Friday night racing club events

Hi all,

Due to a lack of signups in the friday night events i am searching for a new race format or/and class. Which class would you like to drive on the Friday nights and which format do you prefer?

Formats

Format 1:

• 2 x 30 minutes
  • No pitstop
Format 2:

• 1 x 60 minutes
  • Free / mandatory - pitstop
Format 3:

• 1 x 90 minutes enduro
  • Free / mandatory - pitstop
Standings Format:

• Format 1: 5 votes
  • Format 2: 1 votes
  • Format 3: 0 votes
Classes

• GT club
  • GT sport
  • GT pro
  • Porsche Mobil 1
  • Mini Cooper
  • WTCC Extreme

Aaargh that's a tough one Hugo.

Personally I would love Porsche Mobil 1, but I know the Club runs a weekly event with those (That I can't take part in) and so obviously others would not be interested possibly. Extremes would be cool to as they don't get much use.

I'm guessing that 2x30 min races might attract more interest as there's a 2nd race if all goes wrong in 1st one. Though I'm easy with all those formats.

Well I wasn't much help was I?

Yes, you are helping :)

The Porsche Mobil 1 races were on the Tuesdays (organized by me) but there also was a lack of signups lately. For the Tuesdays there is now the Porsche vs Ferrari battle.

I wonder what the rest thinks of the formats.

Thanks Philip

I used to love Mini Friday especially as it always had a big field, but it has died off gradually.

I think it's partly down to the different people. Mini Friday was at it's biggest last year and there was a hardcore group who always raced. I know many are no longer here, but I think it's also down to the fact that the Mini's have lost some off their interest. Track selection also I personally feel impacts a lot with the Mini's. I personally enjoy them far more on real tintop circuits like Brands Hatch, Valencia, Monza Junior, Lime Rock etc. I'm not a fan of some of the tracks that have been used in Mini Friday, especially long circuits where the Mini's can actually be boring.

If we can get the people back then Mini's will be welcome, but maybe we need something new to give to the Friday night racers and get their interest back.

Well you can start to expect 1 more guaranteed signup with me for pretty much whatever you chose for fridays, and most other nights. Winter is fast approaching and I will be driving my parents down to florida after the first ATCC event. Then my only responsibility is to visit their house daily and feed the cats lol

So I will at that point be a full time simracer :D

My suggestion would be Minis, with 20-25 minute races at short tracks (STCC) and forced pit stops with 2 tires to make it interesting, and variable weather. That really makes the racing unpredictable and exciting.

Ill be there either way, but I feel that formula makes for the most anticipation to a friday event.

For me going from the choices you have listed it would be the Mini's with a race length of around 60 minutes.

The GT cars in Evo are a poor substute when compared to the choice of GT cars in GTR2 or rfactor both of which have better variety, tyre choice and are better suited to longer enduro races.
GT Evo races should stick to where they are best, races of around 60 minutes with the likes of touring cars, mini's, some open wheel races, radicals, muscle cars and with only the odd GT race thrown in for those that do not own GTR2 or rfactor.

Not a lover of forced pit stops and especially in short 20 minute races, would rather spend the time racing than sitting in the pit getting new tyres that i do not need.

Personally, I like the whole Mini Friday idea, especially the Mini Shots, long races can be a bit boring. For me, (sim)racing is about tight fights, with a bit of "rubbing is racing" thrown in to the mix. I don't get as much of a kick out of racing the quick cars that sometimes are a bit too quick for proper scraps and also bring a drawn-out field, due to the difference in pace between the drivers.

Format 1 is the one I'd like. The others are just too long and doesn't give you a "second chance" of finishing well. I do rather often sign up with short notice due to my lack of scheduling abilities, so I sometimes come to qual with no practice, and use the qual and the first race to get up to pace. I know, that's not the way you are supposed to do it, but I do not think that I am alone on that one. Also, long races equals a stretched field. I don't enjoy going around for 20 laps on my own. I can do that offline, I go online to race with other cars.

Format 1 - shorter races are good, for pretty much the same reason as Emil above me as stated with the long races resulting in driving aroud for several hours on your own.

As for the cars..dont mind, as long its not the GT Pro or WTCC Extreme. Nothing against them, but those cars are faster and result in more spread out fields.

I used to be a regular at mini fridays and i may come back to do some races when the Cats league is not running, every fortnight. I vote for format 1 and the mini's, best combination for tight and enjoyable races.

EDIT: RD Mini Cooper Championship would be great, we haven't had it for a long time :).

Damn...im the only GTP vote,the Mini's had their fairly big chunk of time as one of the star attractions here at RD,but they sort of naturally died out,i like the idea of a proper big GT race to get ones teeth in to on a cold winter Friday night.

I went for GTPro because I can`t drive em and it would be good practice, plus the mini Friday doesn`t seem the same as it used to be, nothing against you Hugo, it`s just the people who used to be regulars made it fun.

Also personally I prefare longer races so Format 2 for me. But why not use each format on a rolling weekly schedule for a couple of months to gauge popularity.

Also (again) the drop in signups is probably down to the huge number of leagues being run at present, people in leagues on Fridays can`t race and leagues on Saturday may be practicing for that. Sign ups always seem to drop at this time of year.

Ok, i have read all the posts and here is my new idea for the friday night event

Class: Mini Cooper
Format: 2 x 30 minutes

Tracks: All the default Race On tracks as listed below. Every week we drive a track from the list so there will be no surprises for the upcoming 12 weeks. This gives people more time to practice and you will always know the next weeks track.

1. Curitiba
  2. Puebla
  3. Valencia
  4. Pau
  5. Brno
  6. Estoril
  7. Brands Hatch
  8. Oschersleben
  9. Imola
  10. Monza
  11. Okayama
  12. Macau
The winner of each race will be posted on the list. after the 12 races there is a final winner (or not).

For example:

1. Curitiba - winner = Yuri Braham
  2. Puebla - winner = Gary Lennon
  3. Valencia - winner = Bram Hengeveld
  4. Pau
  5. Brno
  6. ...
  7. ...
What do you think of this idea?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year