FOV?

Anyone got some good guide on how to get the right FOV in R3E? And I don't mean "I use x and it feels great", I mean a way to calculate what setting to use based on the size and aspect ration of my screen + distance from my eyes.

I've added the calculations to the FOV calculator.... but need to do some more work... as it shows the right multi.. but says FOV and degrees..I'll sort it tomorrow.

Also notice the base for triples is set to 40... so have adjusted the FOV calc for that too... even though I was on the closed beta team for R3E .. the FOV was completely off my radar as I was testing stock...

OK..FOV calculator is updated for RRRE / R3E / RaceRooom Racing Experience to give the multiplier for both single and triple screen... note the FOV is the same calculation but the multiplier is different as each car has both base FOV's for single and triple screens, but should work. Let me know if it doesn't (I don't have triple screens anymore)!

You could have a look here then use a FOV calculator

Ok I play on an single screen projector with 106" and a range of 69" to my head. I calculated it with the linked FOV calculator and it says FOV = 0.7x (39.2°). I never changed the FOV in any game so I am clueless what to do now? The first page you linked says "change the 58.00000000 to 75.00000000". Do I still have to do this? Or what does that 0.7x (39.2°) mean and where do I change this?

Last edited:
Ok I play on an single screen projector with 106" and a range of 69" to my head. I calculated it with the linked FOV calculator and it says FOV = 0.7x (39.2°). I never changed the FOV in any game so I am clueless what to do now? The first page you linked says "change the 58.00000000 to 75.00000000". Do I still have to do this? Or what does that 0.7x (39.2°) mean and where do I change this?
You change it in video settings in raceroom, bottom option FOV - set it to 0.7 and see how you get on :)

With low FOV you do loose out on a lot of side vision, this is why people run triple screens. You can and should combat that by sitting as close as possible and comfortable to the screen, and using the right FOV for that range. Also, as mentioned earlier, you can go a few degrees above the optimal FOV to gain a little more side vision.

I have an 84" projected 21:9 image wrapped around me and get a more or less 1:1 (actually 1.1:1) scale at 26.5" away from the screen and only see the drivers mirror and most of the door.... I'm not far off seeing the passenger's mirror, so much so that if I get in an original Mini or an Fiat 500, I can see half of it.

Thanks I will try it out. With my settings and a fov of 39 in Assetto Corsa it looks like this.

cs7g2tqvp8bl5z2kp.jpg

I had more fun with R3E for the last weeks. So I guess that is maybe also (besides FFB) because the FOV in R3E was better than in AC. Will check both games out. Because my FOV for AC was set at 54 and was pretty wide. In R3E it was at 1.0 and was very close to the wheel. Now both look similair.

@Paul Walker, been perusing your Project Immersion site. In regards to downsampling and clarity with your current monitors (and software), which sim is producing the best results? AC, RRRE or pCARS?
Hard to pick between R3E and AC for clarity... pCARS, really don't play that much.. way to many CTD for me.... it still too buggy to test properly and has gone so far backwards in my opinion since development for next gen took over.

Thanks, Paul. :thumbsup:

Somewhat surprised about pCARS, but it is great to see RRRE's quality is on par with AC.

I am keeping an eye on your project. Never thought one would get this level of integration with different monitors and systems outside professional setups. Just great!

Ok I tried AC now with the FOV of 39 (before it was 54 standard setting). It feels so strange at the moment but after 10 minutes I got a bit used to it. It feels very direct, like 1:1 steering. And I increased my laptime. Still feels strange when driving but I guess I get used to it.

Thanks for your calculator, never thought that the FOV would make such a big difference.

Ok I tried AC now with the FOV of 39 (before it was 54 standard setting). It feels so strange at the moment but after 10 minutes I got a bit used to it. It feels very direct, like 1:1 steering. And I increased my laptime. Still feels strange when driving but I guess I get used to it.

Thanks for your calculator, never thought that the FOV would make such a big difference.
No problem man... I remember discovering proper FOV some years ago, it was a total epiphany, a life changing time, a eureka moment.... I just felt connected... and things have gone ridiculous now for me trying to achieve total immersion... just watch out you don't get the bug!

I totally understand you. If it bites you, that is it. You can't stop making improvements when you see room for them.

What surprises me is that only a small percentage of simracers pay proper attention to FOV - as opposed to purchasing the next big thing (hardware wise) - when they're trying to figure out ways of improving their lap times.

Getting faster = Practice > Correct settings > Good pedals > Good wheel
But there's a lot to be said for adding more peripheral vision as far as racing others on track goes, I would love to run triples but I think the consumer version of the Rift will be out before I can fit 3 mons to my rig, so I'll prob go for that instead.

No problem man... I remember discovering proper FOV some years ago, it was a total epiphany, a life changing time, a eureka moment.... I just felt connected... and things have gone ridiculous now for me trying to achieve total immersion... just watch out you don't get the bug!

Yep way better immersion now after I got used to it. Its so strange, you take corners better and as you said it feels you are connected now. So far I only raced with the Tatuus Abarth (open wheeler). Will see how the game will feel in an closed cockpit.

But at raceroom the 0.7 setting was somehow too much. In AC I can still see a bit of the cockpit but in R3R I had almost no cockpit with 0.7. It feels very good but on some situations you cant see the corner when you are in it. I set it to 0.8 for now and it is a bit better. But 1.0 felt the best somehow. Will play a bit more around with the settings.

And I setted up my CS Pedals properly now. That is also a huge difference. Before I was playing on maximum brake setting (the wheel on the pedals). Now I put it at medium and the braking feels very natural. Also the tyres almost don´t block anymore.

As Kjell said, it looks like it is important to setup your hardware and FOV correctly. I play racing games for 6-7 years now but never did any setup to my hardware and the FOV because I always thought the game devs already pick the best settings.

Do keep in mind that in most games, including R3E, you can adjust your seat position.
FOV is not a setting for where the camera is positioned within the car, but how much side to side (or in some games top to bottom) information to be shown on screen, the default setting is usually kinda like looking through a fisheye lense, you get too much peripheral vision.
Running a high FOV does however give you a greater sense of speed, as in it feels like you are going faster.
So, after setting the right FOV, play around with seat position to get the camera somewhere that seems correct, imagine your screen is a window looking into the game and try to make the monitor show you exactly what you'd expect to see if it was a window into the virtual car.
Needs a bit of tinkering, but once you've gotten used to running with the correct FOV and found a camera position which is good, it will make it easier to hit apexes and judge the position of your car on track in relation to everything else. Imo that is ofc.

Edit: Ninjaed by @Ricky78 :p

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back