Fullscreen to Windowed and viceversa.

Hi guys,

In Automobilista, how could I change from Fullscreen to Windowed mode and viceversa? Is there
a keyboard shortcut for this? Live for Speed can do it with Shift + F4...

Thanks.

There is no hotkey switch for windowed view in AMS. Simply launch AMS from Steam and choose the configuration tool.
upload_2019-7-6_18-45-6.png

From there you can choose to run windowed or not.
upload_2019-7-6_18-45-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-6_18-44-33.png
    upload_2019-7-6_18-44-33.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 516
There is no hotkey switch for windowed view in AMS. Simply launch AMS from Steam and choose the configuration tool.
View attachment 313844

From there you can choose to run windowed or not.
View attachment 313845

Thanks, Dann. That´s what I do if I want to play in windowed mode sometimes.

It´s a shame there is no keyboard shortcut to switch between modes because once in a while one may need to access the desktop to check any task or any potential problem.

This feature would be a great addition in Automobilista 2. Hope it is added.

Hmm, I have used AMS since inception. I am a league admin and I alt-tab very often. I always run the game in windowed borderless mode with no issues. The game actually runs more stable in windowed borderless as the gmotor had a tendancy to die when we would alt-tab in fullscreen mode. :)

I never tried it windowed borderless. What resolution? 1920x1080? This would use the whole desktop. I remember that on the manual it was said
that windowed mode could cause some issues -fullscreen being more stable.

I´ll try it at 1920x1080 windowed bordelress and will check if alt+tab works
with no issues.

Thanks.

Then why did you post your original question? Do you need to have AMS in a window and another app on the screen at the same time?

I didn´t know the shortcut alt+tab could work in fullscreen mode. Never occurred to me to try it. I´m used to shift+f4 in Live for Speed to switch between fullscreen and windowed modes.

And yes, sometimes I have some other tasks going on, like a TV app. I enjoy listening to some programs, news or wahatever, while driving around some car.

I didn´t know the shortcut alt+tab could work in fullscreen mode. Never occurred to me to try it. I´m used to shift+f4 in Live for Speed to switch between fullscreen and windowed modes.

And yes, sometimes I have some other tasks going on, like a TV app. I enjoy listening to some programs, news or wahatever, while driving around some car.

I'm pretty sure it (alt+tab) is less stable in full screen mode, but @Dann Murillo and others will know if this is just for online racing. I used full screen exclusively in all games and sims until Microsoft decided to not fully support graphics card functions in full screen any longer in Windows 10. Now I have to use Windowed to get the proper graphics settings I set.

The issue with borderless window (or windowed) mode is that it essentially forces triple buffered vsync, because the game output goes through the Windows desktop manager which uses triple buffered vsync at all times. It works kinda weird since it still allows you to disable vsync in games, so you'll see the framerate get above vsync just fine, but the actual output to screen is still vsynced, so it has issues with input lag and possible microstuttering, even when you disable vsync in game.

In case of AMS, the only way to mitigate this while being able to reliably alt-tab is to run the game in borderless with vsync disabled (interestingly enough, vsync on doesn't work in AMS in windowed mode, it always runs without vsync internally in that case for some weird reason) and limit the framerate to 120 (double my refresh rate) with Afterburner. I still get some microstutter and the game doesn't always run at full 120, so it's not always as smooth as it could be, but it is fairly minimal and certainly beats the prospect of not being able to race because your game window lost focus or you had to alt-tab to do something and you can't get back into the game without restarting it (happened to me a few times).

I used full screen exclusively in all games and sims until Microsoft decided to not fully support graphics card functions in full screen any longer in Windows 10. Now I have to use Windowed to get the proper graphics settings I set.

What do you mean? Windows 10 still supports fullscreen perfectly fine. They have just made some adjustments so alt-tabbing and other things work better, but you can disable that if your game has issues with it (disable fullscreen optimizations for given game). But a vast majority of the games should be perfectly fine and run fullscreen just fine the same way they always did.

What do you mean? Windows 10 still supports fullscreen perfectly fine. They have just made some adjustments so alt-tabbing and other things work better, but you can disable that if your game has issues with it (disable fullscreen optimizations for given game). But a vast majority of the games should be perfectly fine and run fullscreen just fine the same way they always did.

NVIDIA control panel AA settings no longer work in full screen mode. Yes, there are fiddles and work-arounds, but those should not be necessary.

@Marc Collins That's not really true. In *some* games, the AA settings do not work. Specifically, in AMS. But saying it's because "Microsoft decided to not fully support graphics card functions in full screen any longer", that's a completely misleading and false statement. Nothing like that ever happened. You can easily fix the issue by creating an nVidia profile for the given game (or edit the existing one if there's one) and set appropriate AA compatibility flags. It's a one minute fix, literally. Once you do that, everything works just like it used to.

And the reason you have to do this manually is because nVidia apparently can't be bothered to create a default profile for AMS that would contain this fix (well, to be precise - they can't be bothered to create a default profile for AMS, period), and Reiza are apparently not interested in adjusting the profile AMS creates if you set it to use the "advanced" AA either.

So if you want to blame anyone for this, pick either nVidia or Reiza. Either one of them could solve this issue very easily.

@Marc Collins That's not really true. In *some* games, the AA settings do not work. Specifically, in AMS. But saying it's because "Microsoft decided to not fully support graphics card functions in full screen any longer", that's a completely misleading and false statement. Nothing like that ever happened. You can easily fix the issue by creating an nVidia profile for the given game (or edit the existing one if there's one) and set appropriate AA compatibility flags. It's a one minute fix, literally. Once you do that, everything works just like it used to.

And the reason you have to do this manually is because nVidia apparently can't be bothered to create a default profile for AMS that would contain this fix (well, to be precise - they can't be bothered to create a default profile for AMS, period), and Reiza are apparently not interested in adjusting the profile AMS creates if you set it to use the "advanced" AA either.

So if you want to blame anyone for this, pick either nVidia or Reiza. Either one of them could solve this issue very easily.

The Reiza profiles work perfectly on my machine, so I blame nVidia and Microsoft. Most (if not all) of my games are affected, not just AMS. So I blame nVidia and Microsoft :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 378 39.6%