G29 FFB for Assetto Corsa. Am I doing this right?

Hello there. Here's another post about FFB settings...

I've followed this guide [ https://www.reddit.com/r/assettocorsa/comments/5l64g8/this_is_how_the_ffb_worksand_how_to_set_it_up/ ] and this is how my FFB settings look like [ https://i.imgur.com/02Gl9jm.png ].
I've also set up a LUT and I'm using FFBClip dynamic mode.

The wheel is still clipping on high speed corners and on big bumps, but I guess there's nothing to do about that. My real concern is road feel: I'm getting almost no texture feedback from the track, even though I have Road Effects on 1% (which I hear is already high enough).

What should I do? Turn road effects higher and risk more clipping? Use FFClip manual mode and lower the gain even further? Sell kidney and buy a direct drive wheel? Thanks in advance!

Hello there. Here's another post about FFB settings...

I've followed this guide [ https://www.reddit.com/r/assettocorsa/comments/5l64g8/this_is_how_the_ffb_worksand_how_to_set_it_up/ ] and this is how my FFB settings look like [ https://i.imgur.com/02Gl9jm.png ].
I've also set up a LUT and I'm using FFBClip dynamic mode.

The wheel is still clipping on high speed corners and on big bumps, but I guess there's nothing to do about that. My real concern is road feel: I'm getting almost no texture feedback from the track, even though I have Road Effects on 1% (which I hear is already high enough).

What should I do? Turn road effects higher and risk more clipping? Use FFClip manual mode and lower the gain even further? Sell kidney and buy a direct drive wheel? Thanks in advance!
Kidney + direct drive is probably the best solution but I'm at least more or less happy with my g27 and I think my settings made a few g29 owners happy too :)
First answering your questions:
- 1% is not noticeable on a logitech wheel. Feel free to put it up to 10% until you feel something. This is only some generic vibration though, depending on the surface you're driving. Bumps etc on the road will be true physics ffb.
- ffb clip in dynamic mode is some awesome algorithm but honestly I can't recommend it. While it feels really nice, you lose almost completely the consistency of the ffb!
- lut: while I use a lut too, it's probably absolutely not something like the one you're using right now. You probably have one from the web or from the lut generator?
Again, awesome algorithm! But the result is getting rid of the ffb the logitech engineers built for us to make it feel nice.
Or in other words: you probably lost the first 30% of any force feedback. Which is why you probably don't feel anything from the surface.

- clipping: some clipping is needed with logitech wheels! But there is "good and okay" clipping and bad clipping. Just like when you're mastering or mixing audio you have compressors, limiters, maximizer etc etc and without them it would just sound like garbage while in fact they are "killing details".
However putting the microphone gain way to high, making the sound level even but the voice completely distorted is not the right way.

Now my recommendation:
Click on my profile, go to downloads, click on the lut guide for logitech wheels, follow the guide and give me a shout when you need help with anything :)
If you hate it I'll happily help you to try different stuff of course.

Upvote 0
Kidney + direct drive is probably the best solution but I'm at least more or less happy with my g27 and I think my settings made a few g29 owners happy too :)
First answering your questions:
- 1% is not noticeable on a logitech wheel. Feel free to put it up to 10% until you feel something. This is only some generic vibration though, depending on the surface you're driving. Bumps etc on the road will be true physics ffb.
- ffb clip in dynamic mode is some awesome algorithm but honestly I can't recommend it. While it feels really nice, you lose almost completely the consistency of the ffb!
- lut: while I use a lut too, it's probably absolutely not something like the one you're using right now. You probably have one from the web or from the lut generator?
Again, awesome algorithm! But the result is getting rid of the ffb the logitech engineers built for us to make it feel nice.
Or in other words: you probably lost the first 30% of any force feedback. Which is why you probably don't feel anything from the surface.

- clipping: some clipping is needed with logitech wheels! But there is "good and okay" clipping and bad clipping. Just like when you're mastering or mixing audio you have compressors, limiters, maximizer etc etc and without them it would just sound like garbage while in fact they are "killing details".
However putting the microphone gain way to high, making the sound level even but the voice completely distorted is not the right way.

