AC Friendly Event: Mazda MX5 Cup @ Vallelunga - Fri 07/07/17

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Sry guys that I had to leave. Now I have some work to do. I knew that wood wouldn't be the best material for my selfmade rig :cry:

show.php

Cheers for that guys, was a bit off the pace but managed to get some speed towards the end after Neil went through. Negotiating a lapped car put that battle to bed though! Still need to find a wheel setup that feels good on AC, but I'm hoping a more familiar track like Brands next week will bring me on a step.

That was fun! It was great racing with you @Digaph It was too bad someone gave me a little nudge off the track on the first lap, but owell. I don't even know who it was, but on the first turn they "optimistically" came down the inside, and the second part of that turn got me at the apex. I am not even 100% sure it was their fault on the second part of the turn, but it was a "bold" move down the inside on the first. To say it nicely. :) But hey, then I got to start from the back and go from there. This was my second race on AC. It was fun racing with you all! (More language than the other clubs though..)

Cheers for that guys, was a bit off the pace but managed to get some speed towards the end after Neil went through. Negotiating a lapped car put that battle to bed though! Still need to find a wheel setup that feels good on AC, but I'm hoping a more familiar track like Brands next week will bring me on a step.
Yeah, great battle Ross! You were getting quicker and quicker and making me very nervous :)

Btw: results

Fantastic race with @Andy Dixey for like a solid 20 minutes, just watch the track limits ;)
Thanks Eddy, agreed it was a great battle! Appreciate the feedback too, I'm just getting to grips with racing with others (rather than just solo hot laps), so the focus at the moment is to practice close racing without trading too much paint! I did a few laps before the race to try and work out where the braking points were, turns out that was useful in knowing how to follow closely without nerfing you off! Overtaking though clearly needs some more work :D
I'll have a look at the replay to check the track limits issue, but I guess the worst part was the sharp left hairpin near the end where I know I was pushing the limits with understeer.

Mr Crew Chief kept telling me that the guy in front would eventually make a mistake but I wasn't seeing any of that for lap after lap ;) Brilliant close racing, looking forward to more :thumbsup:

Thanks Eddy, agreed it was a great battle! Appreciate the feedback too, I'm just getting to grips with racing with others (rather than just solo hot laps), so the focus at the moment is to practice close racing without trading too much paint! I did a few laps before the race to try and work out where the braking points were, turns out that was useful in knowing how to follow closely without nerfing you off! Overtaking though clearly needs some more work :D
I'll have a look at the replay to check the track limits issue, but I guess the worst part was the sharp left hairpin near the end where I know I was pushing the limits with understeer.

Mr Crew Chief kept telling me that the guy in front would eventually make a mistake but I wasn't seeing any of that for lap after lap ;) Brilliant close racing, looking forward to more :thumbsup:
It's a hard track to pass, the best place is usually on the brakes up the inside after the back straight I've found, you were fair on giving me space but yeah try keep within the white lines with at least 2 wheels and if you do go over with 4 wheels just roll off the gas for half a second or so, usually means you've managed to take the corner with too much speed so just rolling off evens it out again, likewise if you pass but fail to stay in limits you should maybe give the space back, not digging at you, just feedback :)

Hope to see you in some other races for close battles :thumbsup:

That was fun! It was great racing with you @Digaph It was too bad someone gave me a little nudge off the track on the first lap, but owell.
Thank you @Slalom823, it sure was fun. I still have a lot to learn in both base pace as well as consistency, but this surely was a nice lesson in keeping composure.

At midpoint during the race I got a little too comfortable in 10th place. 9th place has disappeared on the horizon and my rear view mirror had been showing me nothing but empty track for several laps already, so cruising I was... until you showed up :) Over a second a lap faster then me and closing that gap very rapidly. At some less then optimal turn taking on my part and you're on my bumper.

Now this is my 4th race with you guys and also my 4th ever online race. If there is one thing I learned from the first 3 is that as soon as someone starts pushing from behind I'll just move over (willingly or unwillingly, all the same). I knew however that the track is very favorable to defending and so I gave it a shot, resulted in some fierce battling and wheel to wheel cornering, but without ever making contact (as far as I remember).
Thanks for that @Slalom823 , looking forward to our next meetup.

Great race to all of you, thanks for organizing it @Rupe Wilson

did two inicial mistakes take pushed me into the "no man´s land" (no one in front or in back).
Then i spend the eternety to catch Eddie and Andy, wich i did and when thing´s were getting interesting, did another mistake.
Had no more strengh to come back again and drag myself to the finish.
Never think that in a "small" track with 20 cars, i will be alone :)
Congrats to the winner and all drivers.

On viewing my own incident, as i could not work out what happened on the first lap, being morphed into another car, (i think lag) how i had to brake down to about 50kph and i was still catching a car in front who was doing 130+kph..
look at the reply of the 2 cars speeds its really strange, and then getting slung out sideways ..
it felt like the car behind hit me, but in the replay there is a gap.. the car in front suddenly teleport's half way round the corner..
all very strange indeed.

a couple on teamspeak also had a look for me at there replays and found it all strange. it does appear i was hit by a car the way my car spun, maybe it was just a collision thing going on..as i say all very strange. if you did hit me why did you not wait..

And we did notice a incidents in the background where contact was made and cars did not stop and wait. this is a breach of our golden rule, :( Also the odd overtake where drivers failed to keep you car inside the track limits after making the pass. diving up the inside and running wide on the exit it not allowed.. you have not achieved a legal pass and should have given back the position..
Aso going into the hairpins.. Guys you have to use your heads there, you cant just sling it up the inside last thing. the cars will always close to the apex, you have to already be along side before the turn in point, not just appear and ram the car wide.. that is not racing :(

if contact is made, do not just stop your car dead in the road on the racing line, move to a safe area and wait ideally off the track, then both parties must wait until its safe to rejoin the track and then build up to race speed asap off the racing line.

To many silly errors from over eager drivers trying to make passes is not what club racing is about.

Ooops forgot to say,

if you are getting overtaken by the leading pack, (lapped) do not panic, just hold you line and let them by
a predictable car is a lot easier to get round than one that tries to help by moving over.
they will come up behind you and move over to overtake, you can assist then by lifting of the gas a little. to help them get by quicker on a straight,
if they catch you in a corner just race your corner as you would do normally. they will have the exit speed and make the pass on the next straight, they will not or should not dive bomb you into the corner forcing you off track.
Fast guys will carry a higher corner speed and must be aware of this and adjust if necessary when coming up on a slower car in a corner.
this is another reason why i insist on teamspeak so you can at least hear guys maybe giving a hint at what there doing.

im sure the above was just a few miss haps and we can all adjust our driving to suit.

Remember its not the position you finish but the journey in getting there that is important in the friendly events at RD if not all the events we host..:)

Last edited:
It's a hard track to pass, the best place is usually on the brakes up the inside after the back straight I've found, you were fair on giving me space but yeah try keep within the white lines with at least 2 wheels and if you do go over with 4 wheels just roll off the gas for half a second or so, usually means you've managed to take the corner with too much speed so just rolling off evens it out again, likewise if you pass but fail to stay in limits you should maybe give the space back, not digging at you, just feedback :)
Hope to see you in some other races for close battles :thumbsup:

Spot on Eddy thanks, I'm trying to learn and that definitely helps :thumbsup:
It's especially pertinent advice before heading to Brands GP! A track with several corners where track limits often become an issue IRL. One of the most notorious spots is running wide coming out of Graham Hill Bend onto Cooper Straight where they fitted pressure sensors at the side of the track along with cameras to catch this. Likewise plunging down the hill after Paddock or coming out of Druids for example. Then there's the apex at Dingle Dell etc etc... ;) I'll try and do a few laps beforehand to check the replays and learn where the limits are from cockpit view perspective!

Passing opportunities are fairly limited there also, so again it should be a good challenge. Fantastic circuit in any case, one of the very best, can't wait :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back