FOV Opinions Please

Have played around with FOV settings since the beginning. Have used the calculators, one suggests 31, one says 35 and another says 59 according to my monitor size and position from me.
Width 19" Height 10.5" Distance to eyes 30". None have felt right.
So I decided to try and go for a more natural look as you would see behind the wheel. Set FOV to 65
set seat position to how I think it would look. Have uploaded a video for some feedback on this, apologies for quality it was recorded using frapps, and forgive the spin off. Also used is FaceTrackNOIR.
Not my best lap but I go more for realism than breaking records, although any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Yep, its mathematical alright, and in no way the guaranteed way to get the immersion everyone is looking for.

Hence the multiple calculators, discussions and people making adjustments...even shock horror when presented with the so called holy grail....

Whatever floats your boat ofc, but I honestly believe that anyone who is a non believer of correct FOV is someone who has not taken the time needed to try get used to running it (or have made some errors while setting it up).
I just don't understand why some people spend a ton of money on their rigs and then don't do the proper research on how to set them up correctly. I see people running 3 screens side by side with no angle, or at close to 90 degree angle. People running full rig with triple screen and the full shebang of Fanatec gear, but the FOV they run is like pulled right out of Need for Speed....
But again, their rigs, their money, their choice. :)

Whenever I get new glasses, the calculations to correct my ever changing astigmatism says the prescription should be a certain figure. However, my brain will not train itself to use the correct calculation. Thus the tests with "close" lens to see which ones my brain will work with. A set FOV based on exact calculations will not always translate to how one's brain reacts. Having said that, the calculations are a good start and one must adjust to their needs. One may want to fudge one direction from the calculations, let the brain adjust and then tune in closer to the calculated FOV until the brain stops adjusting and then move back the previous "working" FOV for the user.

So me in living room, 200cm from a 47'' TV , should i choose 29 FOV?

Jim, use the calculator, enter your data, it will give you the FOV value you should use.

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

If at all possible seat closer to your screen it will give you a nicer FOV and a more immersive driving experience. The screen right behind your wheel base usually yield a very satisfactory result

Jim, use the calculator, enter your data, it will give you the FOV value you should use.

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

If at all possible seat closer to your screen it will give you a nicer FOV and a more immersive driving experience. The screen right behind your wheel base usually yield a very satisfactory result
Doesn't that mean he should use an FOV of 16.6? I don't think that is a good idea even if it is coerect. :p

Ive played around with this over the last few days as mine is a FOV of 12 according to the calc's. So i did 12 and it was silly but on 29" ultra widescreen siting 50" away is what the calc says so i thought I'd try it......... it was painful. I am now at a FOV of 20 which works really well for the apex's but I feel half blind if u know what I mean but the if is if I adjust to FOV 24 / 26 / 28 / 30 / 34 everything seems to far away compared to a FOV of 20 so I am going to give that a go for a few days.

I'll feedback in a few days ;-)

Ive played around with this over the last few days as mine is a FOV of 12 according to the calc's. So i did 12 and it was silly but on 29" ultra widescreen siting 50" away is what the calc says so i thought I'd try it......... it was painful. I am now at a FOV of 20 which works really well for the apex's but I feel half blind if u know what I mean but the if is if I adjust to FOV 24 / 26 / 28 / 30 / 34 everything seems to far away compared to a FOV of 20 so I am going to give that a go for a few days.

I'll feedback in a few days ;-)
Are you seriously sitting 50" away from your 29" monitor? That's VERY far from such a "small" screen (compared to a TV). Personally I'm about 58cm from my 29" ultra wide when I play racing sims, that's approx 22,8" and I run a FOV of about 28-30 in AC, feels great.

Edit: A note on that, I can understand why people feel the result of the calc is way off if they are sitting way too far from the screen, you need to get the screen as close as possible to your wheel!

Edit: A note on that, I can understand why people feel the result of the calc is way off if they are sitting way too far from the screen, you need to get the screen as close as possible to your wheel!

The calculation includes the distance from the screen, its mathamatical, valid and correct.

Hell, if we just start adjusting varibles to suit then the entire argument collapses...

The calculation includes the distance from the screen, its mathamatical, valid and correct.

Hell, if we just start adjusting varibles to suit then the entire argument collapses...
I'm suggesting moving the screen closer to ones eyes, not using the wrong numbers...........

@Kjell Eilertsen yeah I run a 2560*1080 res in a full racing seat with a g27. Its the LG 29" ultra wide monitor and its 50" to my eyes. Like I say a FOV 20 is working good, I just need to get used to it. I am probably seeing 3 quarters of the dash with the top of the steering wheel.

http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-29EA93
Why on earth are you so far from your screen? ><
Here's some people getting it wrong:
07589e134c5e49b2d939c5f9c8cd7f44.jpg
Racing%20Sim07.jpg
Here's one doing it right:
25bl.jpg

Why move closer when the calculation incorperates the distance from the screen and gives the correct fov?

Its correct isn't it?

And all those guys are doing it right......

Why move closer when the calculation incorperates the distance from the screen and gives the correct fov?
Cause closer to the screen gives you a bigger fov so you have less need to 'compromise' to 'feel right' like so many people are suggesting in the thread.

If you're using the FOV it suggests and it's fine then no need to move anything.

Ok, try two options yourself and then tell me where the flaw is.
option 1: 29" screen (21:9), 60" away from the player. Calculator suggests 10.9 degrees vertical FOV.
option 2: 29" screen (21:9), 30" away from the player. Calculator suggests 21.6 degrees vertical FOV.

Both of these are correct FOVs, the second one's larger, which I'm saying is more usable. Where's the flaw.

In the first pic the guy's definitely got FOV configured less than optimal, you can tell by the size of the steering wheel on the screen. It should look 'life size' behind your controller, so probably a bit larger than most controllers.

You seriously cant see the giant flaw in your logic?
There is no flaw in his argument what so ever. Move the screen closer so it covers more of your peripheral vision and adjust the ingame FOV accordingly;
FOV 60.png

FOV 30.png

Halving the distance between your eyes and the screen doubles the ingame FOV you should run, that's twice as much of the ingame world you'll be seeing! Not only that, but you are also covering a bigger portion of your field of vision, which in and of itself increases immersion.

Here's the above examples screenshotted in AC, both with the seat pulled back as far as possible (you need to adjust the seat position to relate to where your IRL wheel is compared to the ingame visuals, this is done for demonstrating the difference only):
11° FOV @ 60" from the screen:
2014-11-13_00001.jpg

21° FOV @ 30" from the screen:
2014-11-13_00002.jpg

Needless to say, if you want to run the (mathematically) CORRECT FOV, you should move your monitor as close as you can to your wheel!

Finally, if you for any reason don't want to take my word for it, take it from someone who makes a living out of building simulator rigs;
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/best-inmersion-in-our-cockpit.95401/

The flaw is the fact that we are viewing a virtual world through a flat panel, None of your numbers get around this limitation, all of the fov's are affected by it, and none within some pretty wide numbers are any more or less "real" then the others.

That aside, You are claiming something is 100 per cent correct and when it isn't or if it doesn't fit the users ideal you state they are doing it wrong.

I could move my chair much closer, It ain't going to matter a damn. What suits is what suits.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back