German F1 Grand Prix: Wacky Racers?

RaceDepartment

Administrator
Staff

We witnessed Sebastian Vettel making history by winning at Nurburgring after a hard battle against the man tipped to be his future team-mate and, in contrast to the skills of the podium finishers, some blunders that looked more like wacky races than F1.

Red Bull’s win at the German Grand Prix was soured by a shocking pitlane accident, when the right rear wheel of Mark Webber’s car came off as he exited his pitbox, bounced down the pitlane and struck a TV cameraman.

Afterwards, Red Bull chief Christian Horner called for all pit-lane personnel to be equipped with helmets. That’s all very well, and perhaps there does need to be a safety review, but Red Bull could have been more heavily penalised. I thought the £26,000 fine they were handed by the FIA was light. I’d have doubled it.

Force India also got slapped with a £4,300 penalty for the unsafe pit release of Paul di Resta, who nearly collided with a fast-reacting Jean-Eric Vergne. This year’s Force India is an incredibly capable machine. What a shame the team keep making pitstop and strategy cock-ups.

The comedy element was supplied by tail-enders Marussia, after Jules Bianchi pulled off the track with an engine fire and forgot to put the handbrake on. Before marshals could get to it, the car rolled backwards down the hill and across the track.

These vignettes aside, it was a strong race and an emotional victory for Vettel, who became the first German to win the German Grand Prix at the Nurbugring (as opposed to the German GP at Hockenheim or the European GP at the Nurburgring).

‘I have the race calendar hanging at home and have noted which wins are still missing, now I can tick off the box for Germany. But don’t get me wrong, next year I want to win again,’ he laughed.

The closing stages were incredibly tense after Lotus ordered Romain Grosjean (in his most impressive performance of the year) to yield second place to Kimi Raikkonen.

The Flying Finn immediately took chunks out of Vettel’s lead. The world champion finished ahead by a single second.

‘I’m glad it was 60 laps and not 61 or 62,’ admitted Seb.

Raikkonen and Vettel are close friends, and I fully expect Red Bull to go with that line-up next year. It’s something Vettel says he would support.

‘Kimi was always straight with me and it would be a great challenge.’ It’ll be epic to watch if it happens.

As for Lotus, they’re said to be in discussion with Nico Hulkenberg and Di Resta should they need to replace Kimi.

Image walkingleaf
View the Post on the Blog

"It’s something Vettel says he would support."

And I don't. I am sick of it and I sincerely hope Kimi does the right thing and doesn't join them. After all, his reply when confronted with Niki Lauda's statement of him being a "whimp if he doesn't join them"(Not to forget making a rival even stronger, wise choice Niki) was:

"What he is saying doesn't interest me."

I doubt RBR can give him the freedom he gets at Lotus, where he could even do snowmobile races. He doesn't want a 2nd Ferrari story. And honestly, does he need the money? No, not really. His bonus focusing points is good enough, isn't it?

IMO, they should hand it to Ricciardo(or Vergne, or even Buemi lol). Otherwise, Mateschitz should sell STR, no point in wearing young drivers if you just give them false hopes of getting to RBR one day:|

"and forgot to put the handbrake on"

F1 cars do have handbrakes? Or was that just for the laughs?:p

Agree with David. Really hope Kimi doesn't go to RBR. He needs to be in full-on competition with Vettel, not subject to team orders and Vettel f-ing him over even when told not to do so. He needs to go/stay somewhere where he is the definitive #1 driver.

Also agree with David on who should replace Webber... give it to one of the new guys and let them prove themselves.

Agree with both of you on that one. Vettel shouldn't need a stronger car. And he should not be screwing great drivers over like he has.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 318 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.2%