G29 or T300RS GT for Sim Racing 'Test' Setup?

Hey yall...

I have been bitten by the bug of doing sim racing for the last 3 months, and it has been a hoot figuring out exactly what computer to upgrade to, what VR headset to get, and what sim racing gear to get. Note that i was not aware that sim racing (or VR) had advanced so much until about 3 months ago, and i have never sim-raced before, nor have i used VR before in any way.

So, after months of research and asking questions, i had settled on the following setup:

i7-10700k OC'ed to 5.0
2080 Super
16GB DDR4
Valve Index headset
P1-X cockpit
Accuforce V2 wheel
Fanatec V3 pedals (or maybe HE Sprints)
Fanatec H pattern shifter

Pretty nice entry level setup! See my post about this build here:

However, Ted Brosby pointed out the idea of getting some inexpensive sim racing gear as a test first before plunging fully into a really nice setup with the P1-X, etc.

So, i have decided that i want to start off the sim racing gear with something inexpensive and super simple to use just for a few months to prove the following to myself:

1) I like sim racing as much as i think i will
2) I can handle sim racing in a VR headset (note that i am prone to motion sickness and concerned that i may not be able to get my 'vr legs')

I have gone ahead and gotten the computer, and am 2 weeks into the Index 2 month wait time, so will get those things for sure.

For my 'test' sim racing setup, i want something VERY simple to setup and use, and will be using it bolted to my computer desk and with the pedals under the computer desk supported by a board against the wall. I do not want to get any kind of cockpit or wheel stand for this test setup, so it needs to be easy to bolt to the desk and use the pedals under the desk. No matter what, i only plan on using this test setup for a few months, then selling it.

I have zeroed in on one of the following two 'test setups':

G29 for $310
T300RS GT with T3PA pedals for $400

Note that i plan on getting a good pedal mod (especially brake) for whichever pedal set i get (G29 or T3PA pedals).

The questions are:

1) Which setup (G29 or T300) should i get to do this few months test to prove that i really do like sim racing and can handle VR sim racing?
2) What is the best not too expensive pedal mod for the setup you recommend (G29 or T300)?

If i use the G29 or T300 for a few months and DO find that i like sim racing as much as i think i will, and CAN use VR in sim racing, then i will quickly order the P1-X, Accuforce V2, and Fanatec V3s and shifter, and then as soon as that is setup, i will sell the G29/T300 for a 25% or so loss.

If i use the G29/T300 for a few months and find i do NOT like sim racing as much as i thought i would, i just sell the G29/T300 for a 25% loss ($75-100) and there is very little financial pain.

If i like sim racing a lot and love VR but find that no matter how much i try, i am still having trouble getting VR motion sick, then i will either order the full setup (i.e. P1-X, Accuforce, etc) with a single monitor instead of VR, OR will order the full setup and also order the NLR motion platform to see if the NLR motion platform takes away my VR sickness (i have heard many people say that the motion platform eliminated any VR sickness in sim racing).

What do yall think?

Thanks!
Randy
:)

I started with a G29. Loved it. But I wish I had started with the T300RS since you can buy an F1 wheel for it and Thrustmaster sells load cell pedals. Plus it’s belt driven so you’ll get more details and better force feedback.

Upvote 0
I started with a G29. Loved it. But I wish I had started with the T300RS since you can buy an F1 wheel for it and Thrustmaster sells load cell pedals. Plus it’s belt driven so you’ll get more details and better force feedback.

Everything i have read says that the T300RS is a better setup as regards force feedback and smoothness, and if you get the T300RS GT package, that comes with the better T3PA pedal set.

I don't want to mess with something like adding a load cell to the T3PAs (or the G29 if i got that) since i will be selling them quickly after this initial test, but do want a simple inexpensive pedal/brake mod for whatever set of beginner pedals i use at first for this test. What is the best cheap and simple pedal/brake mod for the T3PAs?

Will the T300RS wheel be able to mount easily to a desktop? Was thinking the G29 might be easier to use when just using it on the desktop. I will be having to clamp it on when playing racing sims and then take it off when i play something else or do something else on the computer. So, i will be putting the wheel on and taking it off the desktop every time i use it (yes, i know it is a pain without a cockpit or wheel stand, but it will be a very short term solution while i test out sim racing and VR, so can live with that for a few months).

Upvote 0
I recently got a T300 RS with T3PA pedals to replace my G29. In the UK you could typically get the G29 for half the price of the Thrustmaster and so I would normally recommend the G29 to newcomers. However your prices are much closer and so in this instance I would recommend the Thrustmaster.

The G29 has a lot going for it IMO. It has a much better reputation for reliability. It has a nice real leather rim. The T300 RS has a rubberized rim with small holes at the back. The G29 desk clamp is a bit better than the TM. The G29 pedals are all metal (the T3PA has plastic pedal arms) the pedal base is heavier and has a carpet grip. In terms of noise they both have minor issues - the G29 can rattle in some circumstances and the T300 has a fan which comes on when it gets warm.

