Freetrack head tracking for camera movement in game

• Robert Stork

absolutely!
these things are just too cool for people not to know about them.
They work fabulously in flight simulators.
Now if only arma2 would support freetrack along with trackir.

• Robert Stork

o well i had a pixo awi1130 webcam i picked up at frys for 15 bucks. I imagine it works pretty well.
I'm not exactly sure what would be best to use. YOu can always post at the freetrack forums and someone should be able to help you. I've posted a few things there as well.

Looks impressive.

Id be interested to try it out. Just gotta get into cockpit view.

Thanks for posting.

What view do you use Keith?

Freetrack looks good and I thought about Trackir, but I don't think I really move my head much. I tend to just move my eyes.

It nearly made me fail my driving test when I was 17 as I didn't exaggerate my head movement enough for the examiner to see I was looking in the mirrors. Luckily I passed anyway, but I would of been pissed to fail for not doing something that I was doing!!

Very interesting video though Robert:good:.

• Robert Stork

Thanks.

The original reason I got it wasfor flightsimulatorx.

When I was in drivers ed my instructor would put his hand over the rear view mirror and ask us what was behind us to make sure we were paying attention. Guess the examiner cant do that... :p
For me it looks like the driver moves his head a little exaggeratedly. Although perhaps the track he was on called for that.
For me on some track I notice that I only move my head a little and it isn't entirely noticeable. When I attempt to deliberately move my head it throws my driving off some. But when I just naturally move it looks more like what I would actually do in a real car. And if I was closer forward in my seat I think my head would move more than it does when I am seated father back. In the video that guy is pretty close to the front of the car.
But like I said I got this originally for fsx. I put the led kit for less than 10 bucks so I couldn't pass it up.

I think a gadget like this would come into it's own if you use a large screen or a projector. I still might try it as the benefits seen in the video could improve lap times. It made Macau look quite different as it was looking into turns more and earlier. You could judge how close the walls were and stuff like that.

And yes I remember my instructor used to cover my rear view sometimes to. He used to also say about the gears "if you can't find them, grind them":laugh2:.

• Robert Stork

Sounds like you had a fun time.
Me and my buddies would peel out when we were in the part of the lot the control tower couldn't see so well.
It was great when we got the old old cop car with the bald wheels.
"if you can't find them, grind them":laugh2:.

@ Phillip

I use chase cam, at max distance back. This is to allow me to see cars behind me, as I dont have a mirror.

Ive tried all the others and the incar and hood make me dizzy for some reason. My cam choice isnt very sim like, but it works :)

• Robert Stork

I was having problems with 2.2 so I would suggest getting 2.1
If you need help with settings just let me know.

• Marius Erlandsen

Wow, looks interesting. I always thought I would have to buy the whole package from TrackIR to get something like this working, but all I really need is a webcam? I have a webcam built into my monitor. What else would I need to get this going? Do I need to buy a special hat or something?

Wow, looks interesting. I always thought I would have to buy the whole package from TrackIR to get something like this working, but all I really need is a webcam? I have a webcam built into my monitor. What else would I need to get this going? Do I need to buy a special hat or something?

Tinfoil hat is always necessary, the aliens are watching us.. :messed:

There's alot of instructions on the website, probably the easiest method is a baseball cap and modified bicycle leds

I was having problems with 2.2 so I would suggest getting 2.1
If you need help with settings just let me know.

I got myself a webcam for 15 bucks today and just installed free track 2.2 and now I want to use it for rFactor but don't have no idea how to go on next and who to contact about that nor do I know if I need any further equipment apart from the cam..

• Marius Erlandsen

hmmm after reading some more I think this is one idea I'll have to pass. It sounded like a lot of work removing some IR-filter from inside the camera, and placing a photo negative in front of the camera, and also soldering LEDs of the correct type to a power supply and taping it all to my head...

• Robert Stork

Well. For my 15 dollar camera all I did was unscrew some screws. Snap the cover off. Unscrew the lens and popped a square piece of ir filter glass off it.
got the leds suggested. I used a power supply and got the right resister for it. Wired it up. Measured out the led mount. Got em all attached and I was good to go.

Freetrack or TrackIR WOW!
After an adventure today I'm convinced that they're real good for racing.
I've done all my racing in GTRe with TrackIR. I find I don't really move my head that much and can barely tell that it's working.

Well, that's what I thought untill it didn't start up prior to racing today and I decided to play racecar driver without it.
The view was bouncing all over the place, like as if my head was bolted to the frame! Whenever the car got out of sorts, it was much more difficult to get control, kind of nauseating too.

I really couldn't drive! I need my Track IR!

Buy it or build it, you'll love it!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 373 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing