AC Friendly Event: Mazda MX5 Cup @ Nurburgring GP - Fri 30/06/17

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
1 or 2 laps? That is the very definition of caution ;) I had just under 4 litres left at the end and was sorry I hadn't paid more attention to the consumption so I could cut it finer :p
With the inconsistent state of my driving at times, I don't think a couple of litres either way would have made a huge difference tbh ;)

I have seen the app before, but cannot work out what it's supposed to do - please educate me . . . .
It can do a lot of things but how it works:
It reads out the memory where AC is caching things like wheel movement, g forces, tire slip, camera movement etc.
Then you have more sliders you could wish for like head leaning when g forces are there or "opposite look" (not lock) when the direction of the car differs from the direction of the movement (like drifting) etc etc.

What I do with it: when I turn the wheel, after a few degrees the ac camera starts to look in the direction I turn. It's like "look to apex" but very smooth. I only use a few degrees but that's enough. Without it I get motion sick in tight corners!
But it's not like it wobbles when correcting the wheel while turning! Little movements get filtered :)
Also you can filter out the shaking of the cam. I filter out about 75% so when I go over really big bumps my cam will shake. If I go over little bumps, only the cockpit will shake (like lock to horizon).

Long text but you asked :p I will do a little video with splitscreen on/off. Maybe others want to know too :)

Thanks - appreciated. I think the video will be great - with recommended settings. Especially for us newbies !
Great to be a part of this fraternity - family.
Regards

It can do a lot of things but how it works:
It reads out the memory where AC is caching things like wheel movement, g forces, tire slip, camera movement etc.
Then you have more sliders you could wish for like head leaning when g forces are there or "opposite look" (not lock) when the direction of the car differs from the direction of the movement (like drifting) etc etc.

What I do with it: when I turn the wheel, after a few degrees the ac camera starts to look in the direction I turn. It's like "look to apex" but very smooth. I only use a few degrees but that's enough. Without it I get motion sick in tight corners!
But it's not like it wobbles when correcting the wheel while turning! Little movements get filtered :)
Also you can filter out the shaking of the cam. I filter out about 75% so when I go over really big bumps my cam will shake. If I go over little bumps, only the cockpit will shake (like lock to horizon).

Long text but you asked :p I will do a little video with splitscreen on/off. Maybe others want to know too :)
Good info, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

@PietervE8 @Andy Dixey
I made a little video (7 minutes, whoops) where I show everything :)

Link to the official App-Thread at the AC Forum: LINK

Timestamps are in the video description so you can jump between the scenes quickly!
Copy of Timestamps:
0:00 - RHM settings (2 screens)
0:14 - Drifting with RHM to show the view effect
0:49 - How to use look buttons and rearcam (inGame buttons won't work with RHM)
1:03 - Driving one lap of Nürburgring
3:29 - F1 bouncing at Nordschleife (First few corners)
4:48 - F1 - Karussell
5:16 - F1 - Long straight bouncing (try to fokus on ONE spot at horizon)

I only use 15° and it's a whole lot of different experience!
RealHeadMotion_KarussellF1.png

Last edited:
@PietervE8 @Andy Dixey

Timestamps are in the video description so you can jump between the scenes quickly!
Link the official App-Thread at the AC Forum: LINK
Copy of Timestamps:

View attachment 199609
That looks really cool! Many thanks also for taking the time out to put the vid together :)

I followed an installation guide on YouTube (Nuno I think?) but it doesn't seem to work yet. The debug screen displayed the correct track and car combo, but it wasn't having any effect in game. I was rushing it a bit though so I'll go back and have another look, might have missed something...

That looks really cool! Many thanks also for taking the time out to put the vid together :)

I followed an installation guide on YouTube (Nuno I think?) but it doesn't seem to work yet. The debug screen displayed the correct track and car combo, but it wasn't having any effect in game. I was rushing it a bit though so I'll go back and have another look, might have missed something...
Thanks for the feedback :)
- Did you click on "register DLLs"? RHM does emulate a head tracking device, using the same DLLs.
- to get the steering-looking working, the "Steer Look Ahead LR" is essential. Especially the Min (when does it start) and the Max (when should it stop) and most important: the slider (Max Look Ahead Value).