Now my recommendation:
Click on my profile, go to downloads, click on the lut guide for logitech wheels, follow the guide and give me a shout when you need help with anything :)
If you hate it I'll happily help you to try different stuff of course.
Thanks for the response!

I just finished setting up according to your LUT guide, but I still have one problem:

[GAMMA]
VALUE=0.5

This line in ff_post_process.ini keeps getting altered to 0.5 when I open Content Manager, and I can't find this setting in it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response!

I just finished setting up according to your LUT guide, but I still have one problem:

[GAMMA]
VALUE=0.5

This line in ff_post_process.ini keeps getting altered to 0.5 when I open Content Manager, and I can't find this setting in it.
Cool!
Two things about that:
1. Content Manager does some weird 'caching' with settings. For example: you select a different LUT than usual, start a race, don't feel a difference. Close the race, look into Content Manager -> the old LUT is back!
To stop this from happening:
- open the ff_post_process.ini and set everything like you need.
- Then don't use Content Manager but instead use the normal launcher and start a race. Doesn't matter what type of race, practice, qualy, whatever.
- close the session, close the launcher, start Content manager again and the settings should be correct.

2. It shouldn't matter at all. the value below [GAMMA] is only active when TYPE is GAMMA too. Since your TYPE is LUT, the Gamma-Value is deactivated. At least that's what I think... Not 100% sure about it.

Upvote 0
Cool!
Two things about that:
1. Content Manager does some weird 'caching' with settings. For example: you select a different LUT than usual, start a race, don't feel a difference. Close the race, look into Content Manager -> the old LUT is back!
To stop this from happening:
- open the ff_post_process.ini and set everything like you need.
- Then don't use Content Manager but instead use the normal launcher and start a race. Doesn't matter what type of race, practice, qualy, whatever.
- close the session, close the launcher, start Content manager again and the settings should be correct.

2. It shouldn't matter at all. the value below [GAMMA] is only active when TYPE is GAMMA too. Since your TYPE is LUT, the Gamma-Value is deactivated. At least that's what I think... Not 100% sure about it.
That is fixed!

I'm also having a steering lock problem. I can't get my wheel to match the virtual one.
Logitech Software is set to 900º, in game too. I also checked the Auto-adjust scale option but it's still different.

Upvote 0
That is fixed!

I'm also having a steering lock problem. I can't get my wheel to match the virtual one.
Logitech Software is set to 900º, in game too. I also checked the Auto-adjust scale option but it's still different.
I know what you mean!
You can try my settings. I played around until it "feels" like it's matching. The problem is perspectives here. So you can decide if you want the "degrees in sync over the full 900°" oder if you want have the normal steering movements look synced.

I always choose the second one.

Here are my settings :) (left foot braking with the clutch pedal, swapped the springs, ignore that...)
upload_2018-7-16_16-6-32.png

upload_2018-7-16_16-7-32.png

Upvote 0
I know what you mean!
You can try my settings. I played around until it "feels" like it's matching. The problem is perspectives here. So you can decide if you want the "degrees in sync over the full 900°" oder if you want have the normal steering movements look synced.

I always choose the second one.

Here are my settings :) (left foot braking with the clutch pedal, swapped the springs, ignore that...)
View attachment 260246

View attachment 260247
So even with those settings the virtual wheel should look desynced? I'll probably just hide it so it doesn't confuse me =p

Upvote 0
So even with those settings the virtual wheel should look desynced? I'll probably just hide it so it doesn't confuse me =p
Well, how much desynced does it look? For me it's not visible for the first 90° in both directions. After that it starts to slightly desync but when you need to switch positions of hands you aren't really bothered by a few degrees of difference.

If it's more than that, so really desynced I'd say there's something wrong...

Upvote 0
So you had to go down to 460° to make it match? Sounds like half the rotation...
What happens when you uncheck the "Auto adjust"? I have it unchecked.

