Tracks Getting LIDAR data

Hi everyone,
Almost none of the french racetracks have a precise version available for AC and I'd like to help with making this change.
I can't help with modding because I'm clueless about it but I thought getting some LIDAR data to the community could make it more interesting for those who have the skills?

I was wondering if someone knows the different ways to get LIDAR data when one has physical access to a track?
Obviously being an amateur project it would have to be as cheap as possible so that either the track owners can be interested in financing it or I could do it.
I saw that the iPhone has LIDAR now but I don't know if it's even close to making any sense for that kind of project...

So yeah, just a wild idea/dream. :)

Cheers,
Noctam

Hi everyone,
Almost none of the french racetracks have a precise version available for AC and I'd like to help with making this change.
I can't help with modding because I'm clueless about it but I thought getting some LIDAR data to the community could make it more interesting for those who have the skills?

I was wondering if someone knows the different ways to get LIDAR data when one has physical access to a track?
Obviously being an amateur project it would have to be as cheap as possible so that either the track owners can be interested in financing it or I could do it.
I saw that the iPhone has LIDAR now but I don't know if it's even close to making any sense for that kind of project...

So yeah, just a wild idea/dream. :)

Cheers,
Noctam
Typically the government will have some sort aerial LiDAR database - most of the time free but sometimes not, depends on the region/country.

They will scan for the purposes of agriculture, soil erosion, deforestation... etc. Then we win by having accurate data to work with :)

If you really are interested in gathering data, start with google searches. Might need to use region names, or city names, along with the term lidar, or .LAS, LAZ etc...

Your iPhone suggestion... yes, the iPhone 12 PRO device has a built-in lidar sensor, but its really only meant to work with small rooms, single objects, etc... for the purpose of augmented reality. Not sure it can handle or have enough storage for you to walk a whole race track "scanning it". But I could definitely be wrong on this, since I'm a few generations behind on my device!

-----------------------------------------

Even if you do find data, don't hold your breath expecting someone to jump at it and start building something. You need someone that knows how to use the data, can build tracks and shares the same interests - the stars have to pretty much align , lol

But best of luck!

Thanks a lot for your answer @Johnr777 !
It's good to know that we probably already have the data. I'll have a look.
Edit: It seems that we will have an open data lidar (10 points/m2) covering of the entire country planned for 2025. :thumbsup:

Then I agree with you, the biggest struggle is going to be finding the people that can do it properly and are interested to do so...

One further question about this idea: now that we have very precise tracks modeled (like your wonderful Mosport ;)), how likely is it that we will be able to port them properly to upcoming sim (if modding is allowed)? In other words, can we expect to slowly build up a good library of precise tracks over the years or is it going to be a race from the start every time?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your answer @Johnr777 !
It's good to know that we probably already have the data. I'll have a look.
Edit: It seems that we will have an open data lidar (10 points/m2) covering of the entire country planned for 2025. :thumbsup:

Then I agree with you, the biggest struggle is going to be finding the people that can do it properly and are interested to do so...

One further question about this idea: now that we have very precise tracks modeled (like your wonderful Mosport ;)), how likely is it that we will be able to port them properly to upcoming sim (if modding is allowed)? In other words, can we expect to slowly build up a good library of precise tracks over the years or is it going to be a race from the start every time?
Its no different than what has been happening for the past few years. Tracks from rF1 have been brought over to rF2 and Assetto Corsa, only difference is now tracks being more accurate due to the publicly available data.

But with only a handful of us using that data, this library of precise tracks will stay small for long time.

Unless you factor in the outlaws that will syphon other racing games clean, then the library is pretty much unlimited.

You're right but tracks from rF1 are rarely very good once converted to AC if there is not some serious work involved behind.
I was wondering if this is mostly because standards and technology have evolved and if we are now at a "high-enough" level to make the transition easier in the upcoming years?

Last edited:
You're right but tracks from rF1 are rarely very good once converted to AC if there is not some serious work involved behind.
I was wondering if this is mostly because standards and technology have evolved and if we are now at a "high-enough" level to make the transition easier in the upcoming years?
Any project, conversion or scratch made... will require the same proper shader setup, and thats where the ball gets dropped most of the time. The same will apply going forward to whatever game engine we are given.

Hello @Johnr777 , I finally found a talented modder who's interested in using LIDAR data for his scratch made tracks (he's already making them with blender). Do you know of any resource available to help him in this process?

Last edited:
Hello @Johnr777 , I'm back with a question concerning the Lilski tutorial (question from the modder, I'm just the translator here): Lilsky says to use Cloudcompare and then export in FBX to Blender but there is apparently no FBX option anymore in this software. Is there a new format that we must use instead?
Thanks!

Hello @Johnr777 , I'm back with a question concerning the Lilski tutorial (question from the modder, I'm just the translator here): Lilsky says to use Cloudcompare and then export in FBX to Blender but there is apparently no FBX option anymore in this software. Is there a new format that we must use instead?
Thanks!
1646744960761.png

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 378 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%