Fredric Aasbø's Formula Drift Toyota Supra

Download beta release here: http://racedemon.com/downloads/supra_aasbo_beta.rar

A few days ago I helped my friend, Fredric Aasbø getting his 2011 livery ready in time for the car being shipped abroad. With his new main sponsor, Fredric will compete inn all the rounds in the US Formula Drift championship. The car was painted with the basic livery, then I cut all the graphics and had them applied to the car. It turned out pretty bad ass, so I went home, dug out the Supra I once had donated to me by Some1, and got to work.

As usual, I also bothered Cosmo a lot, and once again he did an amazing job on the ini. There are still a couple of issues to iron out (basically getting the car to handle the way I want without using ridiculous values), but we're very close!

Unfortunately, I can't show you guys the new livery just yet, as it's not official, so I took last years car for a photoshoot instead. And as I don't want to piss off his new sponsor, I'll probably release the car with the old skin, and have the new one as a separate download a bit later ;)

Here are some pics of the car as it sits right now. How about them wheels? :D
(all images are 1920x1200, straight from Racer)

Awesomnesss! looks totally amazing! it will have Orido's skin aswell?
the wheels are great! but! i think they need to be biger, and more smaller profile tho..

Awesomnesss! looks totally amazing! it will have Orido's skin aswell?
the wheels are great! but! i think they need to be biger, and more smaller profile tho..

Not sure about Orido's skin. Maybe :)

The wheels are actually perfectly measured and scaled (unlike most game wheels). Fredric is a good friend of mine, and I got all the specs for his wheels (and of course the car). He will be running 295/40-18's on 12" rims this year! He called them drag wheels, as they have a high sidewall and not much stretch. My wheels are scaled correctly to the mm, then I actually streched the tires a bit so that they are in fact more like 275/35-18's, which is closer to what he ran last year...

Made some major updates the last couple of days. As this car is based on Some1's model, life isn't as hard as it could be. However, I tend to make things harder for myself, so rather than just keeping everything as they were, I updated all the light models, remapped loads of stuff, made a full cage, added a driver and even made a new steering wheel from scratch. I've also repainted the wheels and added some nice Supra calipers.

Most of the time I've been testing though. I've probably done several hundred laps on Carlswood to fine tune the handling. It's been close to perfect for a while, but there are still a few issues to sort out. It may seem as though a racer.ini change will be required for optimal handling, as the slip angles can't really cope too well with 90° entries and lighting up the tires in 4th... :p

Oh, and I played with the smoke settings in particle.ini so that it actually behaves like smoke :D

Here are some screens, showing - among other things - the new incar driving view.

Incar view:

Proper smoking burnout:

Another view of the incar model:

Driver and interior from the outside:

Some sweet new wheel colors and calipers:

Today's been a very interesting day, as I got a visit from Fredric Aasbø himself. Actually he came around to add some facebook stuff to his website, but we ended up working on the website for 15 minutes, and playing Racer for 9 hours :D

His feedback was both exciting and accurate. He has a bit of experience drifting in LFS, so he quickly got used to my G25 and mastered the driving with no real problems at all. His first comment was that it was by far the most realistic sim/game he had ever driven, and that the basic handling of the Supra was spot on. After a while, he started to notice the same issues as me.

First of all, it's hard to get the balance right between lateral and longditudnal grip/slip. I've done a lot of testing, and I always seem to have to compromise a little. To get the car stable enough at great slip angles, I will have to sacrifice some straight line stability. After some tweaking, we managed to end up with a setting that allows enough traction to push the rear out, while still maintaining enough lateral grip to prevent spinning out.

He also provided me with the dyno curves of the current engine. Needless to say, they are pretty awesome! How about 830nm@5000rpm / 635hk@6000rpm at the wheels on stock Supra internals!

He also commented on stuff like engine and wheel inertia, and felt that everything basically feels too light in Racer. The engine revs to fast and the wheels stop spinning and regaining grip too fast when lifting of mid drift. In fact, most inertia values in the ini is now way higher than what we started with. Cosmo° did a fantastic job with the base ini, so most of the other values are spot on. But for some reason, inertias in Racer seems to be a bit off. Maybe it's not, but I've decided to go by feel only on this car. If I have to manipulate a few values to get it right, I will...

Finally he pointed out a few issues with the front suspension. At the moment it's a bit too low and stiff, making the car bounce too much when cutting over curbs etc. In real life, his car is quite high and soft to cope with bumpy tracks and curbs. Cosmo° got some good feedback and has allready started making new suspension curves based on the details we got from Fredric.

All in all, we've made great progress. We even found time to finish up the final touches on the livery, recreating the design from the last round at Irwindale. At the moment it looks mint, but trust me, by the time I release it, you'll know whose car it is :D

IMG_0459.jpg
Testing the Supra

wow!!! i gues this was so exiding! i am full of emotions now! this is how the cars should be made for the game! :D

Outstanding job as usual FSR, you are my hero! :)

Chucky earns his name...

Fredric's Supra is actually known as "Chucky" in the Formula Drift scene. The reason is rather obvious, as Fredric's idea of "show finish" is to tape the bumper together and attach it with zip ties. I've always enjoyed making non-perfect textures. It probably started with the rusty Mini skin way back in the day. Then the Formula Ford with all the ducked tape and the ratty VW pick up. Now it's time to wreck Some1's Supra - Aasbø style :D

Here's a real pic of the car from the final round at Irwindale. Fredric thinks it looks mint in this pic :D

Next up are the 5zigen wheels and his Simpson Bandit helmet. The physics and shaders are basically finished, thanks to the amazing Cosmo°. I can't thank him enough for his help! If was him, I would have blocked myself from MSN a looong time ago ;)

Edit: And I just noticed I have to fix the Falken sticker on the right side...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 289 13.4%