Free Content, Future Development and Stefano Casillo Interview (Part 2)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Interview Free Content.jpg

We spoke at length with Stefano Casillo of Kunos Simulazioni about Assetto Corsa, some new free content incoming and all things racing...

The Sim Racing Expo was a wonderful opportunity for sim racers, developers, hardware manufacturers and the media to get together to celebrate the wonderful hobby we call sim racing. Thanks to the great access and atmosphere of the event we had the opportunity to chat with one of the key figures behind Assetto Corsa, Stefano Casillo, and he was more than happy to give us an insight into the behind the scenes workings at Kunos, plus revealing some exciting new free content coming to Assetto Corsa in the near future.

You can check out the interview below:

Originally planned as part of a standard paid DLC, Kunos scheduled the highly anticipated laser scanned version of Laguna Seca to release alongside a pack of new performance road cars for the simulation. Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances the launch of Laguna hit one or two delays against the original schedule, slipping to much further in the calendar year that was the intention when the announcement was first hinted at several months ago.

In something of a generous gesture from Kunos, the popular Italian developers have decided to release both circuit and accompanying cars to the base game for free, bringing with it a very popular drivers circuit and six new cars to the title.

The confirmed free bonus pack DLC will contain:
  • Laguna Seca Circuit
  • Alfa Rome Giulia QV
  • Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
  • Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
  • Lamborghini Huracan Performante
  • Maserati Quattroporte
  • Pagani Huayra BC
No exact release date has been confirmed by Kunos, however it is expected that players will be in receipt of the new content before the end of 2017.

If you missed it earlier, don't forget to check out our previous interview with Stefano where we talk about the new update and Ferrari Celebration DLC.

Assetto Corsa is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC now.

Assetto Corsa and online racing = Love! Check out our brilliant Assetto Corsa League and Club racing forum for great racing events suitable for all skills and experiences. We host regular events using popular content and guarantee a great time for all. Additionally we have a very active sub forum for the game where players can catch up on the latest news and engage with fellow community members here at RD. You can download mods from our modding archive, discuss W.I.P projects in our Modding Discussion Forum and try out a selection of car setups for a wide range of vehicles. Come on, get yourself involved in the action today!

Happy to see more free content coming to Assetto Corsa? Which car most grabs your attention from the list above? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear that the intent is still to close the gap between the PC and console versions. The Xbox One version still has many performance issues, the framerate especially online is just too variable. As a little race group we've decided to wait until the Xbox One X is released to give AC another go. One X should give something more similar to PS4 Pro performance which is pretty good now.

I agree on the need to move AC forward too, pcars2 has really upped the ante with day/night/weather and with decent FFB and there isn't much at all between the games now for me. Also @kunos it would be good if we could have your next game fully in VR rather than the external menus. I love the AC VR once in the car and yet pcars2 has taken that a step forward, both are brilliant VR games.

Good on Kunos for the free track and DLC, it's good to see some recognition of the support many of us gave the game in Early Access and beyond. AC on PC remains an exceptional experience, sadly the Xbox One version remains a rough diamond.

I guess a bit like some of the other manufacturers, if you go to Maserati and want to have certain cars in the game, they are not stupid, they might ask a lot of money for some and offer others for very little

My question would be, why on earth are cars like the Porsche SUV and some other cars in the game? They serve one purpose, marketing. No other purpose whatsoever. They are free so you can't complain, but once you have them, you drive them once then never use them again.

That to me is failed marketing, nothing more. Fair enough if you get 5 Maser's and one free 4x4 SUV. As all I think is, why are they giving me this rubbish? All I want is the good stuff I don't think bad of Kunos as I am sure they would far prefer to let us have a Bora, or Jalpa or even better one of their single make series cars. But they are seemingly saddled sometimes with stuff they are forced or can only afford to give us rather than anything else?

I guess a bit like some of the other manufacturers, if you go to Maserati and want to have certain cars in the game, they are not stupid, they might ask a lot of money for some and offer others for very little

My question would be, why on earth are cars like the Porsche SUV and some other cars in the game? They serve one purpose, marketing. No other purpose whatsoever. They are free so you can't complain, but once you have them, you drive them once then never use them again.

That to me is failed marketing, nothing more. Fair enough if you get 5 Maser's and one free 4x4 SUV. As all I think is, why are they giving me this rubbish? All I want is the good stuff I don't think bad of Kunos as I am sure they would far prefer to let us have a Bora, or Jalpa or even better one of their single make series cars. But they are seemingly saddled sometimes with stuff they are forced or can only afford to give us rather than anything else?

Perhaps... and this is a completely wild shot in the dark... but perhaps licensing is far more complex than simply contacting a license holder and saying, "I want this car, and this car, and this car. No others. Oh, and I also want it for exactly this price. Not a dollar more!"

• ronniej

First class outfit since the beginning...Great to hear Stefano talk about the future, look forward to anything auto related from this group.
* I will have to open the wallet and fly to the next expo with the wife and see if I can get an autographed AC t-shirt!
There isn't any AC merchandise store online is there?

Last edited by a moderator:
do you also need some cleaning work done in your house? I am free this weekend.. I could totally do that if you bought AC.. :rolleyes: sounds like a good idea.

You guys definitely should consider paying us if we buy your game. Seems fair to me.

On a serious note, I want an TECH PREVIEW soon! One car, one track, night, rain, pitbabes...

If they are to move onto AC2 or whatever their new project is called, I wonder what the game engine will be? Would they make a whole new one? Would they evolve the current AC1 engine? Or would they licence an engine from somewhere else?

If they are to move onto AC2 or whatever their new project is called, I wonder what the game engine will be? Would they make a whole new one? Would they evolve the current AC1 engine? Or would they licence an engine from somewhere else?

From what I know about Stefano's streams I'm almost positive that it would be a homegrown thing.

• ronniej

I'm actually relieved to hear that Stephano is still on board. After certain messages over the last years it was hard to estimate if he would quit the industry or not and as there are not many talented people that code for us simracers I'm very glad he seems to stay :D
This^

part of me hopes the current AC content will be ported across to AC2 from the get go - I know its unlikely but it would be a great way to boost AC2 content from the off.

I do acknowledge the issues however, such as "just buy AC1 for those cars" - but yano, dreams and all.

also @kunos you best keep that camera/photo mode ;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 271 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 396 40.0%