FOV Opinions Please

Have played around with FOV settings since the beginning. Have used the calculators, one suggests 31, one says 35 and another says 59 according to my monitor size and position from me.
Width 19" Height 10.5" Distance to eyes 30". None have felt right.
So I decided to try and go for a more natural look as you would see behind the wheel. Set FOV to 65
set seat position to how I think it would look. Have uploaded a video for some feedback on this, apologies for quality it was recorded using frapps, and forgive the spin off. Also used is FaceTrackNOIR.
Not my best lap but I go more for realism than breaking records, although any feedback on this would be appreciated.

The DK2 has a limited FOV yes, the consumer version might (and probably will) have a slightly higher FOV but it won't approach filling the entire 180 degrees of human view (without eye movement). That having been said, you need to remember the 1:1 head tracking in the Rift, which means that you effectively have a 360 degree view. Your vision in the Rift is pretty much limited to what you'd see out of a racing helmet, works pretty well for us simracers don't you think? :)
It's not like a helmet - they typically allow for fairly unrestricted 180 degree view:

Nico-Rosberg-due.jpg

DK2 is more like this if not worse:

cairoli-close-up-helmet-goggles.jpg

However it is already better than most helmets (and monitors) for the amount of vertical view.

It's more like these amusing things:

vintage%20willson%20matsuda%20brown%20leather%20steampunk%20goggles_17.jpg

I am using 3x24 at 28 inches distance give or take an inch .... and the calulator is telling me to put it at 23 - 24 FOV ... which seems to make everything a little too up close and personal ... i am also running 4900 x 780 ( or something like that)
Wondering if anyone has a good base field of view for triples at roughly 28 inches ish

seems about right .. with 3x 24inces sitting that far away .. middle screen (it is the same for single or tripple) with 23 vFOV should provide realistic representation of world and those two extra screens on side should give you pretty nice experience .. personaly I would move few inches closer .. to 24 -20 inches for example so the vFOV would be 28 - 33 and side screens more on you pheripheral pulling you into the game :)

Yeah I need to do that ...I modded my rig ... originally It would have had my screens about 38 inches away, so put extendable arms on the mounts and that got me to 28 ... I'll try and add few woodblocks to the mounts and bring the forward ... cheers for the advice

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back