PC2 Game changing info

Edit: There has been some tweaks/changes in the past few patches so please use the temps listed in the link below for each class as recommended by Casey.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57541-Project-CARS-2-Tyre-Temps

So the game has been out now for a few weeks and I have had the joys of listening to the raving reviews and the hatred towards it, peoples opinions and complete opposite spectrums in regards to the game of what they were feeling....shitty, physics, bad ffb, track grips vary too much and same with the cars etc. etc.

I'll be honest, I've had moments of brilliance, followed by many WTF is wrong with the ffb and physics. I can't feel crap, mushy or any detail and usually quit to go screw with my ffb settings.

Today I was browsing through there forum looking for the magical cure to bring out the potential I've felt a few times when I came across a thread named "Tire Temps" that had 1 response with a link.
That link containedwhat I felt was the magical cure and transformed my meh rating to holy **** this game is way more sophisticated than I ever gave it credit, and completely changed the entire ffb and physics and threw the many WTF moments right out the window.

Here's the link, the important part is a few responses down by F1racer64 who linked Pirellis, Michelin and Hankook racing tire info containing what tires to run during certain temps, optimal temps as well as suggested chamber. I can't remember if the in-game tire brands are officially sponsored or based off them? but they were damn spot on!!

I choose the Audi R8 at Long Beach a track I've had issues with grip and feel, followed the info and headed out on the track. It started out the typical slippery no feel I'd come accustomed too, then with each lap I started getting more and more feedback and response from the ffb and the car, when I finally hit the optimal temp for that tire I was left grinning from ear to ear for nearly 2 hrs just lapping.

Here's the Link for those who want to read it
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/car-behavior-and-tire-temps-after-patch-2-0.361962/

For the lazy :) ill post the tire brand info here and give you a quick run down which was a quick copy & paste from F1racer

EDIT: Youll have to dl the tire info from the link as its too large for this form?
My tips:
I always thought green was the optimal temp colour for your tires and brakes....its actually a yellowy green you want.
Soft compounds are for cooler temp races
Hard compounds for hotter

The goal should be to achieve 32 PSI in every track condition. This means your cool (ambient) temp pressures set in tuning setup need to be HIGHER than your warm (ambient) temp pressures. Remember that the pressure being set in the tuning setup is your COLD pressure, whereas the target is 32 PSI (2.2 BAR) at HOT pressure state. Cooler ambient temps means less heat generated, so the starting pressure needs to be higher to begin with (closer to 32PSI).

Using the above guidelines, I have achieved consistent 150F - 175F temps in all conditions. Note that Pirelli states that "Racing tires work best at high temperatures (122° - 176° Fahrenheit)". In my testing, this has been exactly correct and has been where I have found the most grip.

For me, it completely changed how I looked at the game, the tire model and having to manage them while planning your strategy for the changing track conditions and weather has added so many aspects to my sim racing that I have not been able to experience to date in any title other than RF2.
Personally, I feel the live track 3.0 is even more advanced with the pooling water, snow, mud, ice and debris brought on track features.

I have a few questions for @Ian Bell if the info above is correct, why the hell didn't you use this info to highlight the tire model in your pre launch promos or pinned in your forums? :)

As a suggestion would it not be beneficial to raise the stock tunes PSI a few clicks so that the tires reach there optimal operating temps slightly quicker so it can highlight how good the game feels rather than struggling for several laps with lackluster ffb and response from the car.
The avg racer is never gonna figure it out and instantly give up or bash the game for poor physics and ffb. Once that tire starts reaching its optimal temps its feels amazing :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Cheers
David

Last edited:
for me ....just adjust that ai to fight more with eachother and possibly balance the ai speed across tracks. and of course the wet weather ai issues that every wet race sim has *yep rf2 does have pretty much the same wet issues!. and for me the rest is good as is!

I have been doing some racing at Brno, early morning in June with these beautiful cars and the Nissan is my favourite. They sound lovely and they are brilliant to drive. This sim grows on me the more I play it.
With the tyre temps set and the FFB just as I like it this is sublime.
z8eGFIb.jpg

EAFDvMT.jpg

9fhp8J6.jpg

JayXEcf.jpg

nazIlZg.jpg

E3nL6Y9.jpg

with my 65" TV 4k LG, it looks awfull :)

AI, tire smoke bug, multiplayer issues and the FFB are the gating items for me. I have a DD wheel and I still find it challenging to get the FFB right. I don't know that it's bad as much as it is different. I think the tire model is good, but the FFB portion still needs a tweak in my opinion.

My biggest concern is the slow release of patches and the dwindling user numbers. The steam charts show the story of how this sim has started to fall off the map. I hope that they bring something out soon, because it's starting to feel like this game isn't receiving much attention.

AI, tire smoke bug, multiplayer issues and the FFB are the gating items for me. I have a DD wheel and I still find it challenging to get the FFB right. I don't know that it's bad as much as it is different. I think the tire model is good, but the FFB portion still needs a tweak in my opinion.

My biggest concern is the slow release of patches and the dwindling user numbers. The steam charts show the story of how this sim has started to fall off the map. I hope that they bring something out soon, because it's starting to feel like this game isn't receiving much attention.

hope is when it's desesperated :)
you have many other games better :) (in fact all :) )

I'm confused about why some people seem to see what appears to be a big difference in performance depending on what they set their starting tire pressures to, but I'm not. Using OP's example of the Audi R8 at Long Beach, in my testing it seems that regardless of whether I aim for hot tire pressures of 32 PSI as recommended by F1Racer68 or more like 23-26 PSI as suggested by Casey Ringley, my lap times don't vary by more than about a half second, nor do I feel any noticeable difference in handling or FFB.

Of course, this could simply be due to my lack of skill as a driver, but after about a half hour of time trials tonight I'm at #49 on the leaderboard for this car/track combo, so I don't think I'm so bad that it's masking the effect that changes in tire pressure should be showing.

Any ideas, anyone? I was expecting to see some kind of shocking difference in performance, handling and FFB when I went between these two ranges of tire pressure.

I'm confused about why some people seem to see what appears to be a big difference in performance depending on what they set their starting tire pressures to, but I'm not. Using OP's example of the Audi R8 at Long Beach, in my testing it seems that regardless of whether I aim for hot tire pressures of 32 PSI as recommended by F1Racer68 or more like 23-26 PSI as suggested by Casey Ringley, my lap times don't vary by more than about a half second, nor do I feel any noticeable difference in handling or FFB.

Of course, this could simply be due to my lack of skill as a driver, but after about a half hour of time trials tonight I'm at #49 on the leaderboard for this car/track combo, so I don't think I'm so bad that it's masking the effect that changes in tire pressure should be showing.

Any ideas, anyone? I was expecting to see some kind of shocking difference in performance, handling and FFB when I went between these two ranges of tire pressure.

Things have been tweaked in the last 2 patches since this thread was started. Go with the pressures that Casey has suggested as guide line.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 85 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 62 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 41 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 13.9%