FreeSync - nVidia 2070 - Triple Screen...does it work?

M D Gourley

Premium
Is 'FreeSync' going:O_o:...I have an ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 and it only has 2x Display Ports, so I thought I would test a theory out, attached Display Port Cables to 2 of my 3 AOC monitors, the Centre and Left monitors and plugged the other end into my 2070, the Right side monitor had to have the HDMI.
I went into the nVidia Control Panel and...there it was:confused: 'Set Up G-Sync':thumbsup:...as it was not there before when I had all 3 monitors connected via HDMI ports.
I looked in the AOC monitor OSD settings to see if 'FreeSync' was activated....it was:confused::confused:...OMG...but only on the 2 monitors that have the Display Port cable attached...the Centre and Left monitors on my Triple Screen set up....and the triple screen set up is working as normal in all Sims I have:confused:
Question is: Does this mean I have FreeSync running on the Centre and Left monitors
1 nVIDIA CONTROL PANEL enable g sync.jpg

FreeSync is activated on the Centre monitor, connection is via DisplayPort cable
1 AOC FREESYNC centre monitor copy.jpg

FreeSync is activated on the Left side monitor, connection is via DisplayPort cable
2 AOC FREESYNC Left monitor copy.jpg

Right side monitor not activated with FreeSync as this is connected with HDMI (not supported)
2 AOC FREESYNC Right monitor copy.jpg

Is 'FreeSync' running on the centre and left side monitor only...how would I know:O_o::geek:

Since you have a nvidia card and are running in "g-sync compatible mode", this indicator should work for you too!

Only for true Freesync on AMD GPUs I don't know of any indicator...
Thanks RasmusP...checked 'g-sync compatible mode'...but no overlays show up on screen in any Sims...so it must not work on my FreeSync monitors:(
1a nVIDIA CONTROL PANEL g sync compatable monitor.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks RasmusP...checked 'g-sync compatible mode'...but no overlays show up on screen in any Sims...so it must not work on my FreeSync monitors:(
View attachment 331080
At the bottom you can see "Selected Display is not validated as g-sync compatible.

You could test if it works/changes when you unplug the hdmi display.
BTW I don't know where you purchased the gpu but normally you can send it back for 14 days. At least in the EU.
Would be worth it I'd say to get a card with 3 DPs...

Upvote 0
At the bottom you can see "Selected Display is not validated as g-sync compatible.

You could test if it works/changes when you unplug the hdmi display.
BTW I don't know where you purchased the gpu but normally you can send it back for 14 days. At least in the EU.
Would be worth it I'd say to get a card with 3 DPs...
Will look into that...thanks
I have had my GPU for 9 months or so I think.

Upvote 0
The gsync indicator overlay should be visible no matter the vsync setting though.
If a game has access to gsync, the indicator will show even if the framerate is out of the gsync range.
For example my monitor has a maximum of 100 hz but the indicator will still be there if the game runs at 200 fps or anything.

I think as long as the gsync menu states that the selected display is not gsync compatible, it won't work.

Is there a way to run triple screens in the sims without Nvidia surround?
I think I've read about people running gsync on their center monitors but not on the side panels.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I think as long as the gsync menu states that the selected display is not gsync compatible, it won't work.
It's compatible (or you wouldn't get into that NVidia settings), but not validated.
I have the same warning on my monitor and G-SYNC logo shows up in games.
Could be Nvidia surround messing things up as you suggested, may be OP can try single monitor without surround.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/294777/freesync-monitor-nvidia-surround-/

Upvote 0
It's compatible (or you wouldn't get into that NVidia settings), but not validated.
I have the same warning on my monitor and G-SYNC logo shows up in games.
Could be Nvidia surround messing things up as you suggested, may be OP can try single monitor without surround.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/294777/freesync-monitor-nvidia-surround-/
Thanks...will have to do more research and it states....
Only single displays are currently supported; multiple monitors can be connected but no more than one display should have G-SYNC enabled.

Upvote 0
I think only Pascal cards like my 1080 can only do single. I think you have all the right stuff to get triple gsync going if you had 3xdp ports.
ASUS idiots.

