GeForce Driver weirdness

Last few Nvidia drivers have had a few weird anomalies.
I've twice now, had to re-install GeForce Experience.
In both cases, it simply stopped working and would simply report 'something went wrong'.
As to the drivers themselves, 441.66 caused a very slight micro-stutter in Assetto Corsa Competizioni.
It was corrected with the installation of 441.87.
That driver was exceptionally smooth.
I made the mistake of accidentally clicking on the update driver tab when 442.19 was released.
That driver reintroduced quite a bit of micro-stutter...even more than the 441.66.
In the end, I just removed it with DDU and re-installed 441.87.
The smoothness returned.
Bear in mind all drivers were using the exact settings and nothing else had been changed.
It was clearly a driver issue in my case.

Have noticed nothing so far with latest driver but I don't use experience

Check W10 updates , there is a new cumulative and 2 others last week
Full manual install this is latest

W10 updates manual.jpg

They're three drivers which ran extremely smooth for me over the past few months.
The 425.11, 440.23 and 441.87 drivers are exceptionally smooth.
Over at Guru3d, some guys have experienced that very same micro-hitching with the 442.19.
It seems especially prevalent in ACC with the 1080 Ti...not sure about other cards.

Not liking this new split NCP install one bit... (wherein the driver and control panel are installed from separate locations).
I adjusted the Nvidia Control Panel to exactly what I needed it to be yesterday and did all my test.
Just a few minutes ago, I get a Windows desktop notification that NCP has been installed.
I go have a look to see what the heck is going on, only to find everything all the default.
Anybody else experience this?

When I read about all these problems of some forced uptating drivers without any user control then I admit that Im pretty satisfied I dont run the latest incarnation of Windows.
I have never had these problems:thumbsup:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: But ok its probably only me left back on the perron in the stone age:)

Not liking this new split NCP install one bit... (wherein the driver and control panel are installed from separate locations).
I adjusted the Nvidia Control Panel to exactly what I needed it to be yesterday and did all my test.
Just a few minutes ago, I get a Windows desktop notification that NCP has been installed.
I go have a look to see what the heck is going on, only to find everything all the default.
Anybody else experience this?

Sounds like you are using the DCH driver package. I've never tried them myself and still use the older packaging where everything is downloaded as one.

Apparently you can swap back and fourth from one packaging type to another to suit your preference: NVIDIA DCH/Standard Display Drivers for Windows 10 FAQ

Thing is...
I was quite happy with the performance of the 441.87 Nvidia driver after I'd set it up just the way I wanted it.
I will be removing this driver and going back to the 425.11 where I too am responsible for ALL updates.
It is infuriating that this would happen without even asking if I wanted it... on an independent piece of software no less.
I could certainly understand and tolerate it for a Windows product or add-ons.
I just got done optimizing that NVCPL yesterday morning.
I now get to do it all over again.

Last edited:
When I read about all these problems of some forced uptating drivers without any user control then I admit that Im pretty satisfied I dont run the latest incarnation of Windows.
I have never had these problems

It’s easy to permanently turn off automatic driver updates in Windows 10 and just accept security and feature updates. I’ve used Windows 10 almost since it was released (fully updated, apart from drivers) and have yet to have an issue with it.

@maelstrom
Actually it was not for trolling but when I read such kind of nuisance reports almost every time something has been "secretly" updated by mostly MS but now also by nVidia in almost every forum with a thread discussing these oh so urgent quality, security and now definition "updates" - then I just think why do people accept this patronising taking control over their computer.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Its even worse because often the same people who have just described all the buggy stuff imposed on their puter does attack other people who try to stay away from this malice by holding on to an older version of Windows. Trying to stay away from completely loosing control over their own computer.

Thing is...
I was quite happy with the performance of the 441.87 Nvidia driver after I'd set it up just the way I wanted it.
I will be removing this driver and going back to the 425.11 where I too am responsible for ALL updates.
It is infuriating that this would happen without even asking if I wanted it... on an independent piece of software no less.
I could certainly understand and tolerate it for a Windows product or add-ons.
I just got done optimizing that NVCPL yesterday morning.
I now get to do it all over again.

