GEditor no longer opens GTR files

Can't understand why GEditor no longer opens .gtr files like it used to. Used to be able to click on OBJ.GTR or TEX.GTR and it would show what .dds or .gmt files were packed within that GTR file. Now it simply opens an UNTITLED.GTR file with nothing packed inside. Anybody have any ideas why that might be? I'm concerned that the constant updates that Windows 10 sends me may have messed something up. I know it worked fine 6 months ago. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Mine is still working perfectly ... but I don't have the latest Win10 version yet.... I'm never in a hurry to install any new version with maybe lots of problems or one single problematic bug.

In fact what I mostly do is double-click the .gtr file to open it .... and rarely use the Geditor top menu to open a .gtr file except reopening a pure object one after a tex one .... for the obvious known reason with them.

Anyway, I just retested it using the menu and it's also perfectly working.

My GEditor is not installed in C:/ .... is yours installed there ? ... maybe try to use it in another disk, in case Admin rights should once more be a problem.

Last edited:
I always have done just as you said, double-clicking the .gtr file to open it and it would open without actually using the Geditor, and it would show the contents of that .gtr file in a seperate window. Now all I get is an empty (grayed out) .gtr file named UNTITLED.GTR. I guess it probably has to do with the Windows updates screwing things up. Not a real big deal, but I don't have a top of the line computer and found that resizing some really huge .dds files would make my game run better, now I can't do that anymore. I did have GEditor installed in C:/ and never had a problem with it before. Thank you for your reply Jempy

Could you check in Win10 default application by file type if .GTR is well Geditor ....

According to what you explain it looks like Geditor is just opening without any other action.
That's what I get when I simply double-click the Geditor.exe

But before ... just try to open a .gtr file with right-click and "Open with" .. choosing of course your Geditor ( if this works ... just do the same a second time choosing always use this application .... and it'll work as usual afterwards ).

Else try to install this Geditor anywhere else than C:/ if you have another disk or at least out of Program files or Programs folder..... or even in your documents.

Last edited:
I tried everything you suggested and nothing works. Man, this ticks me off. Now if the game crashes and the trace file shows a .gmt or texture file is missing I can't open the .gtr file to verify and correct the problem. Too often the author of a mod will update it and make changes from the previous version. Sometimes a simple change to the genstring will correct that problem, but now I can't even see what change I might have to make. Anyway, thanks again for your help, Jempy. Wish your suggestions had worked. Cheers!

Well I got it worked out and the solution was so simple that I really feel quite stupid; I just have to run GEditor as administrator! Don't know why I didn't try that earlier. Never had to do that before, so I guess it was because of Windows 10 updates.

Mine is not in C: ... so surely the reason why I had no single problem running it without admin rights and that I didn't even think of this reason. ;)

So ... fine you finally thought about that point and your problem is solved.

You still will be able to modify when needed. :thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 231 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 118 7.5%
  • < 5 years