France, Germany Return in Provisional F1 2018 Schedule

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Formula One 2018 Schedule Announced.jpg

The FIA have confirmed 21 Grand Prix for next season's Formula One World Championship, including a return of the popular French and German events.

Agreed and approved during the latest FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting in Geneva, the 2018 calendar will once again see the number of Grand Prix rise to 21 during the course of the season, and includes a welcome return to the fold of the French Grand Prix, to be held at the heavily redeveloped Circuit Paul Ricard as the race returns to Formula One for the first time in a decade following the decline of the popular but sparsely attended French Grand Prix at Magny Cours.

“We are proud to confirm that the German and French Grands Prix will take place in 2018. France was one of the seven races that made up the first ever World Championship in 1950 and it now returns after a decade. It will be held at the Paul Ricard circuit, which last hosted a round of the F1 Championship in 1990" Said Formula One Chairman and CEO Chase Carey.​

Jean Todt, President of the FIA commented: “Alongside our partners in Formula 1 and across the FIA’s major championships we have been working hard in recent months to achieve greater harmony among the various sporting calendars and reaching an early agreement on the 2018 Formula 1 schedule is part of this ongoing process.

“The FIA would also like to welcome back the French and German Grands Prix to the calendar, as both have a long and rich tradition in the sport.” he added. “In that regard the FIA is particularly pleased that Formula One will once again return to France, the historic home of Grand Prix racing, and to the Circuit Paul Ricard, which last hosted the event in 1990.”
The agreement of the calendar for next season has come at a much earlier date that in usual in Formula One this year, signifying yet another impact of the new ownership and management structure within Grand Prix racing since the departure of Bernie Ecclestone from the top of the commercial food chain. What is more, it appears from a statement by the new owners of Formula One that several other countries have expressed a serious interest in hosting a race in the near future, making the possibility of a race schedule reaching and suppassing the 25 Grand Prix in a season mark ever closer in years to come.

“The number of races has increased by one compared to the current season" said Carey. "We received numerous requests from those wishing to host a Formula 1 Grand Prix but we wanted the existing promoters to feel that we are putting all our efforts into ensuring that each race is a special event, so that the fans, our most important stakeholders, can enjoy a unique and unforgettable experience. If we can do that, then the entire Formula 1 family will reap the benefit.”
Of the 21 events scheduled for next season, eleven will take place in the traditional European heartland of Formula One, with a further five in Asia, four in the Americas and one in Australia. It is no secret amongst the Grand Prix community that Formula One wish to extent their presence in the United States, with several attempts to launch Grand Prix having either failed to materialise, or in the case of Indianapolis having failed to gel with the American public and then quickly finding itself as a footnote in the history of the sport.

Carey and co have shown a willingness to adopt new and bold strategies in their management of the sport so far, and looking to further increase the number of races held in a single season is something that is actively being considered within the corridors of power inside the sport. With more races comes more expenditure and a need for greater man power amongst the current field of teams, which in a climate where budget control and spend management are at a premium appears on the surface to fly in the face of the current thinking of the sports power brokers. However if Liberty Media can leverage the additional revenue to help provide a larger piece of the financial pie for the teams within the Formula One family, a move to expand the calendar from its current 20 race schedule might help provide a much needed financial boost as well as bringing the sport to yet more fans around the world.

Sometimes in life less is more, and an over exposure of the sport could have a negative impact on the prestige of what is widely considered to be the pinnacle of motorsports throughout the world, only time will tell.

2018 Formula One Grand Prix Calendar

25 March - Melbourne, Australia
8 April - Shanghai, China
15 April - Sakhir, Bahrain
29 April - Baku, Azerbaijan
13 May - Barcelona, Spain
27 May - Monaco, Monaco
10 June - Montreal, Canada
24 June - Le Castellet, France
1 July - Spielberg, Austria
8 July - Silverstone, Great Britain
22 July - Hockenheim, Germany
29 July - Budapest, Hungary
26 August - Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
2 September - Monza, Italy
16 September - Singapore, Singapore
30 September - Sochi, Russia
7 October - Suzuka, Japan
21 October - Austin, USA
28 October - Mexico City, Mexico
11 November - Sao Paulo, Brazil
25 November - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi

The Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for all the latest news and discussions regarding the world of Grand Prix racing. Head over today and get yourself involved in the action with our RaceDepartment community!

Happy with the new calendar? Pleased to see more European events added? Which tracks would you like to see added to the schedule in future years? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Of the 21 events scheduled for next season, eleven will take place in the traditional European heartland of Formula One, with a further five in Asia, four in the Americas and one in Australia. It is no secret amongst the Grand Prix community that Formula One wish to extent their presence in the United States, with several attempts to launch Grand Prix having either failed to materialise, or in the case of Indianapolis having failed to gel with the American public and then quickly finding itself as a footnote in the history of the sport.

Corporations in America might as well be foreign entities. We are only now coming to grips with the disconnection they desire from America, while using U.S. law (patent) to gouge the consumer and ship jobs off to China. So, I'd not really see Liberty as if they act for America, because they don't.