The problem with your setting is that when you set Assetto Corsa to 460° and the Logitech driver to 900° not only the rotation will be different but also the Force Feedback!
And a different Force Feedback then leads to my LUT feeling like garbage. 50° difference between the driver and the game are okay but almost 450° difference is way too much.
Something is wrong there.. Did you check the virtual steering wheel setting?
Other than the 'real' wheel settings, the virtual setting in the View & UI area has no influence on the Force Feedback.
Try to put the virtual wheel setting to 450°, which is the maximum. For some reason THAT slider is like "2x 450°, to each side 450°".

Upvote 0
So you had to go down to 460° to make it match? Sounds like half the rotation...
What happens when you uncheck the "Auto adjust"? I have it unchecked.

The problem with your setting is that when you set Assetto Corsa to 460° and the Logitech driver to 900° not only the rotation will be different but also the Force Feedback!
And a different Force Feedback then leads to my LUT feeling like garbage. 50° difference between the driver and the game are okay but almost 450° difference is way too much.
Something is wrong there.. Did you check the virtual steering wheel setting?
Other than the 'real' wheel settings, the virtual setting in the View & UI area has no influence on the Force Feedback.
Try to put the virtual wheel setting to 450°, which is the maximum. For some reason THAT slider is like "2x 450°, to each side 450°".
It doesn't matter if auto adjust is on, or if the virtual wheel setting is off or 450. I always get 900 degrees of rotation in-game. And of course it never syncs. This is frustrating hahaha

Upvote 0
Updated Logitech driver, set it to 900º and checked the option to let games make changes to the FFB settings.
'Auto-adjust to scale' and 'steering wheel limit' are both off.

Result: 900º rotation in game and unsynced 911 GT3 Cup virtual wheel.

Upvote 0
Updated Logitech driver, set it to 900º and checked the option to let games make changes to the FFB settings.
'Auto-adjust to scale' and 'steering wheel limit' are both off.

Result: 900º rotation in game and unsynced 911 GT3 Cup virtual wheel.
Could you Screenshot all screens in the logitech driver that are wheel related? (not mouse for example)
There really is something strange going on..
As said, a little is normal but with 880 it should be really well synced.
Maybe check the ini settings again in notepad or similar and try the standard assetto launcher instead of content manager right after it?

Upvote 0
Could you Screenshot all screens in the logitech driver that are wheel related? (not mouse for example)
There really is something strange going on..
As said, a little is normal but with 880 it should be really well synced.
Maybe check the ini settings again in notepad or similar and try the standard assetto launcher instead of content manager right after it?
Thanks for the continued support. I'll send you those screenshots when I get home tonight.

Upvote 0
Fixed it! The problem was the sensitivity in the logitech driver. It has to be 50%.

Sorry for taking your time with this xD And thanks a lot for the help. Hope we see each other on the track sometime.

o7
Haha no problem man! Glad it's fixed now. Told you there's something wrong :p
Are you happy with the settings though? If not tell me what you'd wish for to be differently and I'll see if I can help :)

I know it was just a saying but if you really want to see me on track: get Premium and join our club events! I'm hosting some of them :D
(although from Brazil the US events with Bobby might suit you better, timezone wise...)

Upvote 0
Haha no problem man! Glad it's fixed now. Told you there's something wrong :p
Are you happy with the settings though? If not tell me what you'd wish for to be differently and I'll see if I can help :)

I know it was just a saying but if you really want to see me on track: get Premium and join our club events! I'm hosting some of them :D
(although from Brazil the US events with Bobby might suit you better, timezone wise...)
It certainly feels like the best FFB setting I've ever tested, so I'm not really certain what should or shouldn't be changed. I'm also still pretty new in Sim Racing, so not much experience to draw upon.
I'm still fast with the 911 GT3 Cup though! And consistent. Next week race should be fun.

I'll check out the premium events, looks like there are multiple races a day. Very nice!

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years