F1 2018 Gearing up to buying wheel/pedals...

F1 2018 The Game (Codemasters)
Hey,

I've been playing F1 2018 pretty much everyday since buying it last month and still look forward to each session. I'm going to buy a wheel/pedal set soon and have decided on the T300 and was going to go with the GT edition but I see that $80CAD more gets me the Ferrari Alcantara edition that is the same T300 base and the same T3PA pedals but with the Thrustmaster pedal plates and a better reviewed wheel.

I have not played any other games but expect to get into GTS next and perhaps AC as well (PS4). The question I have is if I end up sticking with F1 as my primary game, I'm not sure that the Alcantara wheel will have been my best choice as it's less F1'ey than the GT wheel due to it being a bit bigger and more of a reach to the buttons and paddles.

That said, it seems that others really like the Alcantara wheel because it's bigger than the GT wheel so if I get more into GTS I might prefer the larger wheel. Without being in a position to spend any more now, getting a dedicated F1 wheel isn't an option yet. So hoping some of you have some insight on what the best choice might be with F1 use as part of plan.

One thing to note with the Alcantara . If you have sweaty palms when driving and/or want to keep the wheel looking immaculate you'll need to play with driving gloves ( or something similar ) as if you play with sweaty palms constantly it'll ruin the look of the Alcantara ( ie it'll make the suede/velvet look go smooth and shiny ) . It does get good reviews though but thats one of the care tips they say about it .

One thing to note with the Alcantara . If you have sweaty palms when driving and/or want to keep the wheel looking immaculate you'll need to play with driving gloves ( or something similar ) as if you play with sweaty palms constantly it'll ruin the look of the Alcantara ( ie it'll make the suede/velvet look go smooth and shiny ) . It does get good reviews though but thats one of the care tips they say about it .

I had read this but also have seen YouTube videos where owners don’t use gloves and state it looks as immaculate as it did the day they bought it. Who knows.

I decided to pull the trigger today and bought the Alcantara edition based on the numerous positive reviews of it pretty much displacing all other rims in people’s possession. I figure I’ll likely be happier with this wheel for GT racing when I get started in that and it’ll work well enough for F1 now. I’ll likely get an F1 rim eventually and then I’ll have a good wheel for both uses, which saves me from having to buy an F1 rim and potentially feel I need to upgrade the stock GT edition rim too.

It's good, but they do two handy formula rims. Both cost just over £100 in the UK. I'm a big fan of the open wheel, but the F1 rim is a favourite of many

I received my Playseat Challenge today and mounted the T300 599XX Evo edition and am loving it. Quite happy with my purchases but I do see an F1 rim in my future. The 599 rim is decent, but I think the F1 rim will be a step up in terms of button mapping and toggling through settings on the fly.

Started using manual gears today so had to set ERS back to auto as manual tranny, no assists, fuel management and ERS is just a bit too much for me to handle all at once currently. I'll get there. I'd like to get to the point where I'm able to easily access the brake bias and diff too, but this is exactly where that F1 rim will come into play I think.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 223 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%