Full Screen Optimisation

I've been playing around with turning this on and off from the compatibility tab in Windows for ACS.exe to see if it would help me with performance during replays.

In the end I worked out this setting had no bearing on my issue. I did however notice how it affected colour / contrast.

With 'Full Screen Optimisation' enabled, the game had normal colour / contrast / brightness as per what I am used to. With 'Full Screen Optimisation' disabled the game seemed to adopt the
colour / contrast / brightness of the Windows Desktop.

I understand that 'Full Screen Optimisation' means Windows is fooling the game into believing it is in Full Screen Exclusive Mode but is actually in some kind of hybrid borderless window to aid modern overlay utilities to work better and alt-tabbing.

Can someone explain to me what is going on here? Basically, when I turn off 'Full Screen Optimisation' the game must be running in old fashioned 'Full Screen Exclusive Mode' (seems to adopt desktop settings) and when 'Full Screen Optimisation' is enabled the game is running in this altered state (using different
colour / contrast / brightness settings, brighter and less contrast).

Where do the colour / contrast / brightness settings get defined whilst in the default 'Full Screen Optimisation' mode? Perhaps I've got this back to front but either way the different modes result in different picture settings.

Last edited:
My main question:
Do you have an ICC profile active? Or where did you change the colours for desktop?
I personally don't use an ICC profile and I have no colour settings set anywhere.
So for me it's completely identical with full screen optimizations on or off.

Last edited:
Hi,

When I first got the Nvidia card (previously AMD) I went into the Nvidia Control Panel and adjusted the colour settings (desktop settings I think) and went for higher contrast, deeper black and pushed the digital vibrance right up as generally like the more saturated look in games.

I thought these settings were also affecting in-game image. Perhaps it was placebo. I definitely saw a dramatic change of image with FSO enabled and then disabled so I guess it pints to the modified desktop settings?

Does this mean when FSO is enabled the desktop settings are ignored and colour / contrast is forced to a default state?

I have not dabbled with any ICC profiles.

I guess it pints to the modified desktop settings?
Seems so... I'll test it when I'm back at my pc!

When you want deeper black, more vibrance and more contrast:
What's your colour range set to?
I think that setting is in the "resolution" section, scroll down and there should be "limited" and "full".
Is it set to full?

That setting definitely works across all games, desktop, etc. It uses either full rgb range (0-255) or limits black to 16 and white to 235. That's the "TV range compression" afaik but if you don't have an "hdmi black correction" in the TV, it makes everything gray...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 120 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 94 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 90 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 64 6.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 128 13.7%