Getting everything out of my new O+ in AC VR

Recently I was extremely lucky to buy a 1 month old 2nd hand O+ for only €400 in EU. As a first hour Assetto Corsa fan i'm having an absolute blast in VR together with my G27 playseat setup. Being able to experience this masterpiece of simulation in VR opened up a whole new world for me and I can confidently advice VR to anyone out there considering. It's a game changer.

For now my pc build is not strong enough to show Odyssey + max capabilities. My goal for now is to upgrade my GPU and maybe even CPU if needed to get Ultra settings displaying at 90hz on the O+ preferably with SOL Postprocessing.
Currently i'm using AMD R9 380 with I5 6500 and due to lack of 2.0 HDMI support of R9 380 I can only display 60hz max. Besides I run no postprocessing and most of my video settings are set to low/medium to get 60hz which is playable.

Is there anyone using O+ with AC running maxed out on Ultra settings 90hz? Could you share your type of GPU/CPU or give me advice on what to upgrade? I'm looking into RTX 2070 to do the job. Would this be enough or do I need a 2080? Is a new CPU necessary or could my I6500 do it together with a new GPU? Any shared experiences or advice would be helpful!

https://imgur.com/a/d5hBQKi
d5hBQKi

Recently I was extremely lucky to buy a 1 month old 2nd hand O+ for only €400 in EU. As a first hour Assetto Corsa fan i'm having an absolute blast in VR together with my G27 playseat setup. Being able to experience this masterpiece of simulation in VR opened up a whole new world for me and I can confidently advice VR to anyone out there considering. It's a game changer.

For now my pc build is not strong enough to show Odyssey + max capabilities. My goal for now is to upgrade my GPU and maybe even CPU if needed to get Ultra settings displaying at 90hz on the O+ preferably with SOL Postprocessing.
Currently i'm using AMD R9 380 with I5 6500 and due to lack of 2.0 HDMI support of R9 380 I can only display 60hz max. Besides I run no postprocessing and most of my video settings are set to low/medium to get 60hz which is playable.

Is there anyone using O+ with AC running maxed out on Ultra settings 90hz? Could you share your type of GPU/CPU or give me advice on what to upgrade? I'm looking into RTX 2070 to do the job. Would this be enough or do I need a 2080? Is a new CPU necessary or could my I6500 do it together with a new GPU? Any shared experiences or advice would be helpful!

https://imgur.com/a/d5hBQKi
d5hBQKi

For rift, the 2080 ti is necessary for max settings whit SS at 2.0
Don't know for amd cpu, but whit my i5 i was limited whit 20 cars at 45fps
I7 8700k is doing the job well!

Whit GbW suite i was at 90 but now i got fps problem whit sol. Many fps drops no where ...

For rift, the 2080 ti is necessary for max settings whit SS at 2.0
Don't know for amd cpu, but whit my i5 i was limited whit 20 cars at 45fps
I7 8700k is doing the job well!

Whit GbW suite i was at 90 but now i got fps problem whit sol. Many fps drops no where ...

Thank you for this info, very useful for me as I was hoping to do the job with 2070. Guess i need to save some more money...

Any modern Intel CPU that can reach 5ghz and has more than 4 cores will do. My 1080Ti can max out AC with the O+, with 200% supersampling and 8xAA.
With a 2070 you can lower PP filter quality down to medium and set 4xAA or drop SS to ~180%. Still pretty great.
But the CPU is the important part here.

• Deleted member 197115

There ia also Use LOD_B for cars in first person view checbox. Should that one be used instead, what's the difference?

Btw, both degrade car models quality by using lower res mesh, keep that in mind.

Great. When I had my ryzen other cars could have been boxes with wheels for all I cared. I dont really need car LOD now, but I wish I had the option back then.

• Deleted member 197115

I actually set it to 200%, seems like default 100% takes precedence over FOV controlled LOD distance and I can see car details popping in and out.

BTW, 8xMSAA, OMG, what GPU do you use?

