FOV setting multiplier explained

You're probably aware that R3E doesn't offer the usual FOV setting in degrees, but instead opts for setting FOV via a cryptic multiplier number. Thankfully, it has been recently explained on S3 forum in one of the posts what the number actually means:

It is a multiplier of the default FOV value of 58 degrees (vertical FOV). So for your convenience, here's a conversion table of all possible in-game FOV values.

1.3x - 75.4 degrees
1.2x - 69.6 degrees
1.1x - 63.8 degrees
1.0x - 58 degrees
0.9x - 52.2 degrees
0.8x - 46.4 degrees
0.7x - 40.6 degrees
0.6x - 34.8 degrees
0.5x - 29 degrees

Apparently, according to the post, it's also possible to set a specific FOV value not available through the setting, but it has to be done by editing the game files (as explained there).

Thought people might find this useful and worth sharing.

Edit: A more accurate way (but also more elaborate and I am personally not a big fan of such car file edits myself, because it can be difficult to troubleshoot later in case you forget about it) of setting FOV thanks to @RasmusP:

If you want to change the fov to an exact value, here's what to do:
Go into the cameras folder of each car. You can set the fov for each camera separately but the most important should be cockpit_driver_view or the _triples variant of that.

Path:

\\Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData\Cars\%CarFolder%\Cameras\cockpit_driver_view.xml

The line for the fov is:

<fov type="float32">58.00000000</fov>

The multiplier in the game is NOT changing that value! It multiplies that value without touching the files!

So you need to set the multiplier ingame back to 1.0 and then change the line in ALL the .xml for each car separately.

With Notepad++ or "find and replace" tools you can "search in directory"/"open directory as workspace" and then search in all files.
Set file-type to "cockpit_driver_view.xml" and then find and replace:

"<fov type="float32">%defaultNumber</fov>"

with

"<fov type="float32">%YourCustomFOVnumber</fov>"

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 387850

Interesting, I was tweaking the FOV recently and was confused by the “multiplier”. At least now it makes sense even if the choice of nomenclature is questionable ;)

One thing I have noticed is that if I leave the multiplier at the default 1x and hop between the 650S and Bentley in the GT3 class the two cars seem to be scaled completely differently. The 650S looks pretty much as I’d expect for the default FOV but the Bentley looks all kinds of wrong with the dashboard and steering wheel appearing far too small. Surlely with the same multiplier set all the cars should be appropriately scaled when jumping between them?

In all seriousness, though, the seating position and the view from these two cars seems to be very different even in real life, so I'm not sure how much of this is an actual in-game issue.

• Deleted member 387850

That's a fair point, and seeing I've never sat in either I'm completely making assumptions about how I imagine they should appear! Either way, a bit of tweaking and they both look "right" so I can't complain!

Thanks a lot for this thread and the link in there! I managed to set the same fov of "49" for raceroom that I use for all sims :)

If you want to change the fov to an exact value, here's what to do:
Go into the cameras folder of each car. You can set the fov for each camera separately but the most important should be cockpit_driver_view or the _triples variant of that.
Path:
\\Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData\Cars\%CarFolder%\Cameras\cockpit_driver_view.xml

The line for the fov is:
<fov type="float32">58.00000000</fov>

The multiplier in the game is NOT changing that value! It multiplies that value without touching the files!

So you need to set the multiplier ingame back to 1.0 and then change the line in ALL the .xml for each car separately.

With Notepad++ or "find and replace" tools you can "search in directory"/"open directory as workspace" and then search in all files.
Set file-type to "cockpit_driver_view.xml" and then find and replace:
"<fov type="float32">%defaultNumber</fov>"
with
"<fov type="float32">%YourCustomFOVnumber</fov>"

Edit: Changed the default value to the correct one of "58.000"

Last edited:
The line for the fov is:
<fov type="float32">49.00000000</fov>

The default is a different value! And the multiplier in the game is NOT changing that value! It multiplies that value!
Do you actually have an unedited camera file with the fov value being different from 58? I just looked through several of them and every single one was set at 58 by default.

Do you actually have an unedited camera file with the fov value being different from 58? I just looked through several of them and every single one was set at 58 by default.
Think it's a misunderstanding. I don't have an original file anymore, sadly. I couldn't remember the default value though which is why I wrote that sentence below "my" line.

Now that you say the default is 58 (oh my I'm stupid, you have the default in your first post... Was tired and on the phone...), I should just replace the 49.000 in "The line for the fov is:" with 58.0000 :whistling::ninja:

And yep, the files all have the default in it and the ingame multiplier takes that value and changes it "on the fly", without editing the files.
Which is why the ingame setting needs to be set at 1.0 when typing in the actual fov value directly into the files.

I'll edit my post...

Vertical fov? The default is 58 vertical? Horizontal would kindof make a little sense @58...my horizontal is 38.5, so should I be setting the files for 21.6?

16x9 if your wondering
It's always Vertical FOV that you're setting.

EDIT: Not sure how I know that, it's just always referred to as vertical. Now I'm actually questioning it myself... :cautious:

Has anyone tried to modify the multiplier directly instead of all the car files? Ingame, there are some restrictions. For example it is only exact to 0.1 and the lowest value is 0.5. For my setup I would need 0.38 or maybe 0.4 would be okay as well.

In general, graphic settings are stored here:
"\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\graphics_options.xml"

The vFOV multiplier is marked in this screenshot:
1574934093089.png

Below you find some setting I tried. In conclusion, I wish I would have the field of view with multiplier 0.7, since I see all I want to see. By calculation, a multiplier of 0.38 would give me realistic FOV. In the graphic_options file, you can set your multiplier directly and even with more than one decimal place. The multipliers 0.38 and 0.4 are different and since the graphics file uses 8 decimal places behind the comma, I assume it will be exact to 8 decimal places.

I also tried to provoke an error and just entered "0.4", but raceroom will just change it into "0.40000000" (or weirdly "0.40000001" in my case).

Cockpit_vFOV_038_small.png

Vertical FOV is set to 0.38

Cockpit_vFOV_040_small.png

Vertical FOV is set to 0.4

Cockpit_vFOV_050_small.png

Vertical FOV is set to 0.5

Cockpit_vFOV_070_small.png

Vertical FOV is set to 0.7

All in all, maybe this is a different approach in case you dont want to edit all your car files.

I should also note, I identified one drawback already: When you change something in your video settings, the vFOV selector will overwrite your setting. You have to restart the game to use your manually edited vFOV multiplier.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 124 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 98 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 65 6.7%
  • < 5 years