Games List with TRUE Triple screen and/or VR support

Simple enough question: Looking to expand my library if possible, but I really prefer games with true triple screen support (but I'll include VR support for those who love it as well). Trouble is there isn't a concise list of all racing games with each game's supported modes. Not anymore!

“Wait...what the heck is TRUE triple screen support?!”:

For those who don't know what True Triple Screen support means (a bit of a stretch at RD, but just in case), here’s a kinda quick description: the game has separate triple-screen options (don’t confuse this with a simple “super-wide” resolution setting like 5760 x 1080 for example...) that generates a separate camera for each monitor, not 1 camera stretched over 3 screens. Games without true triple screen support have a fish-eye lens effect where the image on the left and right monitors are stretched out; something I can't stand to see.

Games with true triple screen support allows the user to angle the side monitors towards them, giving a surround effect that’s distortion free and as close to real life perspective as mathematically possible (i.e. a corner 150m away should appear the same distance and approach you at the same speed as IRL...it was the closest thing to VR before VR :D).

It’s not a quick process to setup, as you need to know your exact distance from your eyes to the center monitor as well as the monitor’s screen height; this determines the correct angle for the side monitors as well as the mathematically correct Field Of View or “FOV”. Having the exact same 3 monitors is not necessary, but it is highly recommended to better replicate the illusion of ‘being inside the car’. Also, the closer you are to the monitor, the more of the car you’ll be able to see. The biggest benefit of all this is how it’ll improve your cornering and braking reactions, as you have more time to react accurately/smoothly and hit your apex, compared to having too high FOV (fish eye lens effect).

Some games will give you extensive variables to enter to perfect your setup, especially if you have various sized monitors (rFactor 2 is probably the best at this), some will ask for a few measurements and then recommend the best angles and FOV (iRacing), while others will only allow an FOV adjustment and assumes you have your distance and angles all correct to the FOV you set (rFactor 1 and Automobilista’s Multiview Option)

Here’s an example...Multiview On is what true triple screen support looks like...don’t worry, it looks perfect when viewed across 3 monitors with the sides pull in:
yMOoPnG.gif

I am well aware of the WideScreen Gaming Forum website (http://www.wsgf.org) that lists similar info, however, it has two issues:
  • It's dedicated to all games, but somehow is missing couple racing games (Automobilista and Raceroom Racing Experience for starters)
  • Its idea of Multi Monitor support is simply keeping the HUD in the center monitor at proper proportions; stretched out images on the side monitors don't seem to be a deciding factor. For example: both Assetto Corsa and GRID 2 were given the gold medal for Multi Monitor support, but only AC has true triple support.
Also, as many of us have triple screen setups and would rather not go the VR route (and vice-versa for the VR heads), it would be nice to have a clear list that can be updated over time to document what type of support each game has. Lastly, on the VR side I'm talking about true VR support built into the game, not a 3rd party hack/mod.

So without further ado...please name all the racing games (sim, simcade, arcade...doesn't matter) you know of with true triple screen and/or native VR support OR list those you know definitely do not have either option. Doesn't matter how old it is and you can list multiple games that fall under a series (example: Codemasters F1 series). Also, if the option to set true triple screen mode is not easily discoverable (i.e. not an option in the game's menu) please mention that. I'll start us off:

(EDIT: This list will now reflect only the current status of released games.)

Only Triple Screen:
rFactor (1)
Automobilista (1)

Only VR:
Dirt Rally
Dirt Rally 2.0
GRID Autosport
Live for Speed

Both Triple Screen and VR:
Assetto Corsa
Assetto Corsa Competizione
Automobilista 2
RaceRoom Racing Experience
iRacing
Project CARS (1)
Project CARS 2
rFactor 2
Euro Truck Simulator 2
American Truck Simulator

Neither Triple Screen or VR:
The entire F1 series (F1 2010 to F1 2020)
GRID
GRID 2
Dirt 1 - 5

Last edited:
I've been wondering now: was rFactor 1 the first game to have true triple support or are there some older titles?

Upvote 0
Hmm...what's up with the wink though? Does it have a bad implementation of VR?
No, I believe (tho I don't have VR myself) that LFS actually has pretty excellent VR, and was one of the first racing sims to have it. The wink was because it's not getting a lot of love these days, sadly. (Possibly something to do with a physics patch being a smidgin (decade or so) overdue, or other such pedantry :p)

Upvote 0
Euro Truck Simulator has both VR and triples; and it IS a racing game, ever tried hauling cattle from London to Berlin on a timer in a truck that can not go uphills because you are too poor to upgrade it?!! :roflmao::whistling:

Upvote 0
No, I believe (tho I don't have VR myself) that LFS actually has pretty excellent VR, and was one of the first racing sims to have it. The wink was because it's not getting a lot of love these days, sadly. (Possibly something to do with a physics patch being a smidgin (decade or so) overdue, or other such pedantry :p)
LFS has awesome VR when u move ur head around it also moves in game!! So you can really notice who is/is not using vr

Upvote 0
On a serious note: Project cars 1 has VR support btw not sure about triples, assetto corsa competizione is coming out this month and will have VR support implemented in October. It will have triple support on release.

Upvote 0
Euro Truck Simulator has both VR and triples; and it IS a racing game, ever tried hauling cattle from London to Berlin on a timer in a truck that can not go uphills because you are too poor to upgrade it?!! :roflmao::whistling:

Haha added! Also added American Truck Simulator under the assumption that they built both using the same engine.

On a serious note: Project cars 1 has VR support btw not sure about triples, assetto corsa competizione is coming out this month and will have VR support implemented in October. It will have triple support on release.

Added, thanks! I own pCARS 1 but uninstalled before I got triples years ago. However it seems there is indeed triple support so on the “Both” list it goes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it safe to assume no Codemasters games have proper triple screen support? Any more Codies titles with VR besides Dirt Rally?

Upvote 0
Assetto Corsa Competizione this does not support triples. When it does you can add to list but at the moment it does not.

Thanks, I meant to edit that since getting ACC...I was under the impression it would have it on EA release day, single screen sim racing feels so weird now :roflmao:

Unbelievably it was implemented in GRID Autosport, but in a very primitive way and for old, long since outdated versions of the Oculus SDK.

http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/10/grid-autosport-oculus-rift-support/

Thanks, will update :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
List now includes entries for all Codemasters F1 and Dirt games. Also from now on I’ll only list currently implemented methods on currently released games to avoid mistakes like my ACC assumption.

How about the arcade racers? True Triple support is doubtful for most of them, VR is more likely. Let’s go...

Upvote 0
Thread is a good idea though would it not be better served in the sim racing hardware forums. Firstly it's very on topic there, secondly you'll get feedback and offer the benefit of the knowledge to a much wider audience?

Upvote 0
Thread is a good idea though would it not be better served in the sim racing hardware forums. Firstly it's very on topic there, secondly you'll get feedback and offer the benefit of the knowledge to a much wider audience?

Totally agree Dave...but I don't have the Staff/Mod powers to move the whole thread over there...and starting a new one would lose the posts made in this one. If you could make it happen, I certainly wouldn't mind.

Upvote 0
Totally agree Dave...but I don't have the Staff/Mod powers to move the whole thread over there...and starting a new one would lose the posts made in this one. If you could make it happen, I certainly wouldn't mind.
Yeah I can, my question was also an offer to take care of it. :)

I'll leave a redirect in the old location for a few days.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back