FPS problems without Hardware Limit

RasmusP

Premium
Hi,
since two weeks ago I'm having some strange issues and I don't know why.
CPU is chilling, GPU is running circles around the game but I can't reach 60 fps... Didn't change anything, disabled all apps and I can recreate it with replays.
If you have any idea just post it, I will try anything :)
(yes, I have every setting on max, since my Hardware should handle it...)
I7 2600k @4.4 GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, GTX 1070. Win 7 64 bit

Here is a Screenshot of my CPU & GPU loads along with the fps counter:
FPSdrops1.JPG

Last edited:
Has this occurred since 1.14.4 update.
Does the problem occur on other sims..
Do you run 144hz !
What happens running the bench mark.
  • 1.14.4: I don't know, didn't realize an update after the big one with AI changes. But it occurs since littel over two weeks, not before that.
  • other sims: nope, just AC
  • 144 Hz: nope, single 27" 60 Hz Monitor in 1080p
  • Benchmark: will try and report back!
EDIT: reporting back:
this is my Benchmark result (the min FPS are clearly a loading "error", watched it the whole time, not one time below 100 fps!

AC VERSION: 1.14.4 (x64)
FPS: AVG=104 MIN=11 MAX=136 VARIANCE=2 CPU=82%

LOADING TIME: 21s
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (1920x1080)
OS-Version: 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1) 0x100-0x1
CPU CORES: 8
FULLSCREEN: ON
AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:2048 BLUR:0
WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:5
PP: QLT:5 HDR:1 FXAA:0 GLR:5 DOF:0 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

The limiting factor here was clearly the GPU. I run 4x SGSSAA through inspector and GPU load was at 98% the whole time.
What I find interesting is that the CPU shows 82% but when I look at my Riva Tuner statistics it looks like that:
AC_Benchmark1.JPG

So it is the worse when at starting grid of Multiplayer. GPU and CPU are both not even near their limit and the Benchmark is totally fine... I think I need to ask this at the official Forum too:cautious:

Last edited:
EDIT: Problem NOT solved... I didn't activate all apps (they got deactivated) plus Mirror and Reflexions weren't back to max setting. Stuttering again... It seems like the AC-Engine can't handle too much drawcalls and can't access all power of my CPU :(
It seems like I modified some of these settings in the last weeks without really noticing it. Will try to reach the perfect settings :)

Okay, problem solved by deleting (renamed) the Assetto Corsa folder in the Documents.
I have no idea why but it was mentioned at the official forum so I gave it a go. I have NO idea how that solves anything because I copied all my customized files back into the newly created folder.
I have now all settings the same, the same app activated etc. and look at this Screenshot below! That's how I want it :)

So if someone has the same problem: backup your documents AC folder, rename it, start the game. Put all your customized ini's, apps, setups etc. back in and it should be solved. Really strange...:rolleyes:
AC_Fps_resolved.JPG

Last edited:
Please do not take too much notice of
This:- the 2600 uses half the band width of the
PCI bus, later processors use the full width, it may have something to do with how AC have re vamped their software. I could be more specific
But I am on my phone. I am sure someone else
Is in a better position than me to clarify.
I'm a bit of if a thick "O" when it comes to
Modern computers. :thumbsdown:

Please do not take too much notice of
This:- the 2600 uses half the band width of the
PCI bus, later processors use the full width, it may have something to do with how AC have re vamped their software. I could be more specific
But I am on my phone. I am sure someone else
Is in a better position than me to clarify.
I'm a bit of if a thick "O" when it comes to
Modern computers. :thumbsdown:
It wasn't the problem, but actually this information is awesome!
I didn't think about it but you are right! If the loads of the Processors (GPU and CPU) are not at 100% but they are too slow, the band width it usually the problem! It's like with RAM: I overclocked it to 1600 instead of 1333 and when my CPU reaches 100% load when rendering for example, the OCed RAM gives me a little boost.

And when I overclock my graphics card the VRAM overclock gives me a higher fps boost than overclocking the core speed!

Don't sell yourself short! Having the band width from different CPUs in mind is actually quite "techy" :thumbsup::inlove:

EDIT: Problem NOT solved... I didn't activate all apps (they got deactivated) plus Mirror and Reflexions weren't back to max setting. Stuttering again... It seems like the AC-Engine can't handle too much drawcalls and can't access all power of my CPU :(
It seems like I modified some of these settings in the last weeks without really noticing it. Will try to reach the perfect settings :)

Okay, problem solved by deleting (renamed) the Assetto Corsa folder in the Documents.
I have no idea why but it was mentioned at the official forum so I gave it a go. I have NO idea how that solves anything because I copied all my customized files back into the newly created folder.
I have now all settings the same, the same app activated etc. and look at this Screenshot below! That's how I want it :)

So if someone has the same problem: backup your documents AC folder, rename it, start the game. Put all your customized ini's, apps, setups etc. back in and it should be solved. Really strange...:rolleyes:
View attachment 201593

Hi
I get exactly the same thing. So rename documents folder or do I have to delete it? It's just you said put files back in. Want to check before I do it. Thanks

Hi
I get exactly the same thing. So rename documents folder or do I have to delete it? It's just you said put files back in. Want to check before I do it. Thanks
Sorry man that I didn't answer! Totally forgot about this thread :thumbsdown::x3:

The solution is: too many apps... Of course some graphic mods etc. can do their part too so if your problem isn't solved by deactivating every app: reload AC completely. The documents folder won't solve anything, there are no settings that can modify anything important (only shadowmap size and antialiasing but putting the ingame sliders to a "default" position will overwrite it!).

I had different weather mods, customized ini files etc. and by reloading everything I got around 10fps back but with all the app activated I still had these damn FPS drops!

I found a post about it in the sidekick support thread where the modder said something like
"The objects in the apps are real performance killers. The calculations aren't the problem, you can do whatever you like without even 1 fps lost. But if you put objects in your app like tire symbols, numbers, colours, logos etc, it will eat up your fps. Strange thing...".

So I reworked my complete HUD to have as few objects as possible! The real killer is "Substanding" but I love this app too much to delete it...

Here is a screenshot of my current setup. It's still too much for the race so you now have these 4 "desktops" where you can switch between complete app layouts. In the race I deactivate:
top left: ACTV - Info (driver name. very good for driver hopping in Qualifying or watching replays!)
Bottom left: FFB, essentials, laps
Right side: Live Timing and the chat

So while in a race I only have substanding on the left, track map and track description next to it. Sidekick in the middle bottom and the fuel next to it.

Sidekick is important because before I used the default apps: essentials, gears, pedals, tires etc. Too many objects and sidekick combines them. Got me about 15 fps at race start :rolleyes:

LRBFbSY9TU8eK8e-8WbXLONilVSzqLWsh_l_ZFHAaqE%2C3O1qooWzFbjiuY-qbpiXssaWcns_G4NSlQ4ZqzftVsQ

Brilliant thanks. So do u have to untuck the apps in the options section or just not have them active on ur screen?
That's a good question. Actv for example has let's say a fps hit of 10 fps when active. Only 3 fps when not displayed.
When the apps are activated in the options, they run in the background.
If they still have a fps hit is different from app to app...

You just have to experiment :(

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 325 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years