Upvote 0
Since you have a nvidia card and are running in "g-sync compatible mode", this indicator should work for you too!
Yes, I have just tested it out...disabled surround and only had one DisplayPort cable connected to my GPU and 1 monitor and did get the 'G-Sync ON' overlay on screen:).
Interestingly in rF2 setting the Hz in the Video Settings at 60Hz I got a stable 60FPS....then changing the Hz in the Video Settings to 75Hz I go a stable 75FPS:thumbsup:
Below screen shots in rF2 single monitor 1920x1080 at 60Hz in Video Settings and in game FPS Steam Counter at top left showing 60FPS:thumbsup:
1 AOC G SYNC ON rF2 60Hz set in VIDEO SETTINGS.jpg
1a AOC G SYNC ON rF2 60Hz in SIM.jpg

Below screen shots in rF2 single monitor 1920x1080 at 75Hz in Video Settings and in game FPS Staem Counter at top left showing 75FPS:thumbsup:
2 AOC G SYNC ON rF2 75Hz set in VIDEO SETTINGS.jpg
2a AOC G SYNC ON rF2 75Hz in SIM.jpg

...other games showing g-Sync indicator on...
4 AOC G SYNC ON rF2 60Hz set in ACC.jpg
5 AOC G SYNC ON rF2 75Hz set in WRECKFEST.jpg

Upvote 0
Awesome to hear! :thumbsup:

One thing though: You should never have as many fps as your maximum Hz. If you do, you don't really have g-sync/freesync actively running but instead the standard v-sync with input lag.

To have the "good" sync with less input lag you need to limit your fps slightly below the Hz.

Example:

rF2 settings: 75 Hz
rF2 fps: limited to 72 fps
Monitor displaying: 72 Hz
G-Sync indicator: active

Bit of a ball ache that you always need a fps limiter when using g-sync/freesync but that's how it works.
The alternative of course would be to simply use your hardware as a limiter... If your CPU or GPU can't run at 75 fps, you'll automatically have the real g-sync/freesync.

However for my eyes, fluctuating fps values are still stuttering so I always use a limiter below what my hardware can put out.

Example:
Monitor Hz Range: Up to 100 Hz
rF2 settings: 100 Hz
rF2 fps if I don't limit the fps: 55-130 fps

Where I limit my fps in rF2: 60 fps
What my monitor really runs at: 60 Hz with slight drops to 55.

Anyway the next step would be to put two monitors into the "surround" and check again.
Maybe there's a way of using triples without nvidia surround so you could have g-sync on 2 of 3 monitors?

Upvote 0
Anyway the next step would be to put two monitors into the "surround" and check again.
Maybe there's a way of using triples without nvidia surround so you could have g-sync on 2 of 3 monitors?
And this is probably the most definite answer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ahfzzw/anyone_successfully_enable_gsync_with_surround/
Originally it was supported on single active display only, later driver update added support for surround but only for Turing cards.
Or so was my understanding from reading the post.
Thanks for your input RasmusP....Andrew_WOT provided a link that in it states...
Only single displays are currently supported; multiple monitors can be connected but no more than one display should have G-SYNC enabled.
I have enabled surround again on my Triple Screen set up and do not really know if it is working...not to worry though as I am more than happy with how they are performing now with all the information you and others have supplied in this thread.:):thumbsdown:

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input RasmusP....Andrew_WOT provided a link that in it states...
I have enabled surround again on my Triple Screen set up and do not really know if it is working...not to worry though as I am more than happy with how they are performing now with all the information you and others have supplied in this thread.:):thumbsdown:
As far as I understood this all you can either:
Activate gsync for one single display.
Or one virtual single display (Nvidia surround with multiple monitors being merged into one display).

So it should work to put 2 monitors into Nvidia surround and leave the hdmi monitor separately without gsync.
However I don't know how to set up the games then as I only have one monitor... :p

Upvote 0
As far as I understood this all you can either:
Activate gsync for one single display.
Or one virtual single display (Nvidia surround with multiple monitors being merged into one display).

So it should work to put 2 monitors into Nvidia surround and leave the hdmi monitor separately without gsync.
However I don't know how to set up the games then as I only have one monitor...
I have now set up my Triple Screen surround set up with the centre monitor using a Displayport cable, the two sides monitors are connected via HDMI...so technically I have just the centre monitor activated with 'FreeSync' as it does show this in the OSD.:)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years