Game Stuttering

Update 04/12/20: I've added my last post to here so people see what the issue was straight away.

OK, I think I've got to the bottom of why the game was locking up / frame stutter / slideshow effect.

I've been doing quick testing just using an Xbox One controller over Bluetooth. Assetto Corsa doesn't seem to recognise it like it does the Xbox 360 controller. It appears something like XInputController…. in the control section of CM. It was weird I couldn't modify button presses and bind them to additional controls even though it would show them as being pressed but wouldn't let me assign to functions.

Anyway, it would at least let me drive with steering and and gear changes. It looks like Assetto Corsa was losing it's connection with the controller and this is when things lock up in game. I even had it where my car wouldn't move but throttle was stuck on and framerate was tanking. Once I quit out and went back to CM it wasn't showing any controller connected until I rebooted PC.

I've reverted back to my old Xbox 360 controller using the old Xbox Controller wireless adapter plugged into USB port. This now shows up as a true XBox360 Controller in AC and let's me assign any button to any function.

Not sure why AC is struggling with the Xbox One controller over Bluetooth. Other games seem OK but probably not played with it enough to be sure. It may be that AC was never developed with this kind of controller type / path in mind.

PS. I normally would use my Thrustmaster wheel but I use the Gamepad for quickness when fiddling with settings.

Original First Post:
I've just got an RTX 3080 and installed it on my PC (9900k, 32Gb 3600Mhz RAM, Samsung 500Gb 970 Evo plus NVME). I've just done a clean install of Windows 10, AC, Content Manager, Latest CSP, Latest SOL.

I did a test race against AI at Nürburgring just after sunset. I was getting bad stuttering at various moments for no reason. Sometimes it felt like a slide show. My car and the AI car in front started smoking tyres down the straight when flat out during these stutters. It was weird like something else was at play rather than CPU or GPU limitation.

I was running at 1440p and had vsync off no frame rate limit and was getting 140+ fps.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any pointers? Is it the CSP / Sol mods? I could try re-installing just AC on it's own to prove but that's a pain in the *ss.

Last edited:
I've just got an RTX 3080 and installed it on my PC (9900k, 32Gb 3600Mhz RAM, Samsung 500Gb 970 Evo plus NVME). I've just done a clean install of Windows 10, AC, Content Manager, Latest CSP, Latest SOL.

I did a test race against AI at Nürburgring just after sunset. I was getting bad stuttering at various moments for no reason. Sometimes it felt like a slide show. My car and the AI car in front started smoking tyres down the straight when flat out during these stutters. It was weird like something else was at play rather than CPU or GPU limitation.

I was running at 1440p and had vsync off no frame rate limit and was getting 140+ fps.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any pointers? Is it the CSP / Sol mods? I could try re-installing just AC on it's own to prove but that's a pain in the *ss.
This problem is a PITA.

I don't have a big answer for you. But it is easy to uninstall Sol and CSP. CSP uninstall in Content Manager and Sol now has an uninstaller exe (I think it comes with later versions of Sol, no?).

Sunset can cause problems sometimes. But -crap- I'd expect an RTX 3080 and your CPU (and only 1440pixels) to be able to handle it easily.

I'd suggest you do searches here on RD for "stuttering" in AC threads

This problem is a PITA.

I don't have a big answer for you. But it is easy to uninstall Sol and CSP. CSP uninstall in Content Manager and Sol now has an uninstaller exe (I think it comes with later versions of Sol, no?).

Sunset can cause problems sometimes. But -crap- I'd expect an RTX 3080 and your CPU (and only 1440pixels) to be able to handle it easily.

I'd suggest you do searches here on RD for "stuttering" in AC threads

It's weird,

I'm wondering if I had some massive disk access / install / CPU intensive task at the time. I think my PC was downloading something on Battlenet in the background. I don't know if it was just finishing up when I had the stutters.

I need to give it a few more goes to see if I can consistently recreate this issue. I should start with checking no other major activities are going on. Perhaps even closing all background tasks.

I was thinking with my CPU and GPU combo nothing should phase it?

It's weird,

I'm wondering if I had some massive disk access / install / CPU intensive task at the time. I think my PC was downloading something on Battlenet in the background. I don't know if it was just finishing up when I had the stutters.

I need to give it a few more goes to see if I can consistently recreate this issue. I should start with checking no other major activities are going on. Perhaps even closing all background tasks.

I was thinking with my CPU and GPU combo nothing should phase it?
Assetto Corsa on 1440 resolution with those processors should be very easy to handle

Played around a bit more last night and seemed fine. I'm hoping it was some heavy background task.

It's because I've just done a complete re-install of my PC due to new GPU. As soon as things don't look right I'm assuming I have some kind of bug or driver issue.

I've installed the latest CSP and SOL so having to spend time getting them setup how I want.

Have you also checked FTH? Is it enabled?

And also, as a side note, do a clean installation of your GPU drivers. Don´t install a new card and update just the drivers. There´s an uninstall package available for NVIDIA drivers. I´ve had the same issues (both FTH and GPU drivers) which drove me crazy until I figured it out.

OK, I think I've got to the bottom of why the game was locking up / frame stutter / slideshow effect.

I've been doing quick testing just using an Xbox One controller over Bluetooth. Assetto Corsa doesn't seem to recognise it like it does the Xbox 360 controller. It appears something like XInputController…. in the control section of CM. It was weird I couldn't modify button presses and bind them to additional controls even though it would show them as being pressed but wouldn't let me assign to functions.

Anyway, it would at least let me drive with steering and and gear changes. It looks like Assetto Corsa was losing it's connection with the controller and this is when things lock up in game. I even had it where my car wouldn't move but throttle was stuck on and framerate was tanking. Once I quit out and went back to CM it wasn't showing any controller connected until I rebooted PC.

I've reverted back to my old Xbox 360 controller using the old Xbox Controller wireless adapter plugged into USB port. This now shows up as a true XBox360 Controller in AC and let's me assign any button to any function.

Not sure why AC is struggling with the Xbox One controller over Bluetooth. Other games seem OK but probably not played with it enough to be sure. It may be that AC was never developed with this kind of controller type / path in mind.

PS. I normally would use my Thrustmaster wheel but I use the Gamepad for quickness when fiddling with settings.

Have you also checked FTH? Is it enabled?

And also, as a side note, do a clean installation of your GPU drivers. Don´t install a new card and update just the drivers. There´s an uninstall package available for NVIDIA drivers. I´ve had the same issues (both FTH and GPU drivers) which drove me crazy until I figured it out.

Hi, I checked for the FTH issue and didn't find it registered so that is not the issue. I've also installed the latest CM which checks for this issue automatically.

My issue was related to using the Xbox One Gamepad over Bluetooth (either Gamepad itself or Bluetooth is the culprit).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 159 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%