Framerate in R3E and optimizing with nvidiaInspector

R3E used to run very smoothly on my system (2 x GTX 460 in sli7 970 CPU) But lately I have seen a lot of tearing a low frame rate. At least, that's what it looks like because I am unable to bring up a framerate display in game. The old CTRL-F doesn't seem to work and neither do a bunch of other key combos I have tried. How do I bring up my framerates in R3E?

Additionally, I was wondering if maybe overclocking my cards with nvidia Inspector would be a good idea. Problem is, I am a bit of a pussy with OC and I have been unable to figure out the best optimization and OC with nvidia Inspector.

Is there a tutorial someplace I can follow?? The ones I found seem to be leaving out a lot of smaller things, assuming readers already know about them.

Thanks.

PS: I have read someplace that R3E doesn't work well with SLI. Thing is that I have read the same thing with iRacing, but when I doubled up my cards, I gained a huge amount of framerates and if I take the secondary card offline I go back to the low framerate I had before, so it must be doing something. Maybe the same is true for R3E?

I've spoke about this an another thread but for me shadow split knocks fps by around 15. The catch is it looks rubbish with out it when racing sunset races.

I also found that nvidia control panel settings does not work on rre. So I can't use nvidias aa af settings etc.

Thanks for the reply guys. Indeed I d have shadow split deactivated and reflections are low.

I also have fraps. I must be one of the 2 people that actually owns a copy, but I stopped using it when I was raging GTR2 and it was crashing my system.

Is there any other way for R3E to display the frame rates on screen? I'd like to try to optimize it, but I don't want to relay only on my perception. I'd like to quantify losses and gains a bit ore precisely.

I have also read that nVidia CP settings don't work with R3E. maybe someone from the devs can chime in?

Thanks for the reply guys. Indeed I d have shadow split deactivated and reflections are low.

I also have fraps. I must be one of the 2 people that actually owns a copy, but I stopped using it when I was raging GTR2 and it was crashing my system.

Is there any other way for R3E to display the frame rates on screen? I'd like to try to optimize it, but I don't want to relay only on my perception. I'd like to quantify losses and gains a bit ore precisely.

I have also read that nVidia CP settings don't work with R3E. maybe someone from the devs can chime in?
Fraps works for me with no problems, been using it with RRE for over a year

atm im a little disheartened with Rre. Ive just bought a new GTX 970 and even though im on a i3, on shadow of mordor I can get a smooth 60fps in ultra (apart shadows high). In RRe I can barely get 50 at Germany and that's after turning off shadows split , reflections blur, shadows to med, aax2. Its ridiculous I bought this card to get my primary games (sims) to a great level of detail. Ac is still a beast to run for me due to its overuse of effects (but its ai is a turnoff itself!).. and atm my fav is gsc, it looks so smooth its a joy to play and in its highest settings. Nvidias new DSR setting also can have this the slickest looking sim out there. thing is I like the art style of rre and imo opinion can look the best of the crop IF it gets some TLC to the visuals and framerate.
Come one S3S please lets look at the gfx here now and do some optimizing please :)
because im putting this one down for a bit im afraid,

atm im a little disheartened with Rre. Ive just bought a new GTX 970 and even though im on a i3, on shadow of mordor I can get a smooth 60fps in ultra (apart shadows high). In RRe I can barely get 50 at Germany and that's after turning off shadows split , reflections blur, shadows to med, aax2. Its ridiculous I bought this card to get my primary games (sims) to a great level of detail. Ac is still a beast to run for me due to its overuse of effects (but its ai is a turnoff itself!).. and atm my fav is gsc, it looks so smooth its a joy to play and in its highest settings. Nvidias new DSR setting also can have this the slickest looking sim out there. thing is I like the art style of rre and imo opinion can look the best of the crop IF it gets some TLC to the visuals and framerate.
Come one S3S please lets look at the gfx here now and do some optimizing please :)
because im putting this one down for a bit im afraid,
Don't quote me but the i3 might be the bottleneck. I have the 780 with a i5 2500k and I get 70-80 fps with everything maxed except shadow split and possibly something else. I'll let you know my settings when I get home tonight. But you you can see it running at 60 fps in my vid here
ignore the occasional stuttering. That's because of shadowplay recording. It's as smooth as butter when playing.

I just did some experimenting with DSR and I was pleasantly surprises. Heres a vid of the game running at 3840x2400 (4x , 33% smoothing) with all settings on max except the following:
FXAA - off
Multisampling - x2
Contact shadows - 6
Motion Blur - off
Shadow split - off
Corner markers - off

I was surprised to see I was getting between 55 and 65 fps with 15 cars on the track. Maybe Laguna Seca isnt too resourse intensive? Dont mind the driving. I was just testing the graphics settings

try hockenheim that seems to be the worst for me and suzuka.

Would getting a i5 be worth the money, As is mentioned in mordor my fps is outstanding. Would the 160£ actually benefirt the gains? or is rre badly optimised,

Please im new in pc gaming well 2 years so the building side is bit intimidating for me.

Last edited:
I'm running brand new GTX970 + i5 something and it's very smooth (at least for my eyes)
I tested several races on GT Master tracks with 23 cars / almost all settings at max / race on the evening (as far as I know, this timeframe is the most demanding) and could keep 60fps all race long.

However, I activated Vsync. Otherwise, even if FRAPS indicated always more than 60fps, I had some strutterings.

By the way, I have 2 questions:
- I done a test turning off "Shadow splitt" and shadows on the walls were ugly big blocks. Is it normal? (I can't see it in the videos above. Shadows look normal)
- Where is this nice DSR function? In the Geforce 3D options standard menu?

i get some drops too same card, on i3. Split has to be turned off and yes the shadows look awful without it.. Ive made a thread about my opinions on shadows etc.

DSR in mine has to be set globally which is the reason i didnt use in the end.

DSR in mine has to be set globally which is the reason i didnt use in the end.

It's set globally but it won't take any effect until you set the higher resolution in the game itself.

I have a i5 4690k and a new 970. I've been testing some settings with R3E. Running everything max bar reflections. That's with 8xAA. I get a few dips under 60fps when watching replays, Monza being the main culprit for me. Seems solid from cockpit view though which is the main thing.

Would getting a i5 be worth the money, As is mentioned in mordor my fps is outstanding. Would the 160£ actually benefirt the gains? or is rre badly optimised,

Please im new in pc gaming well 2 years so the building side is bit intimidating for me.
Some games are more CPU intensive, others are GPU limited. Perhaps that's why Mordor runs so well i.e. it's not so demanding on the CPU? Not saying this is definitely the reason for your issues, but, when other people with 970s and 780s are getting great performance when paired with an i5 CPU it does suggest your i3 is a bottleneck.

I've said this before but I think there are some settings in R3E that really push the CPU. Maybe this needs optimising, I don't know.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 74 12.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 53 8.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.9%