. It was a fully manual 2006 VW Passat seat and I've been very happy with it. You might find something inexpensive locally if you ever decided to go that route.
View attachment 300866

I most definitely would be interested! I was just on the https://www.wheelstandpro.com/ website this morning debating it versus the Playseat Challenge.

I’m in Canada so that might be the only hitch as USPS will be the way to go but not sure what the shipping would be.

If you’d be willing to get a shipping quote (British Columbia - V9W 8H9) and it’s reasonable, I think I’d be all over your gracious offer. No problem paying it forward either. Just gave away a micro heli with tons of spares, radio and batteries so definitely believe in the “pay it forward” philosophy.

Upvote 0
If I send it as scrap metal, hopefully you wouldn't be taxed on it.

I just realized that metal is actually something with tarrifs at the border, so maybe I need to check that out.

Upvote 0
I started with a DFGT on a desk but currently have the Playseat Challenge and T300 but use CSL Elite LC pedals with drivehub on the PS4. I think the pedals will be the first thing you will want to change, the load cell makes a big difference. I dont really spend enough time racing to warrant any more expense even though I really want to go DD.

Upvote 0
I haven't been able to find the original packaging and this thing is pretty heavy. I wouldn't be surprised if USPS charges over 100 USD to deliver it. I'm not really excited about the prospect of building the appropriate packaging so that it gets there in one piece. If I can't find the original box, I may have to bow out.

I apologize, I should have checked to make sure I had the packaging before making this offer. I have a couple more places I can look, but I may have thrown the packaging away.

Upvote 0
I haven't been able to find the original packaging and this thing is pretty heavy. I wouldn't be surprised if USPS charges over 100 USD to deliver it. I'm not really excited about the prospect of building the appropriate packaging so that it gets there in one piece. If I can't find the original box, I may have to bow out.

I apologize, I should have checked to make sure I had the packaging before making this offer. I have a couple more places I can look, but I may have thrown the packaging away.

No worries at all. I was thinking about this at various points of the day yesterday and wasn't sure how it was going to be manageable based on it's sheer weight alone. I figured at least $80USD for the shipping and then the potential for surprise customs fees. Was likely going to bow out on my end anyway due to potential of a hefty cost trying to get it here. Not knowing how long I'd run it for, that money would be better spent on a better suited rig I can get from Amazon.ca with free shipping.

I heard back from Simulation1.ca and they recommended the Trak Racer FS3 I linked to earlier over the modular NLR Wheel Stand due to it's adjustability. That gets me wheel stand that's not really modular and leaves me looking for a chair still for the same price as the Playseat Challenge. Hmmm.

I think the Playseat is still my best option in that it gets me a full cockpit setup for a low enough cost and if I chose to upgrade, it can get passed on to my son/daughter for the Family Room if they enjoy racing. Who knows... My wife LOVES MarioKart racing; maybe she'd like sim racing too!

I thought about building a DIY PVC cockpit too, but those seems to be custom created for 1 driver only. My family would want to try and struggle to get the wheel and pedals placed optimally for them with that route. The Playseat Challenge at least has some adjustments that can get them driving.

Upvote 0
The FS3 looks decent.
I would suggest that you secure the rig to a sheet of plywood that you can also secure your chair.
Otherwise when you hit the brakes either the chair will move backwards or the rig will slide forward.

I tried using wheel locks for my chair as shown in the earlier pictures and that sort of worked. Granted the pedals in the picture are load cell based and take more pressure than the pedals you are starting with, so it may not be as big a deal initially.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I started with a DFGT on a desk but currently have the Playseat Challenge and T300 but use CSL Elite LC pedals with drivehub on the PS4. I think the pedals will be the first thing you will want to change, the load cell makes a big difference. I dont really spend enough time racing to warrant any more expense even though I really want to go DD.

I'm correct in asuming that the DriveHub is required (or something similar) in order to get the CSL Elite LC pedals working with PS4? Is the support of an additional controller at the console level or the game level?

Upvote 0
erm, yeah?????? You have to plug in a PS4 controller too so I wonder if there is some kind of emulation going on. It works well, every now and then I get a tiny drop from the analogue wheel but I mean tiny, hasn't cause any driving damage.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back