RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I was about to say something to express disappointment, but thinking about it; it was sort of an honor to see the old surface off into the sunset. I'm about give the track a run, just to see if it feels different.

I gave it a run last night at Red Bull, just for gits and shiggles...

It would have made a huge difference in the race. It seems that there is more engine braking in the car, thus lessening the load on the brakes. I just ran a couple of laps and my times were not significantly better than Tuesdays but I felt a lot more confident driving it. I am sure if I took a few more laps I could have shaved significant time off my lap.

Dunno it that is better though. The concentration needed to drive that car Tuesday, and the good chance that on any lap you could loop it, made successfully finishing the race, and dicing with other cars, more satisfying IMO.

That being said I would not mind doing another race in that car.

Mitchell if your brand new to sim racing, your going to have a hard time trying to control these GTO cars, they are a handful (750 hp Nissan, all wheel drive in the Audi, Mustang bieng a Ford;))?
Maybe you should wait for an easier race car to get your sim racing career started on?

I tested all of them last night and they can be a handful for those who are not used to that type of car. That being said, as long as he takes it easy, learns the foibles of the cars and practices, he may have a good time.

On another note: I tested all three cars and was able to turn comparable lap times. I am gonna stick with the Mustang though because the turbos require more shifting to keep the revs up. In the Mustang the only corner you need to shift into second is the Carousel. Due to the low-end torque of the Mustang you can take every other corner in 3rd or 4th and still come out quicker than the Nissan or Audi. I think it also has a higher terminal speed on the back straight too.

Mitchell if your brand new to sim racing, your going to have a hard time trying to control these GTO cars, they are a handful (750 hp Nissan, all wheel drive in the Audi, Mustang bieng a Ford;))?
Maybe you should wait for an easier race car to get your sim racing career started on?
Please remember we welcome all levels of skill and experience. No one is discouraged to participate.

I tested all of them last night and they can be a handful for those who are not used to that type of car. That being said, as long as he takes it easy, learns the foibles of the cars and practices, he may have a good time.

On another note: I tested all three cars and was able to turn comparable lap times. I am gonna stick with the Mustang though because the turbos require more shifting to keep the revs up. In the Mustang the only corner you need to shift into second is the Carousel. Due to the low-end torque of the Mustang you can take every other corner in 3rd or 4th and still come out quicker than the Nissan or Audi. I think it also has a higher terminal speed on the back straight too.

Luke: I have the same concerns. If there was a sim equivalent of the "24 Hours of Lemons" I would be all over it. ;) Seriously, how do I get experience racing against human opponents rather than AI? From everything I have read the AIs are kinda wonky.

2112: I do plan to practice as much as possible between now and the race. The G29 arrives today and I purchased the American track pack and the GTO Classic pack to get some practice over the next few days.

Well theirs your problem right there Bud! Might be time to take over in that department :)

I'm worried about the head gasket but at the same time not. The van did not overheat and no loss of power. And when I got home there was very little smoke from the exhaust. A metric ton of smoke shot out when I hit about 55mph though but then stops immediately after I slow down. The oil is also still translucent brown/amber. It does not look like chocolate or peanut butter.

I am hoping that maybe the water pump seal failed. Because I can't do a $2000 repair even with my salary.

I’m definitely interested in signing up. The time slot would normally work for me as I’m in Austin, TX. However, this coming week I have family staying with me from England and I’ll get shot if I disappear to go simracing! Is this the sort of league where you get penalized for missing races or is it more of a week by week, drop in sort of affair? If so, I’m definitely interested and would love to join for future races.
These are week-by-week "fun" races with no obligations. Make it if you can or miss it if you must.

About headphones. I remember some sort of bug/defect that had chat volumes extra low on Windows 10. I had to significantly lower Raceroom's volume just to hear everyone in Team Speak. Is there a way to boost the volume in TS, or would it make better sense to stick with lowering the sim's sounds and leaving TS (and crew chief) at the defaults?

Tested the 3 cars at Mid Ohio. I'm having trouble launching and quickly shifting in both the Audi and the Nissan. The Mustang gets the job done off the line, but it's a little tempermental when I shift too quickly. This is going to be interesting, using flappy padles and a clutch pedal to drive an H-pattern gearbox. LOL

Luke: I have the same concerns. If there was a sim equivalent of the "24 Hours of Lemons" I would be all over it. ;) Seriously, how do I get experience racing against human opponents rather than AI? From everything I have read the AIs are kinda wonky.

2112: I do plan to practice as much as possible between now and the race. The G29 arrives today and I purchased the American track pack and the GTO Classic pack to get some practice over the next few days.

This is not meant to be discouragement, but encouragement so please take it as such.

Those cars are difficult to drive. They do not have anti-lag, ABS, Stability Control, ect...You will have to stay on your toes as you test. Be aware that the turbo's will have lag (the turbo is still spooling thus not giving power) and when that lag ends you will have a rocket on your hands. Be prepared and do not power out of corners until you are confident you can anticipate and account for lag. Once you do that you can tromp on the accelerator to your hearts content.

The Mustang, on the other hand, is wild coming out of a corner because the torque is NOW! Never tromp on the accelerator unless your front wheels are straight and you are hanging on tight.

The brakes are not the best compared to newer cars so you must account for that. Also suspensions are a but different.

Take it easy until you get some seat time under your belt in these cars. It will not take long to learn but it will take a long time to master. Be patient. If you get discouraged grab a newer car (GT3 woudl be best) and use it to learn how to drive the track then go back with the TA cars and adjust accordingly.

You could be a unicorn for all we know, and kick our butts. No way to know unless you are in there. Good luck!

I'm brand new to sim racing
I think this is the perfect race to start on! You have a great built in excuse if things don't go right:D Just do some practice with the AI and see if somebody has a reasonably stable setup. Dont try to win, just have a good time and enjoy the ride. If we can't keep out of the way then too bad for us and that is racing. It's a club race and there is no better place to get your feet wet. When David gets the server up make sure to practice on the actual server and if somebody else is out there practice racing against them. Use team speak and I'm sure whoever is on there can give you a bit of help if you need it or at least some practice. Make sure to practice the starts and also the pit stops and it will get rid of a lot of frustration. Most of all, drive slow enough to keep the car on the track and have some fun!!:) (we all started somewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 350 28.2%