Game won't launch

TL;DR rF2 thinks I have insufficient VRAM, but that's not true. How can I force the game to launch anyway?

So, just bought rF2, because of the Steam discount. No DLC or anything FYI. Thought I'd give it a try. After configuring the game in the graphics config, I get this error:

Startup Error - Insufficient video memory detected - 512 MB Minimum Required
Continue Anyway?
I click Continue Anyway, and the game immediately quits.

FYI I have an i9 iMac with a Radeon 580x (basically a RX 580) with ~8 GB of VRAM. I run Windows in a VMware Fusion virtual machine, and comfortably play AMS1, rF1, GTR2, RACE07, and Raceroom - with hundreds of FPS in the older titles, max settings. An unconventional setup I know, but it's what works for me at the moment. When running the other titles, I sometimes look at my Mac system monitor, and can see that there is lots of GPU usage, and I have the VM configured to use all of the 8+ GB of VRAM and 3D acceleration including DX11 support. So, in other words, I know my graphics drivers work.

I was only expecting a low settings experience with rF2 given the VM performance hit and my system specs - but I was hoping the game would, you know, launch.

Attempted solutions:

1. At first I thought the game's config hadn't selected the right drivers. I then manually told the game to use the high performance VMware drivers in the rF2 config, but... same problem.
  2. Then I thought it was because the game had no content, so I subbed to a few mods in the workshop - but then they never downloaded, presumably because the game wouldn't launch.
  3. I then manually downloaded the Enduracers Alpine and Trembling Mountain mods manually and put the RFCMP files into my Packages folder, but still no change.
  4. I've also tried deleting the ConfigDX11 file and redoing the config, but nothing.
  5. I also reinstalled the VM graphics drivers (which is a reinstall of VMware Tools, in case you're wondering). Same problem.
Very frustrating, as you can imagine. Given everything I've heard about rF2, I didn't expect a smooth experience... but I wasn't expecting this.

Any further troubleshooting advice? How can I force the game to launch? While I think I understand why rF2 is complaining (VM graphics drivers are NOT what the game is programmed to understand) I know my system has enough resources to play the game, even at a low-settings experience. I just need to force rF2 to try to launch.

Any help would be massively appreciated, thanks!

Yo tengo una Asus con Windows y tengo el mismo problema. Existe alguna solución sabida en la web? Muchas Gracias!
I can only respond in English, but I understand your question, and no, I never did find a solution allowing me to launch rF2 'overriding' the warning. Happily, I can play rF2 on my Mac using a native Windows install on a Bootcamp partition, but that's not helpful to you with your problem.

I would try re-installing graphics drivers as a first step. Hopefully that helps.

If this doesn't fix the problem, I would ask your question in the Studio 397 official rF2 Discord, where you could tell the devs and support people about your issues and hopefully they could help you out.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back