G27 "update" to t500rs

Rami

#20 FinnTeam
Hi all of you who are thinking of update from your G27.
I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but since AC is the game of choice for me, so here goes.

I had a G27 for what I was pretty happy with. After a while I wanted to know what it would be with a different wheel. As some of you know, I really am not the fastest guy around, but not the slowest kind neither. So these are my opinions only, feel free to post yours if you have done the similar decision :)

I have to say, that t500 is really not a bad wheel, but it really isn't a better wheel than G27. If you are looking for immersion, then I'd say go for this t500. It really feels much more like real car for me. But when it comes to details what is happening in your sim car, the feel is kind of dull and numb. In G27 I was able to feel understeer instantly it was going to happen, in this t500 I'm not. It really didn't make me slower, but not faster neither, talking about cars I'm familiar already. I think now it's more difficult for me to learn a new car and it's habits, and the way it likes to be driven. And as for me, I think it's more important in sim wheel to feel what the car is doing, than the feeling that you're in real car. If you have that immerse feeling, what good does it do if you lose time for that lap after lap. I really prefer to have "too much" info though the wheel, than too little. In real car you get a feel for what is happening from various other sensations than wheel.

This all could be a matter of setting up the wheel, but on that, I have tested multiple settings from here and other sites. It has given some more feel to it, but not that same level of details than G27. So now I'm whipping myself not to save money for fanatec, which I think would really have made a difference in feeling those details. For what is actually better I'd say is the pedals. There are several ways to set these up for your liking, and the progressive feel is something that really can help you with braking.

Now, I hope you will not lynch me for this writing. But I really don't feel that this set is that much better relative to price than G27. So if you are looking for something better, I'd say go for way beyond this price range to avoid disappointment I had :)

Tip: download and run the T500_configuration_manager. Awesome tool to setup your wheel for various games.

Hi Bram.
Thanks for pointing to this neat little tool. But can you tell me something? When I save a config and enable it, I check the Thrustmaster Control panel to see if it has worked but I notice nothing has changed on that. Does your TM control panel mirror the changes?
Cheers
Andy

While we are on the topic, I would like to ask if someone upgraded to a Fanatec CSW and how much of a difference that was compared to a G27 or T500. I am asking just about the wheel, not the CSW pedals... thanks

I recently upgraded my G27 to a CSW a few weeks ago and it's great. Was considering the T300 too but the useless 2 pedal set included with it and the excessive use of plastic and fake switches on the fairly pricey add-on wheel rims were a major turnoff. I'm also not a fan of all those Playstation buttons on a wheel that would never be plugged into a Playstation.

Anyways, comparing the CSW to the G27, there really is no comparison. Except price point, the CSW is better in every way, IMO. The weight and heft of the wheel in your hands is much more substantial, I love the metal/carbon fiber construction and alcantara grips. The FFB is night and day better and more convincing with higher resolution and strength, and much smoother (and quieter) delivery than the G27 gear grindfest. No deadzone, unlike the 15-20 degrees on the G27. Plus a lot more setup options to get the FFB dialed in just right to your personal tastes.

Is the 5x difference in price worth it for the improvements I described? Maybe, maybe not. I find the increased immersion and improved sensation of a beefier wheel in my hands to be worth it to me, so I'm happy with the upgrade. I consider the upgrade to be analogous to upgrading from say a Honda Civic to a mid range Mercedes-Benz. Sure, it isn't the high end AMG model like a direct-drive servo wheel would be comparable to, but the upgrade certainly feels and looks substantial. Both vehicles (and wheels) serve the same purpose, one just does it with more style and comfort.

I paired the CSW with the TH8A shifter and T3PA standalone pedals using the Bodnar cable. Great combination, but it has taken a while to get used to it and find the pace I used to have with the G27 gear. New equipment may make some people faster but not in my case. :whistling:

Hopefully you can find this feedback helpful.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%