I've been always amazed by the performance I can read on these forums. My rig is quite a strong one (6700k @ 4.7; 1080ti). As I race mostly only online, I have to set my settings to a very low level (ss 200, maa 4x, everything else to minimum, reflection off...) if I want to get a stable 90fps which is vital online...and last but not least I don't have an O+ but a dell visor....I really don't know guys how your able to max out almost everything....

Thought I'd reply to this as my first post.... I've just taken delivery of a Pimax 5k+ (2550x1440 per eye native res) running on a i5 7600k and RTX2080. After spending 2 long nights unsuccessfully trying to get PCars2 working in VR (something which has always been a PITA) someone suggested trying Assetto. OMG! It was like the first time I did VR all over again.
PC2 was basically awful, blocky, running at 40 to 50 fps. Assetto - 1st time in with no tweaking - nice and clear and 90fps! I could see details in the stands about 300m away with no shimmer. So I jumped in a TS040 and popped out a couple of laps of Silverstone. It was that good I nearly cried :) I laughed at one point as I realized I was tipping my head for the expected [but none existent] G forces going into the faster corners.
I haven't yet done any overclocking on my rig - only finished the build a week ago, and the arrival of the pimax caught me by surprise and sat unopened for a week as I'm still finishing off setting up my VR room [what most people know as a dining room ;)]
Joined up on here as I've been a Pcars player up till now. But VR in Assetto just works. So I've got a lot of learning about mods to do :)
PPS IF anyone wants to ask about VR I'm planning some posts (and a blog/youtube site) in future. I was running a VRCade till June 18 and have kept 1 of each headset. I.e I've got a Vive/Rift/PSVR and now the Pimax too (trying to get an O+ inside UK at a decent price too) . So can give honest feedback about each as I'm not justifying my purchase. Until the Pimax arrived I'd use the Rift for Racing, and the Vive for stand up FPS. Screen door is a bit better on the Rift and you only need a single sensor in front of you for tracking, but for standing up the Vive tracking is easier to set up and tracks better. The good news - Pimax is the best of both worlds, better screen door and res, used the Valve light house tracking, and the FOV is the killer USP xxx Being sat in the cockpit - instead of looking out a couple of circles, the FOV is now limited by the in game helmet :))) The VR driver isn't quite stable yet and still in beta, but if you are used to modding and playing with configs you'll love it. One big change came last week - fixed foveated rendering which makes Pimax the first headset to support it (possibly). They have an eye tracking module due eventually - which should mean being able to hit 90fps on anything from RTX2070 and above. Not sure if foveated will be supported on GTX cards yet.

Thought I'd reply to this as my first post.... I've just taken delivery of a Pimax 5k+ (2550x1440 per eye native res) running on a i5 7600k and RTX2080. After spending 2 long nights unsuccessfully trying to get PCars2 working in VR (something which has always been a PITA) someone suggested trying Assetto. OMG! It was like the first time I did VR all over again.
PC2 was basically awful, blocky, running at 40 to 50 fps. Assetto - 1st time in with no tweaking - nice and clear and 90fps! I could see details in the stands about 300m away with no shimmer. So I jumped in a TS040 and popped out a couple of laps of Silverstone. It was that good I nearly cried :) I laughed at one point as I realized I was tipping my head for the expected [but none existent] G forces going into the faster corners.
I haven't yet done any overclocking on my rig - only finished the build a week ago, and the arrival of the pimax caught me by surprise and sat unopened for a week as I'm still finishing off setting up my VR room [what most people know as a dining room ;)]
Joined up on here as I've been a Pcars player up till now. But VR in Assetto just works. So I've got a lot of learning about mods to do :)
PPS IF anyone wants to ask about VR I'm planning some posts (and a blog/youtube site) in future. I was running a VRCade till June 18 and have kept 1 of each headset. I.e I've got a Vive/Rift/PSVR and now the Pimax too (trying to get an O+ inside UK at a decent price too) . So can give honest feedback about each as I'm not justifying my purchase. Until the Pimax arrived I'd use the Rift for Racing, and the Vive for stand up FPS. Screen door is a bit better on the Rift and you only need a single sensor in front of you for tracking, but for standing up the Vive tracking is easier to set up and tracks better. The good news - Pimax is the best of both worlds, better screen door and res, used the Valve light house tracking, and the FOV is the killer USP xxx Being sat in the cockpit - instead of looking out a couple of circles, the FOV is now limited by the in game helmet :))) The VR driver isn't quite stable yet and still in beta, but if you are used to modding and playing with configs you'll love it. One big change came last week - fixed foveated rendering which makes Pimax the first headset to support it (possibly). They have an eye tracking module due eventually - which should mean being able to hit 90fps on anything from RTX2070 and above. Not sure if foveated will be supported on GTX cards yet.
Very interesting! Good to hear that Pimax HMDs are starting to arrive and that the experience so far has been a positive one. The wider FoV for sim racing is what interests me the most, but it's good to hear that distant details are also preserved, and with no shimmering. I didn't back Pimax because I had zero faith in them, but I'm starting to wish I had now. Maybe start a dedicated thread if other people are also starting to get theirs?

