FOV and stuff

Kjell

Attachments

• GRAB_006.JPG
    GRAB_006.JPG
    1,007 KB · Views: 289
i find ive gotta "soften" the result of the fov calculator a little, i think mine came back at 22 and i set it at 27.
Im looking forward to getting my projector back from being serviced and see what the calculator lets me set the fov at, once we got the fov dialled in on my friends 50" tv the difference in immersion was amazing, the scale of the road and the scenery just seemed to suddenly be "right"

the lack of peripheral vision takes a bit of adjusting to and you have to use the virtual mirrors, but once you adjust its soooo much easier getting your cornering right.

I use around 52 to.55° but I have my 24" as close as possible. With it being further away it is hard to drive. I am very used to it and it is a lot better when racing others. I cant handle these super low FOVs might be more realistic, but that is to limited for me with a single screen.

Here my FOV single screen 24" 1920x1200 as close to me as possible maybe 40 to

Well I sit 30 inches from my screen and I have a 29" widescreen 2560x1080 res and 21.9 ratio. The calculator I used said 22 fov for rf2 and I took a second off my time at Putnam. As for racing with other cars I can't comment yet but In a real race car, they have supports either side of their head so the view will be restricted for them as well. At 50 fov then You re seeing 2 wheels so that isn't realistic. I'll try racing with it first and If it's no good then I'll change it.

Well I sit 30 inches from my screen and I have a 29" widescreen 2560x1080 res and 21.9 ratio. The calculator I used said 22 fov for rf2 and I took a second off my time at Putnam. As for racing with other cars I can't comment yet but In a real race car, they have supports either side of their head so the view will be restricted for them as well. At 50 fov then You re seeing 2 wheels so that isn't realistic. I'll try racing with it first and If it's no good then I'll change it.
Hi Jim. Can I have a pic of your setup. I am planning on buying the same monitor. Thanks!

It's not any closer to the windscreen. FOV does not move your seat (or virtual head, virtual eyes, in-game camera, whatever you want to call it), it simply adjusts the FOV. The spawning point of that view (the location where the image gets created from, the head/eye/camera/seat location) does not change in the slightest way from just adjusting the FOV.

If you have settled for one of those 21:9 monitors, then you can think of the 29" models as an extra wide 23" (or 24?, can't remember) 16:9 monitor, and the 34" models as an extra wide 27" 16:9 monitor.

Basically, try to get a 34" if funds permit :)

Also, don't be afraid of compensating a few degrees for some added peripheral view, it's not a crime :), but don't go too high as you want to keep close to 1:1 with real-life. For example, my true real life FOV for my setup (24", 16:9, 38" distance from eyeball to screen) is 18 degrees, however, I was using 25 for a year, or so, to help with some more peripheral vision. I just recently went down to 23, 21, and finally 18, over a two or so week period (I also got a TrackIR which obviously helps) and am finally at my true 1:1 view, but using 25 instead of 18 for a whole year was still nice and pretty close to 1:1. In-case you were wondering, I use triples (multiview enabled of course).

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 108 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 203 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing