FOV problem ??

Kek700

Premium
FOV is quite easy to establish; but it is when i try and sort
the seating position
I have always been somewhat preoccupied with the view including the front
wing mirror, instrument panel etc, etc.
But it has always felt incorrect, but how do you know what is correct seating position is.
Considering i am sitting in a race seat with a steering wheel in front and then the body of the motor representing the steering column then an attached instrument binnacle and finally the monitor placed near the end of these.
I have tried the steering wheel diameter thingy but that did not seem correct.
Then it finally dawned on me that the monitors true position
is really were the MoTec dash board would be placed , luckily
the MoTec dash has the model number on it “ADL3”.
So i looked up it’s dimensions ( 180 mm wide ), so i moved
the seat until the diameter of 180mm was measured on the
screen.
It all looks as it should now, admittedly the view at the front is
limited, but with crewchief implemented it sort of takes care of that problem.

Could be completely wrong in my assumption but I thought
it may help someone, maybe me included.:whistling:

Feel free to criticise if i am wrong, it would certainly be helpful
to me as this problem has bugged me for ages.

I have been constantly moving my seat position backwards and forwards without
the knowledge of what is correct .:confused::confused:

It's not correct. It would only be correct if the Motec box appeared right where your monitor is, but it's obviously behind the monitor so you would need to reach inside the monitor in order to measure it...

The default seat position should be correct anyway.

Thats is exactly what i now see, ( or don’t see :)), just the top of the dashboard and
some of it’s vertical surface.
The instrument panel, ( MoTec ), out of view. That is also why i am going the Simhub route.
And anyway i have a rev bar and gear indicator ontop of the wheel housing.
Also hoping that by removing most of the App’s from the screen i will have a saving in FPS.
But unsure at the moment if the extra low resolution screen will effect my Gpu load and hence
reduce my in game FPS ( 800 x 400 ) . Worth a try .

Am I mistaken or aren't you speaking about AC rather than ACC ?
You mention here Apps and CrewChief ... and there is none of it for ACC.
I think you didn't realize you were posting in the wrong main thread. ;)

Nonetheless, I'm really OK with what Peter said above: in a real car ( but not sure at all for a race car ) without having a slight glance downwards ... we may see the instruments due to our vertical view field but you cannot really read it. ( you may see it but not really look at it )

Looking straight at the screen, with a single screen ( Ultrawide or not ), I feel that the most realistic view finally is the dashcam.
In AC, with TrackIR the cockpit view is OK for a kind of similar option ... while in ACC without TrackIR not yet supported, after many trials, in order not to have a too big FOV and see clearly enough due to the windshield black and not transparent banner ... your vertical view is much too limited in a single screen.

I tried for ACC I don't know how many times to find a correct FOV and seat position with or Helmet or cockpit view .... and finally found yesterday that the most correct one in my case was the dashcam at FOV 35 with my 29" ultrawide LG monitor ( situated just at 10 cm behind the back of the Logitech G27 wheel on my Playseat Challenge ). Correct and offering a decent view on track.
For the first time after weeks I felt that finally the car dimensions and track width were better balanced.

NB: I still have to find how to keep this Dashcam view for each game session .... as I noticed, when beginning a new session, the Cockpit view was automatically chosen although the view 2 minutes ago was .... the Dashcam one !?????

the seating position
But it has always felt incorrect, but how do you know what is correct seating position is.
Considering i am sitting in a race seat with a steering wheel in front and then the body of the motor representing the steering column then an attached instrument binnacle and finally the monitor placed near the end of these.
screen.

Like you I used to be preoccupied by FOV, as it never feel right no matter how much time and efforts I put into it, that was until I started using VR, now my FOV is perfect.

Bugger, you are so right ”Jempy”:rolleyes:, i have just recently been flipping between AC and ACC.
Will soon purchase ACC. i could wait until it is a more rounded package, but it
is so easy to be left behind, making catching up very difficult.
Especially when a lot of forum time seems filled with bickering ( sorry ) making
it difficult to sort the chaf from the wheat.

