Framerate drops with headlight?

I'm having issues with the headlights. If I set headlights on high or even medium I get fps drops no matter what the other settings are. So even if I set everything to low but keep headlights at high, I get really bad fps drops. I am using gtr2 hq anniversary patch. Any ideas/solutions?

The recommended setting is MEDIUM because there is a 15 years old glitch on HIGH : cockpit is blinking when AI is just behind you.

What is your graphic card ?
Did you enable all cores of your cpu ?

I am nearly closed to release 15.6...well it is ready for upload today but just looked at your post so maybe I can reduce hq headlights resolution ? Do you have this issue with all cars (base+your mods) or only with HQ 2003-2005 ?

Well, I have made tests and reducing headlights textures size doesn't boost framerate a lot and it looks more blurry (meuuuh effect) : from 1024x1024 to 512x512 I have +6 fps so it doesn't worth it.
On the contrary, reducing AI opponents with slider can increase fps much more.

The recommended setting is MEDIUM because there is a 15 years old glitch on HIGH : cockpit is blinking when AI is just behind you.

What is your graphic card ?
Did you enable all cores of your cpu ?

I am nearly closed to release 15.6...well it is ready for upload today but just looked at your post so maybe I can reduce hq headlights resolution ? Do you have this issue with all cars (base+your mods) or only with HQ 2003-2005 ?
Well, I have made tests and reducing headlights textures size doesn't boost framerate a lot and it looks more blurry (meuuuh effect) : from 1024x1024 to 512x512 I have +6 fps so it doesn't worth it.
On the contrary, reducing AI opponents with slider can increase fps much more.
I play gtr2 on my laptop (ryzen 5 3550h and GTX 1650). Yes I think I'll just run it on medium. I tried to reduce the cars but I think on the mod tracks the setting to reduce visible cars does not work causing fps drops. Thank you for everything you have done for this gem of a game. It's absolutely amazing stuff. Also yes I enabled all the cores using bill2's process manager

Last edited:
Your graphic card is powerful enough but are you sure you have selected it for gtr2 ? On some laptops you must go in your video driver and select gpu for each game EXE otherwise the pc won't use gpu.

I hope you're using a software or Crew Chief to enable all cores.
That's the first thing to do if it's not done yet .... in order to get better fps results. ;)

I hope you're using a software or Crew Chief to enable all cores.
That's the first thing to do if it's not done yet .... in order to get better fps results. ;)
All cores will help, but not solve performance of shadows, headlights and rain. Those are single core bound :( that said, latest CC beta plugin allows disabling rain reflections, which makes game always playable in rain

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 435 39.5%