Gaming PC - Is this rig overkill it for sim racing?

Looks top of the line for running the intense modern games, but is it overkill for sim racing? Thank you for any input.

https://www.newegg.com/ABS-ALI506/p/N82E16883360106

• CPU: Intel Core i7 10700F 2.90GHz (4.80GHz Turbo Boost), 8-Core 16-Thread
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (Brand May Vary)
  • Motherboard: Intel B460M (Brand May Vary)
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz (2x8GB)
  • SSD: 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
  • CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 240MM RGB All In One Cooler
  • PSU: 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU
  • Case: DEEPCOOL MATREXX 50 ADD-RGB 4F Mid-Tower Case 4x120mm ADD-RGB Fans, Full-size Tempered Glass Side And Front Panel
  • WiFi: Yes
  • Bluetooth: Yes
  • VR Ready: Yes
  • Peripherals: Gaming Keyboard and Mouse (EVGA Z15 RGB Gaming Keyboard and EVGA X17 Gaming Mouse)
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (free upgrade to Windows 11 upon release)
    ‍check ABS/Helix computers with Windows 10 Pro
  • Dimension: 18.90" x 8.27" x 17.32"

Short answer: no.

It depends on what you want to run, what resolution you want to run it at and how many FPS you want to achieve.
If you are on a 1080p screen and only want to run AC, then it's somewhat OP as a machine, but not recklessly so.
If you want to run VR in ACC... well, the faster you can get, the better (and the machine above probably still won't deliver a flawless experience!).

Upvote 0
Thank you. I would be using 50" UHD 3840x2160 running ACC rF2 and AMS2. No VR. Sounds like this would be a good computer for me.
Well, I reckon you'll probably be OK but there'd be no harm in putting a query in the ACC subforum to check if people are happy at that resolution, on that GPU with ACC (I think the CPU will be OK tho). It's an extremely demanding sim...
(ACC runs fine for me on a 7700K with a GTX 970 on a 1080p screen :D)

Upvote 0
It's not overkill to run sims at 4k resolution. Honestly for a lot of us we just can't buy the hardware that we want because they dont make gpu's fast enough or cpus fast enough to maintain the FPS we want at the resolutions we want with all the eye candy we want.

It will run any of the sims out there, overkill is only determined by whats acceptable to you. If your TV is one that only does 60hz then you are probably fine for most sims. If it does 120hz then maybe it's not acheivable on all sims to do that with that computer.

Sim racing has a number of titles,some much more demanding than others.

Upvote 0
I would say no not overkill but more then is necessary, but it really is a matter of opinion. You could get away with less for now. Sure. At the same time, that machine won't be able to crank the settings on triple 4K so it is not really overkill. I think the key would be not letting others tell you what you "need" What one person considers a need, I often don't. You can be happy without everything maxed or at 4K. What someone turns their nose up at now probably would have been considered killer 5 years ago. Were all those people that were happy 5 years ago wrong? No. Just because there is better out now does not need you need any of it.

Upvote 0
Price is "good" for what you get. :thumbsup:
GPU is good enough for single screen 4k. In ACC you won't be able to run everything maxed out but it will look good!

10700f... It's a mixed bag but I think it's actually a good choice right now!
There's the 11th gen Intel that can be great but can also be worse than 10th gen in some games.

The issue is that the B board can't overclock a CPU, your 10700F can't be overclocked anyway.

Overall: You lose a bit of performance due to lower clockspeeds but you save quite some money and still get good clock speeds.

In the end you currently have to make the choice to go "medium" performance right now and probably buy some 12th gen Intel or AMD 6xxx mobo+CPU+DDR5 in the future. (The next gen will be a "big one"!)
Or get the best you can get right now and hopefully be fine for a longer time.

You get a full package for that price though, which is nice!

I would gladly create you a custom alternative but with the current GPU prices, when you wanna buy them separately, I just can't...

Upvote 0
Weak link is likely to be the monitor. Plenty of resolution, but refresh rate is only 60hz so it will be tear city no matter how good the GPU is
Thanks to rtss (Riva tuner statistics server), you could either use scaline sync, which takes a bit of performance but puts the tearing border outside of the visible area and reduces input lag very well.
Or you could use vsync and limit the fps in rtss to 0.03 fps below your refresh rate (check the real hz via vsync tester dot com (just Google for it)).
This gets rid of the tearing via vsync but keeps the frame buffers empty and reduces input lag a lot.

The only issue could be the general input lag of the TV... Does it have some gaming mode?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 207 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years