Game gets too long to load

Hi guys, my first post here, and unfortunately that will be a request for help. I recently reinstalled GTR 2 (Steam version), but when I launch the game, it gets stuck in a black screen for a long, long time, like a good 90 seconds, before loading the main menu. At first, I thought the game froze in the black screen, but then I waited and the main menu showed up. During the period stuck in the black screen, I cannot Alt+Tab at all or close the game.

I have already reinstalled the game, verified files integrity, installed 1.1 patch, applied noCD patch, applied 4GB patch and even messed with Config.ini, but no success. I asked for help on GTR 2 Steam discussions but got not reply, I really don't know what else to try solve this absurdly long loading issue.

I set up a log file (with -tracer=1000 launch parameter), and I noticed several lines in it with this error: "setup.cpp 1194: Could not find .HDC". The remaining lines are normal, just describing normal game C++ source code being loaded, so that's why I haven't upload the log file.

I also installed Race 07 and the same issue is happening, and most likely other SimBin games will exhibit the same problem as well. This issue has never happened before, I just want to start the game, but I have to wait like a minute and a half, it's very annoying. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I already read long ago that GTR2 is never better and more efficient than when installed at the root of a disk.
I had GTR2 installed on XP, Win7 and Win10 and it was always running and starting +- the same way.

With XP, PC only had 1 disk and GTR2 was in C:/ root folder .... with Win7 and Win10 ... at the root of D:/ as I might afford a 2nd disk with a new PC at the time..... anyway, always out of Windows "Program files" folder .... at it really looks like fine to be out of it. :D

Nowadays, 2 GTR2 installs are rather heavy with mods ... and they are still installed on D:/ disk ( SSHD now... 1st launch takes +- 1 minute 30 to start ... and 25 seconds the next times ).
So ... the best way to have a quick starting GTR2 seems to be: on another disk than C:/, in the root folder and even better if it's a SSD ;)
( but I prefered to keep it on SSHD as I'm working much on it and prefer not to write too many times on a SSD )

Om my computer Gtr2 starts up much faster! Even the install with several large Endurance mods starts up in 42 sec for first and 15 sec for repeat starts.
I count from you click the .exe to the Menu shows up.
With Gtr2 install on a 2Tb normal HD.
Computer Spec: i7 7700K and RTX 2070. Windows 10

The reason it takes longer first time is the shaders gets compiled.
So if you are fiddling with something that could change the shaders it is a good idea to start another program and stop that again . Then Gtr2 will recompile the shaders again.
I have wasted weeks :( not realizing that!

One thing I have never figured out is why Gtr2 from time to time runs at 1/2 - 1/3 fps ? A restart always fixes that!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 279 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 189 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 191 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 248 13.5%