Thanks for the feedback :)
- Did you click on "register DLLs"? RHM does emulate a head tracking device, using the same DLLs.
- to get the steering-looking working, the "Steer Look Ahead LR" is essential. Especially the Min (when does it start) and the Max (when should it stop) and most important: the slider (Max Look Ahead Value).
Seems I was using an old version linked from this page, which didn't have the 'register DLL's' option:
I did some more fiddling around last night and after installing the full version of Content Manager, I then used this to help install the later v1.0.4.2 of RHM (along with a few other things). Followed your guidelines and now it works, yay :p
Maybe I just need to find a comfortable setting and get used to it, but so far I found it a little strange as it seems to alter the perception of how much steering input you're actually putting in. In any case I'll do a few more practice laps with it and see how it goes. Thanks again for the help!

Incidentally did you do the side by side video by playing the same replays back, once with RHM loaded and then again with it switched off?

Seems I was using an old version linked from this page, which didn't have the 'register DLL's' option:
I did some more fiddling around last night and after installing the full version of Content Manager, I then used this to help install the later v1.0.4.2 of RHM (along with a few other things). Followed your guidelines and now it works, yay :p
Maybe I just need to find a comfortable setting and get used to it, but so far I found it a little strange as it seems to alter the perception of how much steering input you're actually putting in. In any case I'll do a few more practice laps with it and see how it goes. Thanks again for the help!

Incidentally did you do the side by side video by playing the same replays back, once with RHM loaded and then again with it switched off?
I recorded it while driving and then recorded the replay. Synced it and done :)
RHM doesn't work in replays so it was the easiest solution.

To the steering input "change": yeah, it's a bit of a problem. Also you don't SEE when you start to slide that well but the FFB is so good that I can live with that. Due to my little FOV=47 (35 would be "real") I got motion sick when doing fast and tight corners. I felt like getting pushed around instead of driving around.

But the 15° are giving me enough "anti motion sick" and don't mess up your steering input completely. Maybe try 10° or even 30° to find your perfect setting :)

@PietervE8 @Andy Dixey

Link to the official App-Thread at the AC Forum: LINK

Copy of Timestamps:

View attachment 199609
Thanks a lot ! As soon as everything is back I will do the changeover.
I think that there will be more guys that will benefit from your video - the Karussel makes a powerful point.

To the steering input "change": yeah, it's a bit of a problem.
Haha, so it's not just me then after all. Great stuff, I'll try a few laps in prep for Friday's session and will keep a bucket close by just in case ;)
Another side benefit btw has been the ability to use the analog thumbstick on the fanatec rim to look around which I couldn't do otherwise in the game.

As @PietervE8 mentioned, there are bound to be others who would find this interesting. Probably should be given its own thread if there isn't something similar already?

Will do so in the future :) I am planning to create a "full racing app guide" since it seems I am quite helpful when I do that kind of things:inlove:
But it will take a while to create it :whistling:

Hi guys.
Over the past few events in AC, I have been witness to and I have been the victim of, some pretty bad cases of bad driving. Could I respectfully request, that we all do our best to abide by RD rules please? The main rule breaches I'm talking about, have been pertaining to rules #1, #5,#8 & #10.
#1 If you hit another driver during a Club race and disadvantage him, we expect you to stop and let the other driver regain his position on you. This shows respect to your fellow drivers and will encourage drivers to be more careful. Please use some care when letting the other driver regain position, and do not immediately stop your car on the racing line where it can cause further accidents.
#5 If you accidentally leave the track for whatever reason you must wait until there is a clear, safe gap before rejoining the track. Upon rejoining the track you must get up to speed as quickly as possible without blocking the racing line.
#8 Do not deliberately cut the track. The white (or yellow) lines mark the edge of the road. Do not cross them with more than two wheels.
#10 Follow all safety rules as if you were in a real car on a real track; use the pit speed limiter in pit lane, observe all safety flags and lights, no donuts in the pit lane or on the track, no deliberate distraction of other drivers, etc.