I would probably re post in AC, but as i have not been shot down in flames i will
assume my hypothesis is reasonably sound ( open

Thanks again , i would probably not have noticed .:redface::redface:

Like you I used to be preoccupied by FOV, as it never feel right no matter how much time and efforts I put into it, that was until I started using VR, now my FOV is perfect.

So true, i have spent a bit of time with VR, i still feel apprehensive about using
it all the time though.

would probably re post in AC
Want me to move it? :)
And I agree with all of you! My biggest problem is that I need at least 100cm distance between eyes and screen or my eyes will start to hurt after a while. Although the distances etc would be correct in 2D, my eyes still have to focus at the monitor distance...
Great thing about VR since you see everything in 3D and can actually focus a bit further away afaik. Not sure if that's right though!

It's not correct. It would only be correct if the Motec box appeared right where your monitor is, but it's obviously behind the monitor so you would need to reach inside the monitor in order to measure it...

The default seat position should be correct anyway.

Yes there is a lump of truth in that, i did not quite realise how much they centralise the
driver, when i recalculated the size of the MoTec dash with the correct perspective
it did make a difference to seat position. Not a lot , but a difference.:redface::geek:

Want me to move it? :)
And I agree with all of you! My biggest problem is that I need at least 100cm distance between eyes and screen or my eyes will start to hurt after a while. Although the distances etc would be correct in 2D, my eyes still have to focus at the monitor distance...
Great thing about VR since you see everything in 3D and can actually focus a bit further away afaik. Not sure if that's right though!

That is a long way to the monitor, i would feel somewhat disassociated from the
driving experience. But i am sure that needs must and you soon get used to it.

I love VR, but it’s the processing power and all associated costs that really bug me.
Could do with a revolutionary increment in VR to offset PC processing requirements :)

Yes there is a lump of truth in that, i did not quite realise how much they centralise the
driver, when i recalculated the size of the MoTec dash with the correct perspective
it did make a difference to seat position. Not a lot , but a difference.:redface::geek:

That is a long way to the monitor, i would feel somewhat disassociated from the
driving experience. But i am sure that needs must and you soon get used to it.

I love VR, but it’s the processing power and all associated costs that really bug me.
Could do with a revolutionary increment in VR to offset PC processing requirements :)
Yep it's indeed too far away! Which is why my Dell aw3418dw 34" 3440x1440 120 Hz gsync monitor is on its way and hopefully will be a good one from the ips lottery and join my desk for the ultimate studying experience right before Christmas :D
Yep, you read correctly.. I mainly wanted uwqhd for office work. Text is too blurry on 27" 1080p and you also can't read text while scrolling at only 60 Hz. And I will enjoy the additional space for ebooks or PDFs!
But at 650€ mininum for 100hz uwqhd I thought I would spare me the costs of a new cpu and gpu by going with gsync and be okay with everything between 45-120 fps while gaming :D

the seating position
screen.

Hey there Kek700, if you're still having the same concerns I just wanted to reassure you that you are definitely not alone ! Having spent endless hours over the years trying to get a fully immersive FOV in sims I have come to the conclusion that FOV calculators are actually off... as a simple example in PC2, having checked that the default cockpit cam eye origins are actually matched to the driver, FOV calculators suggest 58° for me (144cm horizontal screen viewed from 130cm away) but the correct angle, based again on endless hours of real life comparisons is actually perceptively most accurate at 50°. AC is calculated at 35° but is correct at 29°. Hands up, I have no explanation for this but looking on dedicated sites like Project Immersion they also state adjusting the calculated result by 5-10° to preference ! Again, I don't know why but with sim geometry on a single flat 2D screen, given that we see from a two point source the maths is indeed off ;) Anyway, all the best and enjoy :)

P.S. unfortunately this does mean that a 65" 16:9 HD 1080 is the minimum size screen for AC

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing