g25 max. rotation & broken shifter?

Hi guys,

I'm running my g25 with 200 degrees of maximum steering rotation.

However, I have noticed in a thread that most people have theirs cranked up much more (as to 600 degrees).

My question now is how does this value affect the control one can impose on a car!? Surely I can think that far that with a lower value, I have to do less steering to reach the max steering angle of a car and vice versa :victory:

But, I have also seen video reviews of the g25 which claimed that the FFB of the g25 is not quick enough to successfully simulate a real car's behavior at 900 and even 600 degrees!

1) What is your opinion about that ?
2) What can you tell me about the choice of this value besides my enlightening knowledge :fwd:

Thanks

P.S.

Could those of you owning the G25 please do a test for me?
--> go into the settings of the G25 in windows where the wheel has a FFB effect for all of its buttons and do the following:

put the shifter in 1st gear (this action should be confirmed by the g25 setup)
Then, without moving the shifter back, push it to the right and check if the setup progr. recognizes the 3rd gear!

Cause I wanna find out if my shifter is broken (it does that what I described above) It may also just be that the entire mechanics in the shifter are so tightly arranged that this is normal !?

Hi guys,

I'm running my g25 with 200 degrees of maximum steering rotation.

However, I have noticed in a thread that most people have theirs cranked up much more (as to 600 degrees).

My question now is how does this value affect the control one can impose on a car!? Surely I can think that far that with a lower value, I have to do less steering to reach the max steering angle of a car and vice versa :victory:

But, I have also seen video reviews of the g25 which claimed that the FFB of the g25 is not quick enough to successfully simulate a real car's behavior at 900 and even 600 degrees!

1) What is your opinion about that ?
2) What can you tell me about the choice of this value besides my enlightening knowledge :fwd:

Thanks

You are right that you don't need to move the wheel so far. You are also right that FFB wheels probably can't be moved as fast as a real wheel.

The advantages of using more lock are as follows

1) the amount of steering input is more like a real car

2) you can and should increase the lock in car setup from the default (15 degrees) to the maximum 34.5 degrees. This means that with 900 degrees steering your steering isn't 4.5 times slower than with a 200 degrees lock but a more manageable 2 times slower. It also means that the game doesn't increase lock at slow speeds. This is done by default to help you get out of the pits, but must interfere with steering in slow speed corners. This isn't the same as the speed sensitivity setting - its something the game does independently of this. With maximum lock set in setup, your steering response is constant whatever your speed.

What David says is why I use a full 900º rotation on the wheel (ie the slower steering part) - I find the slower steering better for me in GTL, although I've recently dropped from full lock down to a consistent 20º lock for all cars - it forces me to use a bit more steering input, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to take for
a) keeping the front tyres in better nick by combatting excessive tyre scrub,
b) avoiding excessive oversteer issues due to overrotation
c) more confidence in the consistency of setups and steeering

Hopefully David is the same one that I always call David "Lo67" Wright in my head, a helpful stalwart from my GPL days.

He knows stuff :D :good:

I do understand the option of determining the maximum degree of rotation the wheel allows you to perform!

Is this what you guys call "lock"? So I would have set my g25 to 200°s of lock?

Or what is this lock?

And what does this have to do with the degree setting I can choose in the car setup (2ed parameter from the top, middle column)?

OK - I call rotation the max amount I can rotate my G25 steering wheel - real world movement by my arms.

I use lock as the max amount of deflection that the cars front wheels can achieve - virtual in-game front wheel movement.

So rotation pertains to how much I move my arms on the wheel in the real world, and lock is the amount that that movement affects the wheels of the car in-game.

It is slightly confusing but that's how I try to use it.

Thank you for trying out! I guess this means an impending end of my shifter :( Now that I am beginning to get the kick out of heel-toe downshifting rrrh

do you know the book "speed secrets"?
I'm reading this book right now when I have so time to spare.... really good! helps me to understand cars, their behaviour and general racing philosophies better :)

Thank you for trying out! I guess this means an impending end of my shifter :( Now that I am beginning to get the kick out of heel-toe downshifting rrrh

do you know the book "speed secrets"?
I'm reading this book right now when I have so time to spare.... really good! helps me to understand cars, their behaviour and general racing philosophies better :)

You literally just made me order a book at Amazon!
I searched it at Google, read the first lines, and was so impressed I HAD to order it!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back