FOV with something new.

I just noticed something that I don't recall being mentioned in all the other threads around the simosphere about FOV(field of view).

For the longest time I played with a FOV much higher than my calculated correct FOV because at first I didn't know any better and then once I learned the basics, I wouldn't lower it much because it was too hard to get used to. Once I finally forced myself to start lowering it, I found it to be true what all the FOV nerds would say about it being easier to hit braking points and how it hinders peripheral vision with the single monitor.

My correct FOV for my monitor and eye point relationship is 31degrees. Up until a few weeks ago I have been running around 44-48deg which was much better than the 65-70degs I ran for a long time before that and my lap times and consistency got much better the lower I took the FOV and closer to correct.

In the last couple weeks I decided to force myself to slowly and incrementally take the FOV to 31deg. When I finally got to 31 I noticed 3 things....

1. Peripheral vision got horrible so I turned on all 3 virtual mirrors and that cured that issue.
2. My lap times continued to fall due to being able brake even later with much more control.
3. The rotational rate of the car(world), in sharper corners, for the first time looks right.

Number 3 is the new and fantastic revelation of using my calculated correct FOV. With higher FOV's and in sharp corners, the car(world) always looked like it was rotating too slowly and It tricked my brain into thinking the rear was sliding even though it wasn't and it made it difficult to catch a slide when the rear was really sliding because of this overly slow rotation due to the pinched view of the world.

It's like a whole new world in sim racing now. I am able to get through the esses at Mid Ohio and the hairpin at Sebring with ease and without the sense of the car over steering when it's not. I am not sure what the scientific term for this phenomenon is but I would like to know.

For the record, I am not an FOV nazi that thinks everyone should use their calculated correct FOV. I have never heard anyone mention this aspect of it before and just wanted to let others know.

Last edited:
Ok, lets try something different, is there anybody out there with an anecdote of when or how a correct fov helped them after trying it. In a race or something. I know for me it's was in an Indy car with 4 cars coming down a long stretch, couldn't see the braking point but knew where I was on the track because the fov was correct. A light went off for me at that point.

Why do we need to discuss this?
Each to everybody's own, aye?

Mr. X likes narrow FoV to hit his marks, Mr. Y loves wide FoV for the speed immersion, Mr. Z loves the middle ground for enough peripheral vision while still hitting all his markers.

Yes, there's a theoretical optimum, but there's something like personal preference and you can't argue against that.

So under the flag of "to each his own", we can't have a discussion on the benefits of correct fov, which is the premise of the OP.

Not with those guys who don't agree.
With the guys who are open to that discussion, yes you can.

It just doesn't make ANY sense discussing with guys who never intended to be open for that discussion.

Then they should not interject into the conversation, every single person that claims to enjoy the benefits of correct fov, stated "but to each his own", all throughout this thread, but that wasn't enough for the people that don't use it or don't believe in it.

Yep, sim racing setups and info is already overwhelming for average gamer, the last thing we need is a ton of misinformation about FOV, there's a ton of guides (Empty box does good vid) repeating exactly what we've been saying about the importance of correct FOV, Ive also said in this thread about seat movement and the ability to set correct fov and just move your seat to whatever preference you want anyway so no idea why youd argue not to set correct FOV.

So Im not gonna be "politically correct" and say wrong FOV is about "preference", its not,seat position is "preference",FOV there is really just wrong or right, and EVERY sim racer should be aiming to get as close to their calculated FOV as possible.

It's funny that you mention Empty Box, because one of the things that he get's pissed off about is when somebody says that "they don't get a sense of speed in a certain sim". At one point I think he threatened to punch somebody in the face if they say it, LOL He has stated many times that it is in the fov, and that all modern sims are using the same or very close to the same equation to get their fov. If you use an extremely high fov, the sense of speed is greater and the braking markers will come upon you quicker especially if your settings are set not to see textures far off in the distance.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back