But who needs who here? That Indy debacle only reinforced stereotypes that F1 was perpetrated by a bunch of elitist lightweights. Not saying I agree with it, but F1 did a great job of reinforcing it.

With 360 million people, it's a very diverse place. In the right venue and with the right ownership (not hostile, like Todt and Bernie are), F1 can and will thrive in America. We are not a fickle bunch, but quite the opposite. IndyCar was basically frozen in time during the 90s and early 2000s. I sort of wish F1 had been.

What F1 needs right now is not a car/team/driver revolution, but a track revolution. The tracks they have now are boring, slow, and flow like bad case of constipation. If F1 could burden itself to run on exciting, old, and, yes, dangerous (gasp) tracks, much like in Australia and the U.S., then the better off they will be. A win-win would be, however, an American-feeling track in Europe, like Brands (since it's been sort of frozen too).

I agree with Liberty, however, that F1 is Europe, and Europe is F1. No getting around it...might as well embrace it. Liberty promised a Euro-focus, and has just delivered.

While you are at it, 'splain to me how billionaires deserve a month off in August?

Last edited:
While you are at it, 'splain to me how billionaires deserve a month off in August?

It was something that was introduced a few years back. When the season started to increase in rounds at a dramatic rate (I think it went from 16 to 20 in a year) the FIA decided that to try and give the teams a break so they enforced a "non-running" rule for a three/four week period during the season. It's really to try and give the mechanics and team more than anything a break from the worldwide travelling. The teams are told to shut down for that month and in a way it does work. The teams get a break ready for the second half of the year.

The teams literately lock their doors for one month. The teams seem to like it and as a mechanic I would imagine it's great to have the time to spend with family and so on. So it was used as an experiment and it seems to have stuck.

The larger teams still do promotional activities with the drivers but testing or any sort of running is banned. However I seem to remember one of teams got into trouble last year for running their car for a promotional video. Can't remember the details though!

It's not the billionaires that are getting a month off, it's the people that work for them. I'm not sure how much the Sauber mechanics get paid but I do feel like they deserve some relief after having to take care of all those expensive toys and travelling the world at speeds faster then evolution possibly prepared us for.

Cheer for Hockenheim :thumbsup::inlove:. Paul Ricard, ok well why not. It's European and suits F1. Bernie did a good deal there.
I would like to see 2 venues at each country, opposite to the "unique event" thought, I think a boost in venues would help popularity. So for example, Spa and Zolder, Magny-Cours and Paul Ricard, Hockenheim and Nurburg (endurance layout? :geek:), Zandvoort and Assen, Spielberg and Oschersleben, Silverstone and I dont know, Thruxton? Oh wait I am dreaming off again, ....not going to happen. For me F1 = Europe and should stay there. And if cars are too excessive for smaller tracks, like Zolder, create a sub division F1 with the same pilots but less exceptional cars....bring F1 back to the people, not only the jetset. If you catch my drift....anyways good to have Hockenheim back.

Couldn't care less about the Hockenheim return (saying that as a German), track is only a shadow of its former self. And nice to see a parking lot finding its way into the calendar, should give the stewards some work regarding track limits. Rather would've kept Sepang than having these two added tbh.

I would rather take Nurburgring back wich is more original and feel's motorsport-track than almost totally demolished Hockenheim. Track was original and like no other, then it turned to this audience need to see everything from one stand Mickey Mouse track, it doesn't have anymore anykind of soul like the old did. Back in the day driver's attacked in to the forest from first corner with flat wings that who got the ball's, and then they came back from forest from other side with howling engines, full speed... Total shame how they treated that legendary track, only the small remaining part and name Hockenheim says it's Hockenheim. But it isn't... The name Hockenheim yell's that it need's to be something else, with a lot of speed, like the old one, in the forest...

why yas marina ?? its a nice track

I managed to save up and attend the race back in 2013.

Ok, it's not the most amazing circuit in the world but as far as a venue goes it simply is unreal. The location, the facilities, concerts every night, Ferrari World and so on. A great weekend and certainly one that I will remember fondly. It is a fun circuit though (at least they can pass one another if they have a go) and the grandstand layout is quite clever as you get very close to the cars.

I was also intrigued by the amount of very attractive women at the venue :geek:..unfortunately most of them were with their millionaire boyfriends....:laugh::)

I would rather take Nurburgring back wich is more original and feel's motorsport-track than almost totally demolished Hockenheim. Track was original and like no other, then it turned to this audience need to see everything from one stand Mickey Mouse track, it doesn't have anymore anykind of soul like the old did. Back in the day driver's attacked in to the forest from first corner with flat wings that who got the ball's, and then they came back from forest from other side with howling engines, full speed... Total shame how they treated that legendary track, only the small remaining part and name Hockenheim says it's Hockenheim. But it isn't... The name Hockenheim yell's that it need's to be something else, with a lot of speed, like the old one, in the forest...
I had no idea, still thought it was like that. What a shame :cry::(

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 356 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years