General F1 News

So we start of with Russia setting aside a whopping £125m for the 2014 Circuit

New Jersey Confirms a 10 year Deal for F1 to have a Street race there

check out the stories below.

Russia sets aside £125m for 2014 circuit
Russian_flag.png

The Russian government has set aside £125 million ($200m) to build its Formula 1 circuit in the city of Sochi, which is expected to host its inaugural event in 2014.

The figure is quite a low sum for an F1 track, though much of the infrastructure will already be in place as the track will be situated in the Winter Olympic park, which will also be held in Sochi in 2014.

Concerns were recently raised that construction of the track could have an impact on the games, but Dmitry Chernyshenko, president of the Sochi organising committee, is confident neither event will suffer.

"It was decided that the IOC [International Olympic Committee] will review the final feasibility study," he said, adding: "It [the race] will not impact on the timeframe of the preparation for the Games."

source

New Jersey confirms 10-year F1 deal

Formula One will be making a stopover in New Jersey from 2013 after the state's governor confirmed it will join the calendar in two years' time.

The announcement means the United States will host two grands prix in the near future as the United States Grand Prix, to be staged in Austin, which will be featured next year.

The Memorandum of Understanding signed by the relevant authorities guarantees the Grand Prix of America for 10 years.

"I'm pleased that New Jersey will play host to Formula One beginning 2013, bringing one of the world's most popular and exciting sports right to our backyard," Governor Chris Christie said in a statement.

Full story on the Frontpage

Is it me or are McLaren never bothered or excited about anything these days? they don't seem scared by what the other teams are bringing.

McLaren 'not excited' by Mercedes 2012 F-duct

McLaren will continue to bring new developments to the final few races, including this weekends Indian Grand Prix, in a bid to learn as much as possible for next season.
front-wing-mclaren-korea-9876.jpg

Technical director Paddy Lowe, revealed that the Woking outfit will debut a new front-wing in India as well as other minor changes as they not only look to close the gap to Red Bull, but to also develop parts for 2012.

"We are bringing some new aerodynamic pieces to this event," Lowe said during a Vodafone McLaren-Mercedes phone-in. "We have a new front wing, so that's the main thing and something we hope to take forward through to the last few races of the season.

"We are winding towards a close with what we'll bring in terms of updates this year. But things like the front wing will carry forward to next year as the regulations on the front are exactly the same."

Lowe also admitted that he and his technical team weren't overly excited by the possible loophole discovered by Mercedes, which has effectively allowed them to create a legal front-wing F-duct which allows air to enter the nosecone and exit at the bottom of the wing, increasing diffuser performance.

source

Buddh circuit under capacity for first race

The inaugural Indian Grand Prix is set to receive a crowd of over 80,000 people, race organisers have confirmed ahead of Sunday's showpiece.

Although the capacity of the new Buddh circuit is 120,000, it is still hoped that more tickets will be sold at a discounted rate in order to further fill the circuit.

12316.2.jpg

"We have sold close to 80,000 tickets which is pretty encouraging considering that its the first F1 race ever in the country," confirmed a spokesman for race promoter Jaypee. "Of course we would have been happier had we sold off 90 per cent tickets because ticket sales are the only source of revenue for us. But there are still a few days to go and we are keeping our fingers crossed."

Meanwhile, drivers and teams have offered mixed reaction after landing in preparation for the weekend's racing.
"I had a bit of a feeling that the Indians didn't really want to see us," Virgin driver Timo Glock told Germany's T-Online. "I hope the fans take us closer to the heart than the local immigration authorities did."

source

That's it for now, another thread will be up on Sunday Night, Enjoy your weekend guys.

There's a lot of Kimi stuff today, the F1 Racing interview is out (haven't found any other than this: http://www.f1racing.co.uk/testdrive), there's some snippets found in Finnish papers. What i've read, there's no agreement yet but i reall really like Kimis attitude, he's a straight-talker.. But mainly what has sparked his interest of a comeback is the technical changes that have been made in his absence; there's now a possibility to overtake and the new tires make everything interesting again.

Also he's said that if he comes back, it will be one year of driving in a smaller team, after that a move to a team that has real chance of championship.. Ferrari and McLaren are probably out so i think he has Webbers seat in RBR in mind... Everything is still speculation but the amount of rumours are stacking up, rarely this much interest in a story fail to materalize.. That would be great, 6 champions in the same grid... That means all the champions from 2000 to this day!

Glad to see that there's finally more North-American races, that's just good news for everybody.

Ha ha like it Ivo, I'm keeping my fingers crossed Kimi has signed for Williams, Sir Frank has apparently been out in the middle east and a major new sponsor could be on the cards and it is all linked to Kimi signing, it cant be easy for Frank travelling long distances in his condition so it shows he is still prepared to put in hard work to try and get the team on the way back up, a lot of staff changes have been made behind the scenes and the switch to Renault engines next season and the revival of the famous Williams Renault brand along with former world champ Kimi, is hopefully the start of the climb back towards the front.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back