What about the resulting resolution and the screen door effect?

I've been always amazed by the performance I can read on these forums. My rig is quite a strong one (6700k @ 4.7; 1080ti). As I race mostly only online, I have to set my settings to a very low level (ss 200, maa 4x, everything else to minimum, reflection off...) if I want to get a stable 90fps which is vital online...and last but not least I don't have an O+ but a dell visor....I really don't know guys how your able to max out almost everything....

Not everything "maxed". There are smart trade offs. Dropping Mirrors resolution, mirrors draw distance, mirrors update frequency to 2 per second (custom shader patch in CM), are good ones. Dropping reflections update frequency and lowering PP filter quality to medium or high is another one. Changing apps text font also helps. The new LOD tip from @Peter Boese I bet it can help a lot too. Haven't tried it yet.

So, its not "everything" maxed. All depends where is you bottleneck. But its close to max.

What about the resulting resolution and the screen door effect?
Massive improvement over the Vive and Rift (I've not tried the Vive Pro). There is still screen door, but it no longer about 10% of the width of a pixel its more like 3%. E.g. in the Vive's white empty room you can see them if you look for them, but otherwise it's a convincingly white room.
Resolution it's not 4k equivalent, not by a long way, You've got 2550 stretched across 170 degrees - if you want to see what that looks like - sit about 10 inches in front of a 1440p monitor ;) But it makes Sim racing commercially viable for me. When I had the VRcade I wasn't happy to be presenting such low res stuff if people are paying for it. It's fine for stand up shooty VR as your head is flipping all over the place and your eyes don't notice the screen door and low res, but in sim racing you are staring 300m up the track with your head still. In the vive and rift you get a bunch of 10 pixels that distance with no detail. The pimax means you can now see the brake lights coming on and make out colours of who you are catching up to. Best example I can give - approaching the 1st roundabout coming down the Mulsanne straight I've stopped crashing while trying to outbreak people as the wider FOV gives a better feeling of what speed you are actually doing.
I even had another attempt at the Nurburgring last night - something I haven't bothered with in ages, as I just bounce off the armco, so stick to smaller easier to learn tracks. Didn't do it by halves - took the 919 for a spin see if I could beat the lap record :) LOL. I will just say this... that was by far the best anything I've done in VR. its something I'll never get to do in real life and why I think VR is so awesome. My outlap was a bit crashy as I calibrated my brain to road speed and gear selection. But the hotlap, holy crap, only 2 minor offs into the grass (that stupid left right half way round) and another just under a bridge at the top of the circuit, but to do that just by feel on a track I don't really know - was awesome. Hitting those 250km/h corners where you can't see over the crest and use the trees as guidance - before you get to the long straight the feeling of speed was insane. Ok I managed an 8:05 which is just under 3 minutes off what the car can do, but Timo Bernhard a) knows the course and b) the car and c) is an actual racing driver :) Put in this way - I finished that hot lap and I was shaking from adrenaline! I just pulled up on the GP circuit and waved out the window then went and made a G&T.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%