G27 "update" to t500rs

Rami

#20 FinnTeam
Hi all of you who are thinking of update from your G27.
I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but since AC is the game of choice for me, so here goes.

I had a G27 for what I was pretty happy with. After a while I wanted to know what it would be with a different wheel. As some of you know, I really am not the fastest guy around, but not the slowest kind neither. So these are my opinions only, feel free to post yours if you have done the similar decision :)

I have to say, that t500 is really not a bad wheel, but it really isn't a better wheel than G27. If you are looking for immersion, then I'd say go for this t500. It really feels much more like real car for me. But when it comes to details what is happening in your sim car, the feel is kind of dull and numb. In G27 I was able to feel understeer instantly it was going to happen, in this t500 I'm not. It really didn't make me slower, but not faster neither, talking about cars I'm familiar already. I think now it's more difficult for me to learn a new car and it's habits, and the way it likes to be driven. And as for me, I think it's more important in sim wheel to feel what the car is doing, than the feeling that you're in real car. If you have that immerse feeling, what good does it do if you lose time for that lap after lap. I really prefer to have "too much" info though the wheel, than too little. In real car you get a feel for what is happening from various other sensations than wheel.

This all could be a matter of setting up the wheel, but on that, I have tested multiple settings from here and other sites. It has given some more feel to it, but not that same level of details than G27. So now I'm whipping myself not to save money for fanatec, which I think would really have made a difference in feeling those details. For what is actually better I'd say is the pedals. There are several ways to set these up for your liking, and the progressive feel is something that really can help you with braking.

Now, I hope you will not lynch me for this writing. But I really don't feel that this set is that much better relative to price than G27. So if you are looking for something better, I'd say go for way beyond this price range to avoid disappointment I had :)

thank you for your review, I was one of those thinking to switch to ts500, now not so sure ... maybe better to try to find better G27 settings before ... btw which settings do you use for G27 ? i like openwheels

Give it time Rami, I´m sure the new wheel will grow on you. Also very good that you aren´t any faster, you are already alien enough :D

I recently updated to a T300GTE from a G27 and I was initially very disappointed. But now, with more driving and better settings, I really have begun to appreciate the improved speed and responsiveness of the new wheel. No need to spin the wheel faster than it does by itself to catch a slide and no deadzones either.

But yeah, the T300 is not as sharp, IE the initial FFB in sudden direction changes or on kerbs is not as strong, and also the overall strength of the forces is only maybe 120% of what the G27 gave me. Totally scientific assumptions based only on the feel in my hands of course :)

The new wheel did not make me faster, but it did make me more precise and consistent. And drifting is now just a joy, which it never was with the G27. So all in all I am very happy. RFactor 2 on the other hand is now a completely different game to me. It now feels almost as good as AC :sneaky:

A bit OT, but a caveat while on the subject of wheels: I owned a G27 and traded it for a G920. If anyone is considering this (or a G29), think again. Neither of these new & expensive Logitech wheels works properly with AC - or, for that matter, with any PC game. There is nothing similar to the Profiler and apparently those wheels are recognized as a generic joystick by Windows due to the lack of a proper driver. The issue is being raised at least since September at the Logitech forum and so far there is no solution in sight.

@aleph there is a setting for your g290 wheel to change in the game file settings. Open assetto_corsa.ini C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg and you'll see there a line about the G290 and what to change.

Give it time Rami, I´m sure the new wheel will grow on you. Also very good that you aren´t any faster, you are already alien enough :D

Yeah, I'm used to it by now. But still think it's not worth that extra money vs G27. Do not know of alien, but not fast enough by far :roflmao:

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention on starting post, beware of those USB3 ports with these wheels, they can mess your FFB totally! Sure almost all know of it, but I made the mistake of using it for a long time. Stupid me :roflmao:

@aleph there is a setting for your g290 wheel to change in the game file settings. Open assetto_corsa.ini C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg and you'll see there a line about the G290 and what to change.