The G29 does an acceptable job when it comes to FFB, but with the exception of "sharp" feedback such as over kerbs, the T300 is definitely better. It can produce more force and so this helps it communicate the more subtle variations in FFB due to grip/slip. The belt drive is also better at communicating FFB around the straight ahead. This is why I would recommend the T300 at the prices you've been offered.

Upvote 0
Thanks yall.

I think i will go with the T300RS GT package for $400, clamp it to the desk and put the pedals under the desk backstopped by a piece of wood or something to keep it the pedals from sliding. Will not be ideal at all, but it will be plenty to get me an intro to sim racing and also to VR in sim racing so that i can make the decision whether to take the next step i want to take and get the P1-X, Accuforce, etc

Upvote 0
T300 all the way, fast, precise and wheel addons
About VR, search for Lenovo or similar, second hand may be 100-150$. But not all ppl can tolerate VR so if you can try PSVR in a friends home, or buy it, its the easy way to test yor VR legs

Upvote 0
I have ordered my first sim racing wheel! The T300RS GT is on the way from Amazon, with the standard T3PA pedal set. Cool.

So, i do want to do some inexpensive upgrades to the pedals to make them as good as non-LC pedals could be, and am thinking of doing the following two things.

The universal conical brake mod from BBJ SimRacing, and the upgraded throttle spring from Rimotech.

Yes, it will cost me a tad more, but i think they will probably upgrade the pedals a good bit, and i can get more money for them when i sell them, so little loss to upgrade the pedals

Good mods? Any other ideas? Note that i don't mind spending a little more money if it helps the pedal feel, especially the brake

Upvote 0
I bought a t300 alcantara and got rid within a week and replaced with a reliable G29.
First issue was the pedal connector simply refused to click into its housing on the base, a bit of blutac worked but not ideal.
Worst of all while mounting to my stand the housing of the base for bolts shattered with little pressure and bits went into the base.
On top of that having to turn on a fan while using did not inspire confidence.
Ill be honest there isnt much difference between it and G29 FFB despite what some claim both are entry level.
The t3pa pro pedals are nice however.

Upvote 0
On the other hand i am using my t300 Alcantara since january with no problem what so ever.
( except from user faults like "learning to game with a pc and find out how to map wheel buttons and so on":rolleyes:)

Mostly i use the Thrustmaster F1AddOn, because i like the "fidelity" of the FFB most.
The Alcantara Ferrari wheel and a dished OMP with 3d printed adapter are much heavier.

I have it mounted to a diy aluminium extrusion rig almost from day1.

On the included t3pa pedals i can´t comment because i found a "builders kit" of used T3PA pro pedals
with ricmotech loadcell which since then i have heavily modified because they felt "dead" out of the box.

I personally wouldn´t invest to much money in a solution with "expiration date"

If your not satisfied with the pedals you are not bound to Thrustmaster, your PC can work with almost every mid/high end pedalset on the market.
So if you like it and want to go further the better pedals can be used with every highend wheel.

You should also be aware that a heavy brakepedal needs some kind of mounting solution and a rigid seat.
So better leave that to the aluminium rig.

And if you can´t stomach VR try to use an triple monitor setup for testing, its bigger difference to single monitor than you think.

good luck and success

carsten

Upvote 0
On the other hand i am using my t300 Alcantara since january with no problem what so ever.
( except from user faults like "learning to game with a pc and find out how to map wheel buttons and so on":rolleyes:)

Mostly i use the Thrustmaster F1AddOn, because i like the "fidelity" of the FFB most.
The Alcantara Ferrari wheel and a dished OMP with 3d printed adapter are much heavier.

I have it mounted to a diy aluminium extrusion rig almost from day1.

On the included t3pa pedals i can´t comment because i found a "builders kit" of used T3PA pro pedals
with ricmotech loadcell which since then i have heavily modified because they felt "dead" out of the box.

I personally wouldn´t invest to much money in a solution with "expiration date"

If your not satisfied with the pedals you are not bound to Thrustmaster, your PC can work with almost every mid/high end pedalset on the market.
So if you like it and want to go further the better pedals can be used with every highend wheel.

You should also be aware that a heavy brakepedal needs some kind of mounting solution and a rigid seat.
So better leave that to the aluminium rig.

And if you can´t stomach VR try to use an triple monitor setup for testing, its bigger difference to single monitor than you think.

good luck and success

carsten

Won't get any upgrades to the T3PA pedals if i can help it since i am just using them temporarily

Will for sure wait on serious V3 or HE pedals as i will not have any kind of cockpit or even a wheel stand for this test period using the T300RS, so will have to live with the T3PAs

No room for a triple monitor setup, so it is VR or single screen for me, really want to do it in VR though, that sounds very neat.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 148 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing