Frame Drops Issue

Im getting weird fps problems lately and its driving me crazy, the fps just drops to like 30fps when i drove to certain part of the track. It not only happen on one ciruit, it happens to all circuit ive tested, the laggy parts are also seems to be random everytime you load up the track. The lag issue only appears after you drove the track for the second lap.

The image ive provided also shows that the one of the cpu cores is tanking and the gpu is only around 60% when the fps drops to 30

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-12 103938.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-12 103938.png
    738.7 KB · Views: 89
Maybe your CPU or graphic card are getting tired. I also had the same problem some time ago. I upgraded my CPU to a i7 10700KF and now the performance is more consistent.
Yeah im also suspecting its my cpu too, the frames stays at stable 50 to 60 in replays. But im also suspecting there is something running in game that may be causing the problem as it didnt seem to be anything caused by graphics

i5-8250U = laptop.
Mysterious performance drop while just doing the same ol' stuff on a laptop = strong suspicion that dust has built up in the cooling ducts.

Removing dust can be anywhere between semi-trivial (blow through the ducts really hard but without spitting, and probably close your eyes while doing so, or just remove the cover and hoover it) and stupidly hard (dismantle it entirely and remove the heat sink assembly).

I cleaned a family member's Asus gaming laptop a few weeks ago and found that shocking levels of dust had built up (see pic - almost like felt pads!). Because of a truly stupid design, which totally hides the dust build-up under the fan assemblies, it was a massive ordeal to sort it out and in fact we wouldn't even have known about the dust if one of the fans hadn't been squeaking - so we bought a replacement. Needless to say, with the dust removed the performance was dramatically better...

Incidentally, I won't ever be buying another Asus laptop. Firstly, they don't provide even the most basic of drawings & parts lists, much less disassembly manuals. Secondly, who designs a laptop so dust removal (or even inspection) is that hard? Good grief.

dusty heat sink.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years