Last Friday, I was hit by a car which was overtaking under a yellow flag (not for the first time in AC) - Yellow flags mean "No overtaking" guys. If there is an accident ahead of you, you must hold your position - this may mean you need to slow down a little.

The car which was overtaking under yellows, then punted me off. He then ran into another car and disadvantaged him. Then he drove off and didn't wait for either of us (Rule #1).

Rules #5 & #8 kind of overlap a little. If you go outside track limits ("leave the track"), then you should be waiting for a space to come back in. In practice however, if you are still at race speed, most people come straight back on. I can see why, but if you left the track and keep the gas nailed, you're kinda bending the rule somewhat. In this instance you should be lifting off the gas to acknowledge your mistake and to show other drivers that you're not profiting from a break of the rules.

I saw a guy straight line the chicane the other day. He had 2 cars tight on his tail, but didn't relinquish the position. This was a clear break of rule #8. If you leave the track in the same place on more than 1 lap, you should slow down at that point in future... no excuses.

The rules are linked in the OP of every event thread guys. http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/racing-club-regulations-2017.10978/
You should all be familiar with them. Please take care to observe RD rules. If we all abide by them, we all have more fun.

Thanks

Hi guys.
Over the past few events in AC, I have been witness to and I have been the victim of, some pretty bad cases of bad driving. Could I respectfully request, that we all do our best to abide by RD rules please? The main rule breaches I'm talking about, have been pertaining to rules #1, #5,#8 & #10.
#1 If you hit another driver during a Club race and disadvantage him, we expect you to stop and let the other driver regain his position on you. This shows respect to your fellow drivers and will encourage drivers to be more careful. Please use some care when letting the other driver regain position, and do not immediately stop your car on the racing line where it can cause further accidents.
#5 If you accidentally leave the track for whatever reason you must wait until there is a clear, safe gap before rejoining the track. Upon rejoining the track you must get up to speed as quickly as possible without blocking the racing line.
#8 Do not deliberately cut the track. The white (or yellow) lines mark the edge of the road. Do not cross them with more than two wheels.
#10 Follow all safety rules as if you were in a real car on a real track; use the pit speed limiter in pit lane, observe all safety flags and lights, no donuts in the pit lane or on the track, no deliberate distraction of other drivers, etc.

Last Friday, I was hit by a car which was overtaking under a yellow flag (not for the first time in AC) - Yellow flags mean "No overtaking" guys. If there is an accident ahead of you, you must hold your position - this may mean you need to slow down a little.

The car which was overtaking under yellows, then punted me off. He then ran into another car and disadvantaged him. Then he drove off and didn't wait for either of us (Rule #1).

Rules #5 & #8 kind of overlap a little. If you go outside track limits ("leave the track"), then you should be waiting for a space to come back in. In practice however, if you are still at race speed, most people come straight back on. I can see why, but if you left the track and keep the gas nailed, you're kinda bending the rule somewhat. In this instance you should be lifting off the gas to acknowledge your mistake and to show other drivers that you're not profiting from a break of the rules.

I saw a guy straight line the chicane the other day. He had 2 cars tight on his tail, but didn't relinquish the position. This was a clear break of rule #8. If you leave the track in the same place on more than 1 lap, you should slow down at that point in future... no excuses.

The rules are linked in the OP of every event thread guys. http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/racing-club-regulations-2017.10978/
You should all be familiar with them. Please take care to observe RD rules. If we all abide by them, we all have more fun.

Thanks
Hi Denis,

As a newbie I just wanted some extra clarification pls on the rules of engagement. With regard to defending your position as part of what should hopefully be a good clean exchange between you and the guy behind, what is considered acceptable in a typical club race? IRL of course a driver would typically be allowed one move to cover the inside for example, and let the faster car make their move around the outside. A couple of times on Friday after fluffing my exits, the guys behind had the run on me down the straight so I tried to leave plenty of racing room and didn't make too much of an effort to defend.

