FreeSync - nVidia 2070 - Triple Screen...does it work?

M D Gourley

Premium
Is 'FreeSync' going:O_o:...I have an ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 and it only has 2x Display Ports, so I thought I would test a theory out, attached Display Port Cables to 2 of my 3 AOC monitors, the Centre and Left monitors and plugged the other end into my 2070, the Right side monitor had to have the HDMI.
I went into the nVidia Control Panel and...there it was:confused: 'Set Up G-Sync':thumbsup:...as it was not there before when I had all 3 monitors connected via HDMI ports.
I looked in the AOC monitor OSD settings to see if 'FreeSync' was activated....it was:confused::confused:...OMG...but only on the 2 monitors that have the Display Port cable attached...the Centre and Left monitors on my Triple Screen set up....and the triple screen set up is working as normal in all Sims I have:confused:
Question is: Does this mean I have FreeSync running on the Centre and Left monitors
1 nVIDIA CONTROL PANEL enable g sync.jpg

FreeSync is activated on the Centre monitor, connection is via DisplayPort cable
1 AOC FREESYNC centre monitor copy.jpg

FreeSync is activated on the Left side monitor, connection is via DisplayPort cable
2 AOC FREESYNC Left monitor copy.jpg

Right side monitor not activated with FreeSync as this is connected with HDMI (not supported)
2 AOC FREESYNC Right monitor copy.jpg

Is 'FreeSync' running on the centre and left side monitor only...how would I know:O_o::geek:

You can also try daisy chain one monitor, I used that trick in the office when I needed to connect 3 monitors to laptop, works pretty neat, not sure about FreeSync support though, you would need to test.
Thank you for this information....unfortunately my new monitors do not have 2x Display Port connections per monitor for this to work:(

Upvote 0
Its a joke. I always bought ASUS as my initial build was all ASUS and worked flawlessly. But their cards are all 2 x DP. Cant understand it.
I'm looking for a to updrade my Gigabyte 1080 for a Gigabyte 2080 myself but still very expensive.

Upvote 0
Do the monitors have something like "fps" or framerate or whatever?
All gsync monitors have such stuff like showing a cross hair in the middle, showing "fps" or showing some borders or whatever.

The "fps" is completely incorrect because it displays the Hz of the monitor.
Meaning on desktop it always shows 100 no matter what fps the applications run.
Disabling gsync will show 100 in full screen games too.

Enabling gsync and running a full screen application (I have activated it for full screen only), the 100 will start to wildly flicker and fluctuate.
Showing the Hz, and since it's gsync, also the framerate.

It's the easiest way of 100% correct indicating whether or not gsync is actually running.

Maybe your aoc have a similar thingy...?
Apart from that I don't know if the gsync indicator from the Nvidia inspector might work for gsync compatible freesync too...

Upvote 0
But their cards are all 2 x DP. Cant understand it.
Yes, I would have to agree with you there, now that I wanted to upgrade my triple screen monitor set up and only have either HDMI or Displayport connections on my new AOC 27V2Q monitors...my Asus RTX 2070 only has 2x HDMI or 2x Displayport, so not ideal for triple screen set ups if wanting all the same connections.

Upvote 0
Do the monitors have something like "fps" or framerate or whatever?
All gsync monitors have such stuff like showing a cross hair in the middle, showing "fps" or showing some borders or whatever.
errr...sorry, not being a tech person, I did not really understand what your saying...thanks for the input though, much appreciated:)

Upvote 0
errr...sorry, not being a tech person, I did not really understand what your saying...thanks for the input though, much appreciated:)
Freesync/gsync mean that the Monitor's refresh rate (Hz) is synchronized with the Game's refresh rate (frames per second / fps).
V-Sync means the same but the game will be locked at a specific fps value to be the same as the monitor's specific Hz-value.

So the only way to really know if freesync/gsync are working is to check the monitor's Hz-value while you also see the game's fps-value.

My monitor can show its Hz "in real time":
It's not really "game enhancing" and it's also not the "frame rate" but is the Hz-value but anyway, it does the job...
I would've put it under "Troubleshooting" -> "Show Hz" :rolleyes:

Your monitor might have a similar thing in its menu!
upload_2019-5-13_12-46-2-png.305535

For Assetto Corsa, showing fps via riva tuner/msi afterburner it looks like this:

G-Sync not active: 100 Hz, 75 fps
(not very nice to read but you can see the 74.9 fps right next to the "100")
upload_2019-5-13_12-41-59-png.305533

G-Sync active: 75 Hz, 75 fps
upload_2019-5-13_12-42-22-png.305534

In this screenshot you also see the transparent overlay "G-SYNC ON".

This overlay can be activated in the nvidia control panel. Click onto "Display" in the top bar and select "G-Sync indicator".

https://za.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41598/~/how-to-turn-on-g-sync-indicator

Since you have a nvidia card and are running in "g-sync compatible mode", this indicator should work for you too!

Only for true Freesync on AMD GPUs I don't know of any indicator...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.3%