Thanks for the hint, Radu Oros, I'll try that when I reconnect my G920 (I got so annoyed with the lack of support from Logitech that I shelved both the G920 and Forza 6 a while ago and bought a second-hand G27 to keep playing in the PC until a solution is found). Nevertheless, I must point out that the wheel really is not recognized properly by Windows and people are being forced to use workarounds to circumvent this obvious flaw - as it seems to be the case with the "Damper Gain" .ini tweak in AC. Logitech has covered its legal flank on this matter by stating that the G920 and the G29 work with "selected PC games", which obviously are not listed. For instance, neither wheel works with rFactor 2.

Rami, so you're suggesting I should keep my G25 connected to a USB 2.0? Why :)

Someone who is more wise than me should possibly answer this, but...
It apparently is on some cases causing some kind of issues with wheels. Or what I've read it could be fault of some usb3 controller chips. After that everything wen't into jibberish, meaning didn't understand a word since on that article :roflmao:
And it's not always the case, some work, some don't. Mine didn't :laugh:

it seems true for usb 3.0, i read very often about not working gamepad and flight sim controllers (joysticks, pedals etc). I only use usb 2.0 for those devices ... anyway, if you have problems, try using a usb 2.0 :)

it seems true for usb 3.0, i read very often about not working gamepad and flight sim controllers (joysticks, pedals etc). I only use usb 2.0 for those devices ... anyway, if you have problems, try using a usb 2.0 :)
I didn't even realise I had a problem before I tried usb2... :roflmao:

I recently upgraded to a t300 after using a DFGT for years; I knew after spending an hour or so dialing it in that I would never be able to go back to the DFGT again. Recovering from powerslides is as natural as can be, and the overall smoothness improves the immersion factor several times over. The smoothness carries over to making bumps and curbs feel so much more realistic, instead of the way the DFGT made them feel 'notchy'. (which I never noticed before using the t300)
Even though the T300 is plenty strong enough to simulate a car with no power steering, I'm sure that somebody that is actually trying to use a sim as a trainer would want something with more power.

I am not one bit faster or slower with my new wheel, but I end up backwards considerably less since now I can simply release the wheel and let it spin instead of having to force it along.

Can't wait to mod my T300 with a couple of real wheels along with the killer F1 style rim available for it.
------------------------------------
My buddy just upgraded from a DFGT to a G29 and absolutely loves it.

The T300 is a nice wheel,and that f1 add on is fantastic.But mine went kaput,and I have a G27 now.Its noisier and not as smooth,but I don't think it's worth spending extra to upgrade to the thrustmasters.I think it would be better to keep putting money away until you have enough to buy a real expensive wheel.

I didn't think the G27 I tried was that much of an upgrade over my DFGT; this T300 is a night and day difference to me. If you didn't feel it was that much better than a G27 then we must experience things differently. Even buying mine used, it was still plenty expensive for me, so I highly doubt I will ever spend even more or something else.

And I am not a real driver that is using my rig to train with, so I can't imagine ever needing a real expensive wheel such as a direct drive. (I will buy one just for kicks if I ever win the lottery though!)

Personally I would never get a Thrusmaster wheel just because of the terrible loud fan sound after you drove only for 30 minutes or so.
G27/29 are the only choices for me.
I have been using a G25/G27 with a lot of pleasure for the last 10 years until the G27 pedals gave up on me last June. Saved up money for the T500RS and bought a new one last December.

The fan is the least of my concerns. Doesn't bother me at all. What did bother me with the G27 was it's nuts feedback with newer sims. It literally woke up the neighbors sometimes when racing late. With the T500RS all these issues are gone as it's smooth as silk.

Only thing I can't get used to yet are the static floppy pedals which aren't in my preferred position but I am sure ill find a solution for it.

Overall: a lot more expensive than the G27 but it's a significant improvement for me. Excellent bang for the buck with a top notch wheel and very decent and accurate pedals.

Tip: download and run the T500_configuration_manager. Awesome tool to setup your wheel for various games.

If you can't get used to the fixed paddles, you will just have to buy yourself a 599XXX Alcantara rim.

I find the fixed paddles excellent for road cars and anything which isn't crazy fast with too many gears (e.g. formula cars). Rally is particularly easy with fixed paddles.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 246 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%