Rule #7 states: "Do not alter your line or braking for a faster car behind you. Unpredictable moves have a way of ending the race for both of you. Let the faster car dictate when and where to initiate a pass, and only then assist by easing off of the throttle."

Should this be interpreted in such a way that any form of active defence is frowned upon as it may result in contact, and if you're being caught from behind regardless of closing speed, you should instead help them to pass cleanly by easing off the throttle once they're alongside? Or does the word 'unpredictable' still leave open the possibility of a steady, predictable move to cover the inside line?

Appreciate if you could just clarify this either way please as I'm sure there'll be plenty more cars overtaking me again this coming Friday ;)

Cheers,
Andy.

@Andy Dixey the RD rules are more or less 100% like real life.
So 1 defending move. Of course you are allowed to do that! :)
But beware: I've seen a few incidents where the defending driver didn't do a clear "block" but instead decided too late how to defend and pushed/forced the overtaking car from the track. That's NOT allowed...

To rule #7: that's meant for overlapping or when a guy had an incident, dropped behind you but is 10 seconds faster than you per lap.
In easy real life rules: it's meant for when you are getting a blue flag, not when fighting for position! :)

@Andy Dixey the RD rules are more or less 100% like real life.
So 1 defending move. Of course you are allowed to do that! :)
But beware: I've seen a few incidents where the defending driver didn't do a clear "block" but instead decided too late how to defend and pushed/forced the overtaking car from the track. That's NOT allowed...

To rule #7: that's meant for overlapping or when a guy had an incident, dropped behind you but is 10 seconds faster than you per lap.
In easy real life rules: it's meant for when you are getting a blue flag, not when fighting for position! :)
Haha, great stuff. Yes that makes perfect (common) sense now, thanks for clarifying!
That would have been pretty harsh if it meant no reasonable defensive moves were allowed at all :p
Like the rest of the rules then, it pretty much comes down to common sense and respect. Anyway best to be sure I suppose...

Hi Andy, it's great that you asked when you weren't sure buddy.

Rasmus has said it all really. Rule 7 is about much faster cars coming up behind you. The temptation, for a slower driver/new member, is to try to get out of the way. If you do this, it's unpredictable for the driver who is looking to overtake. It can therefore lead to an accident. Instead of trying to get out of the way, drive your normal line. The guy will soon find a way to get along side you. Once he's along side, you can ease off just slightly and drop in behind him.

You are, of course, allowed to defend your position. I would recommend that you signal your intentions early. If the chasing car is closing, you can move to the inside line early (before the braking zone) and force him to go round the long way. Moving around erratically in the braking zone is not allowed. You will, of course, enter the corner from out wide and close to the apex (good drivers can do this under braking - trail braking) and that's fine. But if the chasing car gets along side you, you must leave racing room.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi Andy, it's great that you asked when you weren't sure buddy.

Rasmus has said it all really. Rule 7 is about much faster cars coming up behind you. The temptation, for a slower driver/new member, is to try to get out of the way. If you do this, it's unpredictable for the driver who is looking to overtake. It can therefore lead to an accident. Instead of trying to get out of the way, drive your normal line. The guy will soon find a way to get along side you. Once he's along side, you can ease off just slightly and drop in behind him.

You are, of course, allowed to defend your position. I would recommend that you signal your intentions early. If the chasing car is closing, you can move to the inside line early (before the braking zone) and force him to go round the long way. Moving around erratically in the braking zone is not allowed. You will, of course, enter the corner from out wide and close to the apex (good drivers can do this under braking - trail braking) and that's fine. But if the chasing car gets along side you, you must leave racing room.

Hope this helps. :)
Yep, again that makes complete sense, thanks Denis. My challenge now is to try and put all of this into practice ;)

hi guys Im doing all that you guys are saying its runs and everything just not working in game could someone break it down for me?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 361 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%