Sounds very frustrating. Are you able to confirm whether you have the standard or DCH packaging at the moment?

If it turns out that you are using DCH, I'm wondering if you could swap back to standard and that may perhaps retain your NCP settings when you do subsequent updates in the future.

Sounds very frustrating. Are you able to confirm whether you have the standard or DCH packaging at the moment?

If it turns out that you are using DCH, I'm wondering if you could swap back to standard and that may perhaps retain your NCP settings when you do subsequent updates in the future.
Thanks.
The installed driver was in fact, the DCH version of 441.87.
I should have picked up on that since after the auto update was completed, a pop-up stated that the NVCPL needed to be installed from the Microsoft store.
I had auto updated from the previous 441.66 which had not at all been smooth for me.
I have now stripped the system of those offending drivers with DDU, removed anything remotely associated with Nvidia...(directories etc...) and installed the non-DCH version of 442.19.
The smoothness is back and with it hopefully, no more shenanigans with NVCPL switching.
This is the first time I can remember in recent times being PO/ed at something this egregious.

Last edited:
CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Its even worse because often the same people who have just described all the buggy stuff imposed on their puter does attack other people who try to stay away from this malice by holding on to an older version of Windows. Trying to stay away from completely loosing control over their own computer.

I wasn't suggesting that you should change your OS, just that it's easy to mitigate the problems caused by automatic driver updates in Win 10.

Me too tried DCH never liked
I rather "cleaned driver "
I realize you use experience but just for next fresh OS try this first ;)

Install only drivers, MS updates then test sims one up

P.S. OT
I found my desktop snappier with no Samsung NVMe driver

dedicated NVMe driver for optimal compatibility and performance.

What does Optimal performance even mean ? Crystal Disk ? lol

Once a SSD cache fills it is all over rover

Last edited:
problems caused by automatic driver updates in Win 10.

NEVER

You can download everything you need from MS links in technical page
In order on fresh OS offline

1. mpam-fe

2. Windows-KB890830-x64-V5.80 or 32bit if you have . click default Quick Scan

3. Cumulative

4. Netframe

5. Adobe

Install in that order, then go online and run Update it will download 2.... current virus def and Anti Malware like screenshot shows

If you search by clicking on installed update in History it will take you to MS page
If you scroll down to bottom of each upgrade page you will see the Catalog blue links I put up

MAKE SURE you pick the right version for W10 X64 not W10 Server all links should have 1903 and 1909 versions as well

edit:
Sorry
had to change catalog links stop working
On links above scroll down to " How to get this update " use that link to catalog or put KB # in catalog search bar

Last edited:
I just stumbled upon an experimental Nvidia driver which is causing ACC to absolutely 'fly' on my system.
It appears to be an 'in-house' test driver.
I came across it while browsing the Nvidia driver forum at Guru3d.com.
The driver is listed as 450.12.
I ran a single race at Kyalami and I simply can't believe the speed and smoothness.
It was even better than my 425.11 or 441.87...which takes some doing.
Any hitching seen in the video is not there in the actual replay and caused during the upload.

Last edited:
I just stumbled upon an experimental Nvidia driver which is causing ACC to absolutely 'fly' on my system.
It appears to be an 'in-house' test driver.
I came across it while browsing the Nvidia driver forum at Guru3d.com.
The driver is listed as 450.12.
I ran a single race at Kyalami and I simply can't believe the speed and smoothness.
It was even better than my 425.11 or 441.87...which takes some doing.
Any hitching seen in the video is not there in the actual replay and caused during the upload.

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Can I ask which post of that thread you took the driver link from?
There's more than one link offered and some debate over whether each link leads you to either a standard or DCH version.

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Can I ask which post of that thread you took the driver link from?
There's more than one link offered and some debate over whether each link leads you to either a standard or DCH version.
I used the link from the second post on page one titled....
Nvidia 450.12 WHQL for Win10 x64
I have not even gone in and changed any setting in the driver...and at this rate, I probably won't. It is running that well...extremely smooth.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 108 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 204 15.0%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 521 38.3%