Frame drops during day/night transition

Hi all

Been having some issues with frame drops during dusk, day/night transition. I can play the game at pretty high settings and get smooth fps during all weather conditions. But as soon as the sun starts to go down I get frame rates dropping at certain points of the track. Happens on all tracks as far as I can tell. I have tried reducing light bloom effects, but doesn't help. Anyone any idea what settings to mess with to see if I can sort this? Cheers.

Ryzen 3600
16 Gb running at 3600
Sapphire Pulse 5700xt
Game installed on SSD.

Does it really transition from day to night? I'm currently doing a 6HR endurance at Paul Ricard starting at 6pm. It's 8:32 pm and the sun doesn't look like it's setting anytime soon. Practically looks like it's 6:30.
In terms of fps drops, mine seems to start stuttering if I stay paused for a bit and then continue my drive. I'd have to quit session and resume for my fps to go back to the way it is.

Think it depends on when the race would be held in the season. Races that would be held in the height of summer will get darker later.

I'm still no further forward with this. Put a fair bit of time in yesterday on the new tracks and was getting this on both Laguna and Kyalami. I've figured out it's only when the sun is moving. Once it's fully light or fully dark the problem goes away.

Oh and I searched for the HPET setting and it's turned off on my windows as standard and I couldn't find the setting in BIOS.

• Deleted member 379375

I have this issue too , my machine is a bit marginal ,I put it down to the increased number and length of shadows as it happens as the sun is at it's lowest.

I'm thinking it must be something in the settings that's causing it, but I can't nail it down. My machine is new and well above recommended specs, pretty much everything set to Epic, 1440p res and runs no problem during day/night /rain etc but the transitions are causing me problems.

I'll maybe try messing with the shadow settings again

Any news on this issue?
I'm having the same problem and my system is pretty beefy too.
AMD Ryzen 3700X
32 GB 3200 MHz
RTX 2070 Super
No overclocking

Custom graphics settings with some at Epic and some (like mirror) at mid.
GPU stays at well under 75C and the CPU stays at 69C

I've noticed these issues too. I'm pretty sure it is due to having both the sun and headlights both being active shadow casters. Not a lot you can do about it other than reduce shadow detail or other settings so that there is enough headroom not to frame drop at these times.

I think it's related to light reflections trough the foliage, if you put the foliage and foliage lod on the lowest the problem goes away. - I can even let the shadows on high.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 239 14.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.0%