Getting Set Up with Iracing

May be a stupid question...but...I've been looking at getting set up with iRacing and am pretty confused by its pricing model. At this point I'm simply looking to drive the current set up NASCAR Cup at COTA, Sonoma and Watkins Glen. Wanting to stick with AI racing. What do I need to buy/ subscribe to?

The bottom line is that the subscription is your starting point. I doesn't matter what cars you drive or what tracks you race on, or if you race online or AI only. That subscription is the price of admission. Even if you only drive against AI's you will still have to pay the subscription and you will need an internet connection for it to work.

Last edited:
May be a stupid question...but...I've been looking at getting set up with iRacing and am pretty confused by its pricing model. At this point I'm simply looking to drive the current set up NASCAR Cup at COTA, Sonoma and Watkins Glen. Wanting to stick with AI racing. What do I need to buy/ subscribe to?
Ensure the car/tracks you plan on racing are available for use with AI here. If your main objective is racing AI be sure to check out Trading Paints to look for AI Rosters people have created, or you can create your own. I have created several, no NASCAR (sorry) if you like to check them out here.

It is more than likely you will wind up doing official online races at some point and there are some good videos on YouTube to help guide you through the license process and best methods to purchase content.

Quick tips on saving as much money as you can. Take advantage of the initial 2-year subscription sale price. Buy content in batches of 3 or more to get additional discounts, 3-5 pieces = 10% off, 6 or more pieces = 15% off, 40 or more (yeah right) = 20% off. Check the annual Black Friday sale to get discounts on yearly subscriptions, you can add years regardless of how much time remains on current subscription.

Quick tips on advancing your license, race clean, avoid the stupid and worry less of winning and concentrate on finishing.

iRacing recently made buying content a bit easier to understand saying you need to purchase one of the following cars to participate in an official series, opposed to having a list of cars which made it seem like you needed them all to race (not the case). Similar to Raceroom where you only need to own one of the cars in a series to race, you see all competitors' vehicles whether you own them or not.

Good luck.

Ensure the car/tracks you plan on racing are available for use with AI here. If your main objective is racing AI be sure to check out Trading Paints to look for AI Rosters people have created, or you can create your own. I have created several, no NASCAR (sorry) if you like to check them out here.

It is more than likely you will wind up doing official online races at some point and there are some good videos on YouTube to help guide you through the license process and best methods to purchase content.

Quick tips on saving as much money as you can. Take advantage of the initial 2-year subscription sale price. Buy content in batches of 3 or more to get additional discounts, 3-5 pieces = 10% off, 6 or more pieces = 15% off, 40 or more (yeah right) = 20% off. Check the annual Black Friday sale to get discounts on yearly subscriptions, you can add years regardless of how much time remains on current subscription.

Quick tips on advancing your license, race clean, avoid the stupid and worry less of winning and concentrate on finishing.

iRacing recently made buying content a bit easier to understand saying you need to purchase one of the following cars to participate in an official series, opposed to having a list of cars which made it seem like you needed them all to race (not the case). Similar to Raceroom where you only need to own one of the cars in a series to race, you see all competitors' vehicles whether you own them or not.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info - really appreciate it. To clarify with the cars for AI racing. Say I want to race NASCAR Cup and am happy personally driving the Ford - would I also need to buy the Chevrolet and Toyota in order to race against them in one of the AI Rosters?

Thanks for the info - really appreciate it. To clarify with the cars for AI racing. Say I want to race NASCAR Cup and am happy personally driving the Ford - would I also need to buy the Chevrolet and Toyota in order to race against them in one of the AI Rosters?
No, you only have to own the vehicle you want to drive, opponent's vehicle is not a required purchase.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%